TRAILER QUESTION

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

I'll try to call you this week but meanwhile have the trailer guys quote recessed E-Track like is used in airplanes. It's much better than D-Hooks and if you run it the entire length of the trailer floor you can tie down anything. No more loose stuff on the floor. Also have them quote (I forget the type) the type of aircraft railing that goes on the walls. Two strips at about 2' and 4' from the floor is awesome. Helps the resell too.

Oh, yeah 32 to 42 inches apart. If you do get E-track have them space it so the tirs will actually drive over the track so your tie down straps will have SOME kind of attack angle on them.

Regards,

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, I can help you with the dimensions that we use in our trailer. This is our second one (first one got stolen) and we tie down 2 cars so we have some experience. We use a total of 6 tie downs per car (4 in the front and 2 in the rear) to make it easier to tie the car down. Feel free to call me this evening @ (919)782-3495 and I can fill you in on the details as well as give you the tie down locations...

We use E-track on the walls as David Tittle suggests but not on the floor. It is extremely helpful on the walls...

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Rich, for your and Keith's sake, it would be nice to make a trip to Dallas without incident!?! Between the LA highway system and the fact that it storms every time I drive the Viper out to Texas... the trailer will definately give me peace of mind!?!

Henry, just got your message (10pm cst)... will try to catch up with you tomorrow evening.

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a 24' enclosed car trailer. What is appropriate spacing for the floor mounted D-rings?

I have seen diagrams showing the mounting locations:

Rear - approximately 6" from the rear ramp (on ****** tail)

Front - about 201" forward of the rear D-rings.

Width - 34" apart (17" off center line)

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would appreciate any suggestions Jeff! Ramp isn't a problem as I am getting full width 36" extension... liked that better than individual ramps.

Big concern is the D-rings. Too close limits Viper placement fore and aft to balance tools/equipment... too far and straps bind against fascia!?!

As per discussion with David, thinking about about using a pair of D-rings at the rear and E-track at the front for variable placement options.

However, prefer swivel D-rings for better alignment and straight pull to the mounts when crossing tie downs. E-track seem more suited for forward (non-crossing) placement of the tie downs. Not sure how well laterial loading works with the E-track.

Henry's idea on 2 pair of D-rings in the front by be a better option.

Thoughts or considerations anyone!?!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper's wheelbase is 8'. I would recommend D-rings placed 4' ahead of the front axle and 4' behind the rear. The transverse spacing between my rings is 3'-3". I also have 4 recessed lights in the deck about 11' apart longitudinally and in line with the D-rings. This setup works very well for me.