Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First track day is Friday.

Any advice on top up or top down?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a roll bar most tracks will not allow top down.

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think "real" racing has different rules. I am not brave enough to do that but I do partake in a number of "drivers training" events.

At Portland International, it seems to be up to the people who rent the track (or their insurance).

For example, the BMW club (Friday) said its OK to run as long as you have "factory" roll over protection and he confirmed that the 2005 hoops counted.

For the corvette day in august, they said they had no restrictions on convertibles. I have a friend who is expecting his Z06 in time for that one. Should be fun.

Anyhow, still looking for thoughts on maximum speed saftey - top up or top down.

cheers -

j

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW - hard to imagine anyone caring if that canvas top is up or down. Seems like it would not provide much protection??

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been to a dozen different tracks and no one has ever cared if the top was up or down. I will say the car is more stable at high speed with the top up. I personally would not do over 130 MPH without a REAL roll bar. Factory hoops are for decoration only. There are several post regarding discussing this. Viperdays is the only promoter that requires a hard top or aftermarket roll bar to run the SRT.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eddie,

If you look closely I had an Autoform roll bar in the car when that picture was taken. I have never been to any track event without a rool bar. And now I will not be on any track without my hardtop in plcae. As far as the top up issue. It is a rule for both Viper Days and the Illinois VCA to have tops up when on a road course. Aside from the stability issue at speed, take it from one who has crashed his SRT10 if my top had not been up when we impacted a earthen berm backwards and sideways I would have had a severe whiplash sideways. My helmet hit the side of the top and stopped it from going too far sideways. That being said another reason is, if you are involved in any kind of incident you want your arms to be contained within the passanger compartment. God forbid you roll the car your arms will be kept inside the car, with the top down your arms would be the first things to go flying and certainly be broken when the car comes down on what I hope is an Autoform roll bar.

We are never afraid to spend money on these amazing automobiles to go faster but how many of you have spent money on your snake to make it safer. If you track the car make it as safe as possible IE; 1)six point harnesses, 2)roll bar, 3)Autoform hard top(only one approved for Viper Days), 4)driving suit, 5)fire supresion system.

That's my speach, but leave the top, up you may not look as cool but you will be safer.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:"

"We are never afraid to spend money on these amazing automobiles to go faster but how many of you have spent money on your snake to make it safer. If you track the car make it as safe as possible"

Good point, great advice :2tu: :2tu:

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw a beautiful black SRT slam the wall at VIR this past weekend, it will happen and you had better have as much safety equipment as you can

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn Eddie, sure wish you would have said a HANS Device stopped your head instead of a roll bar, but I guess it got the job done. Unless you,ve experienced a high speed crash it's hard to imagine how hairy it can get. The g forces whipping your body around make you feel like a rag doll. If you are tracking your car, think about a roll bar (or even better-a roll cage), top on if for no other reason than to keep your arms in the car, six point harness and a full face helmet.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the Hans device. That should be #2 after the six point harness. My first session last week at VIR I realized I had forgotten my Hans device. I went back to the pits on the first lap to get it. I promised my wife after seeing two guys hit the wall at Texas Motor Speedway last year that I would not go on the track withoug the Hans device. A promise to her and to myself that I never plan to break. Even my instructor (Phil G.) at Viper Days last week was wearing his while he was in my car. Maybe thats because we were going into the upper esses at 120MPH. The we spun in the second one, no problems, now that will wake your ASP up. Safety is the most important thing we can spend our money on.

KEEP THE TOP UP!!!!!!!!!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, what he says. I don't have the Hans device yet, but will soon.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather