Trading in my '09 coupe to dealer...

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Placing an order for a '13 GTS and the dealer wants my car on a trade in. '09 coupe red/black 6,800 miles, corsa muffler. Car is in show room condition. Would like to get some fellow forum members input on what i should expect. I have been on kbb and other web sites for a ballpark. Thank you.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remember that KBB, NADA, Edmunds, etc. are only guides and are based on depreciation with the "tweaks" coming from the mileage, condition, and options. The true market value of a vehicle such as the Viper is based on supply and demand and you can use sites such as Autotrader, Ebay, etc. to determine what these vehicles are selling for. The trade-in value will be less but the ultimate determination will be based on what you are willing to accept. Trading in a car on a new one has one advantage in that you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the price of the new car. You will then need to assess the cost savings from the sales tax tax against what you would get by selling the car yourself if you have that option from a timimg perspective.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its more important to know EXACTLY what the new car order will cost you. Dealers often give you a high trade in value making you think you are getting a great deal only to get it back and more on the total sale especially at MSRP or higher for the new car. Be careful and know the bottom line.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep. New Car Buying 101: Know what your trade is worth, pay as close to the dealer cost/invoice as possible (depends on the car of course), and for goodness sakes, know your credit score if financing through the dealer.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you will get wholesale- remember this, they need to make money on this, so they are not going to make you a whopping deal, is doesnt matter what you get,as long as in your mind you can deal with it.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. To answer some of your questions. It was indicated i would be paying msrp for the Gen V (GTS, with red seat belt option). so figure $120,395 plus 1,995 dest charge and seat belt option(who knows, was going to get 6 vent hood but lets not go there). so figure 123,00 ballpark minus trade..... nyc tax rate is 8.750% so even if dealer gives me 60k i save 5,250. i would have to at least get 65,250 privately ( does my math make sense?) not concerned about credit score.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should point out corsa was insalled by the wizard and serviced by the wizard so no worries in that department.

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are bringing strong prices right now, partly due to the trending caused by the hoopla of the gen V, also the fewer numbers. Iknow I just bought my third one.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rate might be 8.725 not 8.75

You need to figure out what city or town you live in, and that will be your tax rate on the new one and tax savings. It doesn't matter if you buy the car in the city (8.725), it's where you live. Good luck, with the trade in and let us know what you get.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense intended. But the color is the only reason you'be down at 60k on a trade... If it were another color w/stripes. youd be talking 65k easily,. And more like 68-72 retail.. But having said that, I would not take a dime less than 60k, which would net you more like $65000 with the tax credit.

I saw Cobrakens car sitting in the classifieds for a long time. It was the aftermarket stripes,wing and rollbar that kept it for sale so long. GenIV buyers want stock, low mile, all factory cars

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are bringing strong prices right now, partly due to the trending caused by the hoopla of the gen V, also the fewer numbers. Iknow I just bought my third one.

Couldn't disagree more. Fewer numbers??
Dealers are low balling there are lots for sale and prices are down and falling more.
And I have bought and sold four, two very recently.
What I was offered by a "Viper dealer" was so pitiful it was laughable, got 5K MORE from a Lambo dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456