Tool for Brake pads

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I am getting ready to change my rotors and pads and was told by someone that I need a special tool to "turn in" the pistons in the rear calipers to fit in the new pads. Does anyone know what this tool is, if I need it, and where I can get it?
Thanks
Gary

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needle nose pliers will only work if the piston turns pretty freely. If your car isn't driven much like most Vipers, the pistons might be pretty hard to turn. Most universal brake caliper tools don't have the correct size adaptor for the Viper's caliper piston either since the Viper has a smaller piston than most other cars.

I made a tool out of a socket by grinding it down leaving two tangs on opposite sides. Works great and is alot cheaper than buying the tool from DC.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A third option is short, stubby needle nose pliers with the tips ground to fit. Please don't use pliers on the edges or any hammers - the lip for the dust boot isn't that well supported.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, I have a brake caliper retracting kit with a
special adapter that fits the stock Viper caliper.
I have used this many times and it works great. I won this
kit at a Viper Days event two year ago. It retails for
$300. I will sell for $100. I can get you the name of the
kit if your interested. The caliper retracting tool makes easy
work of this job. However, some of the suggestions from the other
posts will work, just be careful not to damage the pistons.

Fast Eddie

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny is right on. Rear calipers on both my Vipers are(were) a real pain to turn in. Until I got Tom's rear caliper upgrade. Now they turn in easily with the DC tool.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys i appreciate all the info. I think I will see how hard they are to turn and then decide if i need the tool. I actually ordered a tool from tool wharehouse called a "rear disk brake piston retraction tool" say's it fits most cars and was only 8.00. Here is the link if anyone is interested-http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LIS-28600.html
- I hope it works, if not I might be interested in your set fast Eddie.
BTW, is motul the recommended brake fluid to use in a 99 without abs?
Gary

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys i appreciate all the info. I think I will see how hard they are to turn and then decide if i need the tool. I actually ordered a tool from tool wharehouse called a "rear disk brake piston retraction tool" say's it fits most cars and was only 8.00. Here is the link if anyone is interested-http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LIS-28600.html
Gary

That tool won't fit, you can buy it at any parts store. I made mine out of a socket....17mm.

2837brake_socket-med.jpg

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From a previous post on this subject, the two pins in the factory tool are 4mm in diameter and spaced 20 mm center-to-center.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,
If you prefer you can borrow caliper tool kit. You live about 15-20 minutes from me. It beats having to buy or improvising something.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,
If you prefer you can borrow caliper tool kit. You live about 15-20 minutes from me. It beats having to buy or improvising something.

VIPORXXX
If I get stuck I will pm you.
Thanks I appreciate it
Gary
:headbang:

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Most parts houses loan the brake caliper tool for N/C and just a deposit until your return it in good condition. It is much easier to use, and you can hang a 1/2" drive ratchet on it. You can also purchase just the disc you need for $10.00.
Alan

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From one of Tom's ( Tom, F&L GoR ) EXCELLENT posts on brakes where he mentioned making a rear brake "tool" for non-ABS cars by grinding down a socket:

"If you want to make a tool, the two holes are about 4mm diameter and 20mm apart. (nerd engineer remembers odd facts) Make the pins undersize, since the pistons aren't all exactly the same. "

as found in this old thread:

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...true#Post321295

AND, from 1Tony1...a photo of the tool he made:

"That tool won't fit, you can buy it at any parts store. I made mine out of a socket....17mm. "

Gary

That tool won't fit, you can buy it at any parts store. I made mine out of a socket....17mm.

2837brake_socket-med.jpg

HOPE THAT THIS HELPS !!!!!