Transmission whine

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my transmission apart to fix an issue with how hard shifting had become. I polished all the bushings and it now shifts like a dream, one finger operation, even in reverse.

BUT

On reinstalling everything back together the transmission now has a whine at the end of forth gear and more pronounced in 5th and 6th gear.

Any ideas on what could be causing that?

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it started when I put the transmission back. No whine before.

And it does not whine if I take it out of gear. So if I am in 6th gear and I take it out of gear at 80 mph there is no more whine. Actually if I just lift off the gas the whine stops.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its prolly your rearend... most of the time it will whine only on accelleration between 60 and 80ish.. and it does sound like it is coming from the tail of the tranny, but it does in fact come from the rearend...

alex
few cars

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it not be an amazing coincidence that the rearend started whining 1 day after I rebuilt the transmission?

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I now have the transmission in pieces. I am going to try installing the Shim kit this time and see if it cuts down on the noise.

Any ideas on what else to check?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What fluid was in it when there was no whine, and what was in it with whine? Could you have gone from the heavier gear oil to ATF, generating the whine?

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was the exact same Syntorq transmission fluid recommended. I originally changed the fluid to see if maybe that would cure the hard shifting problem. But it did not.

So when I took it apart I bought the same exact fluid I had before.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ice I have an update for you. I had the same type of gear whine from the transmission as you. Pronounced at light off/on throttle cruisng like 6th gear on the freeway. Sounded like it was coming from under the shifter or even father forward. This morning I picked the car up from having a Unitrax differential with 3.55 gears installed (yes I know I'm a wuss for not doing the install myself). On the way home I took the freeway and guess what? The gear whine is gone. It was the rear end. Sure did not sound like it.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, the differential is my next planned project already.

How do you like the 3.55 gears? Also what is the RPM now at 80 mph?

Thanks.