Tracked my GTS! (NARRA pics too)+MORE pics

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....and all I can say is........OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to sell my Z06 track car and take the Viper to the track yesterday for the first time, and geeez can we say HOLY COW BATMAN!!!!! I just can't believe I have had this Viper for over 4 yrs sleeping in the garage and putzin' around town, thinking I am seeing the performance, but I definitely unleashed it yesterday.

To be honest I didn't know what to expect, was I gonna get out there and get bit on the first lap or what>?:rolaugh: I took a Viper dynamics clinic with the IL VCA first to better understand this beast, then decided to track it STOCK first to see what I wanted to modify. I ran in intermediate group (I am a PCA instructor) just because I didn't know the car on a course and I wanted breathing room:lmao: AND I picked a course with a lotta run-off (Putnam Park).

I just did the basics for track prep:

fluids, Dot 4 (I run Castrol SRF), bleed
15/50 M1 oil
suspension check
new front PS2's to match rears
stock alignment
new stock pads

I started out 35 on cold tires, started working my way around the track just WAITING to feel the @ss come out, car go outta control, SOMETHING:dunno:.....but NOTHING! I took a buddy with me, I figured he could go off with me if it was gonna happen:lmao:

Within FOUR laps I was on that bad boy like nobody's buzzziness, and by the end of the first session I had cooked the pads :headbang:I was SHOCKED at how easy this car was to track!

*No push whatsoever
*FAST outta the corners
*Acted like it was just HUNGRY to be on the track, stock suspension, everything
*PS2's were stickin' within 2 laps:headbang: Hot temps were around 43, I kept the front left 1-2 lower 'cause it is a right-handed course...and let out a LITTLE in the back to keep it from getting loose.
*Stock pads were NOT enough to stop that beast, sorry what anyone says, but I DO like to brake LATE
*LOVE the raw power and the 'stance' on the track, got a lotta point-bye's just because I was the only Viper in a sea of vettes and it does scare the crap outta ya' to see that monster in your rear-view mirror:lmao:
*Used OVER a 1/4 tank of gas for one 20-min session
*Had to make sure to PALM third gear and use the 4 fingers to shift to 4th on the straights so I woudn't miss 4th, you DON'T want to hit 2nd going 115 on the straight!

Can't wait for my next 3 day event at Putnam for my National instructor certification with PCA...hope they don't mind me showing up with a SNAKE hahaa!

All I can say is if you have EVER thought about seeing what your Viper can reallly do, spend a day on a roadcourse, learn how to handle it in a controlled environment, even if you just go ONE time. I am still in shock, I look at my Viper soooo differently.

All this time the Viper was in control each time i got in it, and i didn't realize it 'til yesterday...now I am the driver.

Once pics are on the track website I will post some for sure:2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tracked my GTS!

Great to get your perspective after all the track time you spent in the Z06. Kinda surprised you didn't get any push. Are you running stock sizes?

Not that you asked but the only suggestion I would make is to get the Cone Brake Duct Kit. I run Castrol SRF too but there were still mild performance issues. With the ducts the issues went away.

Now you need to get a second Viper for the street. :2tu:

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great to get your perspective after all the track time you spent in the Z06. Kinda surprised you didn't get any push. Are you running stock sizes?

Not that you asked but the only suggestion I would make is to get the Cone Brake Duct Kit. I run Castrol SRF too but there were still mild performance issues. With the ducts the issues went away.

Now you need to get a second Viper for the street. :2tu:

most definitely-where did you get your ducts? wanna do a few things in the brake department:D

I've got a list running a mile long in my head of stuff I want haha.

Ran stock size on tires.

Plan on tracking it and keeping it street legal, just like I did with the vette.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Congrats, Leslie!!

SS lines, Cone duct kit(requires a little cutting), and "real" pads are good starting points.

G

Gotvenom 08

Leslie

Sounds like you had a great time.And you discovered how much fun this car can be.Good for you.I bet you were all smiles at the end of the day.

A great learning curve as you took it slow and then progressed as you felt more comfortable.:D

I know this feeling for sure.

And now I think you are really hooked on track days!!!

Glad it all worked out for you.

Post pics when you can.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Way to go Leslie, Well Done, Fun isn't it :)

What year is your GTS? Do you have any Brake upgrades on your car? Is there much wear on the PS2 Tires after the Track day?

I have only done one track day in my car at Silverstone UK, It was pouring down with rain the whole time :omg: Even had a Ferrari 430 spin in front of me! I was also using the PS 1 tires that came with the car!! Thank god I managed to get out of his way. I would love to do more track days but I'm Broke at the moment!

Mark

:uk:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You made the experience sound really SWEET! I can't wait to start tracking mine...I've got a while yet...still on the learning curve and need some upgrades.

Thanks for sharing!

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No engine temp issues? Mine gets warm after a few hotlaps so a nice aluminum radiator is on my list. Wilwood brakes are also high on my list of track mods.

Rob

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2001 GTS, no brake upgrades, all stock (for now)

Hardly any wear on the PS2's, but I only ran 2 sessions, no heat issues.

Didn't get enough Viper racing this wknd so I just ran up to Gingerman to catch the tail-end of NARRA. Talked to a few of the guys about what would be good first mods. Pics to follow.

BRAKES are on the top of my list:headbang:

Way to go Leslie, Well Done, Fun isn't it :)

What year is your GTS? Do you have any Brake upgrades on your car? Is there much wear on the PS2 Tires after the Track day?

I have only done one track day in my car at Silverstone UK, It was pouring down with rain the whole time :omg: Even had a Ferrari 430 spin in front of me! I was also using the PS 1 tires that came with the car!! Thank god I managed to get out of his way. I would love to do more track days but I'm Broke at the moment!

Mark

:uk:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Well, as long as we are spending YOUR money...Dave's Big Brake Kit might appeal!!! :)

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like you had a blast.:D I can hardly wait to get on the track in Calgary with Greg on the 22nd. Will be first time so will have an instructor but I am sure it will be great.:drive:

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

no EBC's here hahaha!

sold the Z06, let the mods begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great to hear you out enjoying it. I was blown away on how much fun it was the first time I tracked my GTS.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't believe you've owned a Viper for 4 years and haven't tracked it yet - especially since you do a lot of track time. Glad you finally made it. Now put some camber and toe in that thing and GET AFTER IT!

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you gonna do Tom's 40mm ($) or go all out on brakes ($$$) ?

Open for ideas on the brakes, I like the way your Viper drives, where did you get the motor mounts? Any other performance mods on there other than the headers?

I can't believe you've owned a Viper for 4 years and haven't tracked it yet - especially since you do a lot of track time. Glad you finally made it. Now put some camber and toe in that thing and GET AFTER IT!

Yeh, ME TOO! I honestly looked at the Viper as a 'straight line' kinda car, I feel like I have a brand new car, it's unreal.
Looking for suggestions on camber/toe if you have any. I run mostly Putnam Park and Mid OH, which are both mostly right-handed turn courses and don't mind giving up a LITTLE tire wear on the street.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Open for ideas on the brakes, I like the way your Viper drives, where did you get the motor mounts? Any other performance mods on there other than the headers?

Yeh, ME TOO! I honestly looked at the Viper as a 'straight line' kinda car, I feel like I have a brand new car, it's unreal.
Looking for suggestions on camber/toe if you have any. I run mostly Putnam Park and Mid OH, which are both mostly right-handed turn courses and don't mind giving up a LITTLE tire wear on the street.

I love Mid-Ohio and have only gotten to do Putnam once. I have never tracked a vett before but what the Viper can do on a road corse in the right hands is amazing!! So glad to see you enjoyed it so very much!! :2tu:

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

gah, yall are havin way too much fun! I need to get my Dakota RT out on a road track some time. Closest I've come to a road track were some curvy roads on the way to Branson a couple weeks ago

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do ya' do when you are STILL on the Viper high and you aren't ready for detox?

Go watch some Vipers RACE! Here's a few pics I took with my cell ph of the NARRA wknd at Gingerman Raceway:headbang:

If you ever get a chance to sign up and run with NARRA, you also get to hang out with these guys and all the VIPER vendors like Archer Racing!

Here's Steve's 007 Viper getting a little '******' lift
Viper_017.jpg

Tom's Viper taking a breather
Viper_0141.jpg

sweeeeet Viper
Viper_0161.jpg

32....22.....whatever it takes
Viper_0122.jpg

Last edited:

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tracked my GTS! (NARRA pics too)

Love the SSG black striped GTS. Maybe I should repaint mine in that color.
I too am surprised you weren't pushing. Maybe the PS2's are that much better. I still have the OEM tires on mine. No, not the original ones, just the same type.

I/ve got Dave's Big Brake on mine and it does make a difference in stopping on the track, although it opened a new can of worms for me too. Still trying to determine my best next fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960