Track insurance

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard from a couple fellow members that they were able to be covered under their insurance policy while on the track as long as it was considered a high speed driving instruction course. Im considering going to a local track BIR in Brainerd Minnesota, but talked to my State Farm insurance agent and said if the car was on a track it wont be covered period. Any other alternatives as far as a special policy that i can take out for the day? I'm not willing to go on the track without any coverage.

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your policy very, very likely excludes coverage for an event like that. It can get hairy (I know, I work in the auto insurance claims business) to define what is a "high speed driving instruction course", but for the most part the answer is a flat out no. You will not be covered, and there really is no insurance that will cover it. Just be careful.

Steve

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I called in my claim, I did a “Bill Clinton”, and although I didn't lie, I worded it to sound like it was my first time at a track, and I was doing a defensive driving course, and part of the course is on the track itself. I never lied and I also kept a very melancholy demeanor with the agent on the phone, letting on how upset I was with myself, so the agent might be more apt to feel my pain. In the end I’m happy. They’ll always get my business, so their happy.

As far as wreaking you car at the track. Unless you’ve got the experience to drive the car at speeds that make a little mistake can become a big wreck. You have nothing to worry about. I think if a rookie wrecks his car, he wasn’t really too worried about wrecking it in the first place. Bottom line, drive at your own ability, and drive that at 80%.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hell you couldn't even drive at 50% of my ability?
On a serious note though, I was under the impression that you are covered as long as it's a "driving school".

Here's something else to think about. My Life insurance agent was a neighbor of mine (few blocks away) and knew I had a Viper and would come nosing around with his kids. One day when he came around he noticed me unloading my trailer. He asked me where I was etc.. Me not thinking, but proud to show him my trophy from Viper Days at BIR, told him that I just got back from a HP Driving school.
The following year when I bought my other store I needed to up my life insurance another couple mil, he said oh ya, you race cars don't you? I told him no, I participate in HP driving schools.

Long story short, if I even come close to the track with my car, they will void my Life insurance policy. Infact the wanted to increase my premium because of it.
I of coarse was not impressed.
He insisted that they needed to raise my premium because of my "life style".
I told him that driving in a HP driving school was no more hazardious then going to a Scorpions concert, so he agreed that I was right and did not raise my premium.

But you see, I caught him and his buddy smoking *** at the back of the local arena a couple years earlier during a Scorpians concert! I'm sure he didn't disclose that little bit of info when he bought his own personal policy

:D

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lethal, LOL! That is a great story!

Funny, my agents have (always) looked out for me and advised me what info was on a "need to know" basis as far as the underwriter. Your agent must get more than the usual commission for your policy. Otherwise, he's just a narc.

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funk said the same thing Lethal about being covered as long as its a HP driving school... which it is since there is driving instruction, breaking drills etc, plus 5 hours of track time. I am hesitant to try to find a loop hole and find that i have a major battle on my hands if something does happen.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He insisted that they needed to raise my premium because of my "life style".
I told him that driving in a HP driving school was no more hazardious then going to a Scorpions concert, so he agreed that I was right and did not raise my premium.

But you see, I caught him and his buddy smoking *** at the back of the local arena a couple years earlier during a Scorpians concert! I'm sure he didn't disclose that little bit of info when he bought his own personal policy

That's classic! LOL

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be mislead, it is not the agent or the underwriter who has any say over how your claim is processed. It's the claims department that makes those decisions.

Steve

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya, but if he didn't know me personally. It would have never come up and been an issue from what I could see. At least until I neede to make a claim.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This company sells track insurance.

http://www.laurelde.com/index.html

The text below is from Laurel Driver Education web site

"The coverage you are requesting is from an insurance company that is not licensed in the United States of America or Canada..."

Has anyone had any experience with this company? Purchasing insurance is one thing...how about the payout in the event you need it. They will all take your money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala