Tremec 6060 in a Gen. II?

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to install the new Tremec 6060 transmission out of a 2008 Viper into my Gen. II Viper. Has anyone done this? Can it be done?

Look forward to hearing input!!

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wondering about compatibility of engine and tranny from the 08 to a GTS as well. Anybody?

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have just sent an email to Tremec to see if the 6060 could be installed in a Gen. II. I will report my findings once Tremec replies.

Cheers
Jason

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III's are still T56 transmissions. If the bell housing will line up with the '08 6060, it should be doable. Just tap the back housing for a spedo sensor and enjoy.

:usa:

Reaction score
We have not made this swap but as Rob said it should be an easy swap. You may need to have the driveshaft shortened a little or different yolks can be used to compensate for the length change.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a reply from Jeff at Tremec:

"The TR6060 “Viper” should be a direct bolt in, with the exception of...

The Gen II has a speedometer gear and speed sensor. The newer Vipers do not. The speedometer is run from the rear axle.

The TR6060 uses a thicker or double wall slip yoke. The slip yoke from the 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 is the same.

Reuse the Gen II bell housing."

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suggestion: the Cadillac CTS-V with the 550hp supercharged engine also uses the 6060 tranny - only the Caddy has the much better .80 and .63 5th and 6th gear ratios. I have no idea of the input shaft etc is different, but I'd check to see if that version would be an option, or have the shorter 5th and 6th put into the Viper version. These shorter ratios where previously only available sourced from the Aston Martin Euro-only version of the T56 tranny.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Euro Aston Martin gear 5th and 6th ratios done in my T56, was the way to go. John Donetto's your man for that.

I have also done some speed sensor work, I worked out a toothed gear-wheel to press fit on the front slip yoke, and then made a bracket to take the OE speed pick up sensor part#04848214. To read it, this distance / clearence from the cog teeth is important. I did go all tech on it, and had an elctronics aircraft mate measure the sensor wave, it was a 5-volt square wave about 7hz per mile from memory (hz is number of pulses per second per mph, for enquiring minds)! You can work out the toothed wheel required from this given the tire OD per revolution, the distance you move forwards, then it goes to maths with inches a mile and inches a turn of the wheel, multiplied by the diff ratio...blah blah. Anyway easy option to check, is pull the sensor and look at the little speedometer gear, and measure and count 10 teeth! Later ones use ABS for speed pick up...interesting 33 teeth, given diff ratio, will get measured that wave and hz it reads at.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For a Gen 2-3, using an AEM, why not just tap the same location for the speed sensor needed?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is exactly what I did. I am sure many others have done the same. If the wall thickness is the same on the 6060, and the bell housing lines up surely a 6060 will work...

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a Gen 2-3, using an AEM, why not just tap the same location for the speed sensor needed?

Gen 3's grab the speed from the ABS sensors. Gen 2's grab it from the speed sensor in the tailhousing.

With the exception of boost-by-speed, you don't really _need_ to know how fast you are going... but it sure is nice... especially on the street!

there are other ways to get a speed sensor signal... but i don't think the 6060 has the same port that the T56 does...

Joseph

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3's grab the speed from the ABS sensors. Gen 2's grab it from the speed sensor in the tailhousing.

With the exception of boost-by-speed, you don't really _need_ to know how fast you are going... but it sure is nice... especially on the street!

there are other ways to get a speed sensor signal... but i don't think the 6060 has the same port that the T56 does...

Joseph

On a stock Gen 3 transmission, you have to tap for the AEM speed sensor. Before I buy a 6060, I was just wondering if there was anything keeping me from doing the same for the 6060

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a stock Gen 3 transmission, you have to tap for the AEM speed sensor. Before I buy a 6060, I was just wondering if there was anything keeping me from doing the same for the 6060

On a gen3, you do on some and don't on others. If you had an early 2003 tranny, you did (and i have one) after about 1/2 the year, they drilled that spot out that you are referring to.

The 6060 doesn't have a provision for this. I looked into doing it right after the 6060 was released but did not due to the lack of a location to put a speed sensor. There are ways to 'make' it work but i didn't have the time or desire.

Gen2 w/ ABS won't need a speed sensor either, BTW...

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe,

I still don't get how with an AEM I don't need the speed sensor. How else could I get it to work with the AEM?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are beating a dead horse, my gosh. If your car currently uses a spedo sensor in the rear of the tranny, you need to have that space tapped and two screw holes drilled to place the sensor in the new tranny. If that spot is already drilled out for you, simply insert. If it is not there, take the back housing from your old along with the new and get a good machine shop to duplicate the hole. Nuff said.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are beating a dead horse, my gosh. If your car currently uses a spedo sensor in the rear of the tranny, you need to have that space tapped and two screw holes drilled to place the sensor in the new tranny. If that spot is already drilled out for you, simply insert. If it is not there, take the back housing from your old along with the new and get a good machine shop to duplicate the hole. Nuff said.

This isn't accurate! There is no space on the 08 tranny to do this! on the 03-06, the tailhousing is the same. 08 is different completely!

Oh, and BTW - if you drill to put a hole for a speed sensor, the tone ring is NOT inside! you need to get one!

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the new Viper Magazine, where they have the cutaway tr6060, it looks like the boss for the speed sensor is still there, unless im seeing something different?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected then. If there is no toe ring (which the spedo sensor senses) than this would obviously not work. Also if the tail housing is different not allowing for the mounting of the sensor, youll be out of luck.

Just get a newer T56. I KNOW those work.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't dyno'd my car but with the mods I've got it's only around 500. What kind of power are you looking to put through the tranny?

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't dyno'd my car but with the mods I've got it's only around 500. What kind of power are you looking to put through the tranny?

I'm making ~1300rwhp. So a stock T56 is just not going to cut it in the long-run.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heffner Twin Turbo...I just want something that will last this time.

Have you tried to contact any transmission shops about your need? A friend went to RPM Transmissions T56 T-56 4L60E 4L65E and had them do a auto conversion on his 2003 Z06. He's only making around 800rwhp, which is quite a bit less than you are. He is very pleased with their work. They could at least give you some ideas of what to do based on your configuration.

My 6th gear synchro is going out, and the 3/4 shift is a little quirky. I plan on spending a little more $$$ and going with RPM's Level IV transmission which will be more than enough to handle my future mods. :D

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RPM Level IV trany lasted less than 100 miles on my TT Viper on low boost. Going to Donato Engineering now with his Truck t56 conversion. He is of the opinion that the truck conversion is way stronger tan the T6060.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456