Tremec 6060 in a Gen. II?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RPM Level IV trany lasted less than 100 miles on my TT Viper on low boost. Going to Donato Engineering now with his Truck t56 conversion. He is of the opinion that the truck conversion is way stronger tan the T6060.

Can you PM me the specifics on your Donato build? I have a feeling I will need another trans upgrade when my car is complete.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you PM me the specifics on your Donato build? I have a feeling I will need another trans upgrade when my car is complete.

When I talked to Donato, he was very very helpful. Basically, he replaces the Viper gearset/cluster with the Viper truck gearset/cluster. He also had a great idea, regarding installing a small external pump to force fluid onto the gears vs. the stock splash method. I will likely send him my stock T56 that just took a dump, and keep the Gforce as a back-up.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Donato did the trans I'm running now. No issues w/ it whatsoever. I didn't know he did the truck gearset... but it runs like a champ. while he had it apart he put in some -10 fittings in case i wanted to run a transmission cooler of some sort. I never installed one but at least i have the option.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RPM Level IV trany lasted less than 100 miles on my TT Viper on low boost. Going to Donato Engineering now with his Truck t56 conversion. He is of the opinion that the truck conversion is way stronger tan the T6060.

:( The Level IV is what I'm considering. I doubt I'll be putting down more than 650rwhp in the next several years. I was under the impression the Level IV would hold up to 700rwhp. :dunno: Figured I would get more than I think I'll need, just in case. :D

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Donato really knows his stuff. According to him the Viper Truck T56 uses 9310 alloy, which happens to be the same material that Gforce uses to manufacture their custom gears, and is NOT the same material that it is used on the T56 that comes in the Viper.

Also the truck gear's tooth are thicker and have a different pitch angle.
The GTS uses a two piece cluster shaft, that he replaces with the one piece cluster shaft, he also heat treats the new components, and shot pinns (sp?)them. He can also give you the .80/62 5th and 6th ratios.

He will replace all bearings, and use some custom lining on the synchros. The fitting he isntalls is to hook up a re-circulating pump so that the oil is put back into the trany right where the input shaft gear mesh with the cluster shaft gear, or so I understood when I talked to him.

I've talked to a few members that have his trany, and nobody has broken one yet, including DC Performance behind their TT set ups.. Over at the V.A one member has SC + juice SRt Truck that he drag races with over 1000 rwhp, and has had zero issues with the Donato Trany. Keep in mind that is a 5000 lb. truck.

As an added Bonus his trany is a lot cheaper than G-force.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kelly, Joseph, and V10TT for the info! Does Donato have an exchange program with a refundable core charge, or do you have to send him your trans? I'm just wondering what kind of down time would be associated with one of his builds. The fact that he is a lot cheaper than a G-force is appealing.

Joseph, how does your trans shift? Can you tell it is a lot beafier inside?

cyaford, I currently have an RPM Level IV in my car. I have had zero issues with it running 750rwhp. Its been a good transmission. You should be good to go with your power levels. I just know (because Rodney told me a while ago) I will have to upgrade if I start making more power.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I talked to Donato, he was very very helpful. Basically, he replaces the Viper gearset/cluster with the Viper truck gearset/cluster. He also had a great idea, regarding installing a small external pump to force fluid onto the gears vs. the stock splash method. I will likely send him my stock T56 that just took a dump, and keep the Gforce as a back-up.

You are going to use your G-Force for a back up? Are you unhappy with it?

Damn, I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I just bought a G-Force...:smirk:

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are going to use your G-Force for a back up? Are you unhappy with it?

Damn, I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I just bought a G-Force...:smirk:

I've had a stock trans in my car the whole time. I came across a Gforce and bought it. After installing it, it lasted less than 200 miles....3 days. It was popping out of 1st gear and whining like a supercharger. So I'm getting it repaired with some additional upgrades and we'll see what happens. I'm also sending my stock trans to Donato, so I'll then have two beefed up transmissions.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Kelly, Joseph, and V10TT for the info! Does Donato have an exchange program with a refundable core charge, or do you have to send him your trans? I'm just wondering what kind of down time would be associated with one of his builds.
He told me over the phone ~3-4 week turnaround.

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have some T-56's built for exchange.
Typically most of our transmission builds are unique to the customers vehicle use and requirements. We also have automatic transmission conversion kits available. You can contact us M-F from 9am to 5:30pm at 248-921-4969.
John at Donato Engineering.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have some T-56's built for exchange.
Typically most of our transmission builds are unique to the customers vehicle use and requirements. We also have automatic transmission conversion kits available. You can contact us M-F from 9am to 5:30pm at 248-921-4969.
John at Donato Engineering.

Hey John. Good to see you here. :2tu:

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the pic from the newest Viper mag...what is this boss for?

You must be registered for see images

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like the boss for the speed sensor. It's possible that the tooling for the T-56 extension was modified for the 6060 application and the boss got carried over in the casting. I'll have to look at the 6060 closer to see if its possible to install the T-56 speed sensor for the earlier Vipers.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That looks like the boss for the speed sensor. It's possible that the tooling for the T-56 extension was modified for the 6060 application and the boss got carried over in the casting. I'll have to look at the 6060 closer to see if its possible to install the T-56 speed sensor for the earlier Vipers.

It would be great to get a confirmation on that. Especially for all the modded Gen 3's using an AEM VSS sensor.

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've look over a GM version of the 6060 and I think we can add the vehicle speed sensor to a Viper version of the 6060.

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be a tad more expensive, but you can add the Gen III abs Module to a pre-ABS Gen I/II Viper, add spindles and wheel speed sensors from an '01/'02 Viper, and then use the Gen III's output speed sense signal from the ABS module. That's what I'm researching right now (but not for the purpose of installing a 6060. But, then again, if that's now possible... Hmmm....)

Jeff

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be a tad more expensive, but you can add the Gen III abs Module to a pre-ABS Gen I/II Viper, add spindles and wheel speed sensors from an '01/'02 Viper, and then use the Gen III's output speed sense signal from the ABS module. That's what I'm researching right now (but not for the purpose of installing a 6060. But, then again, if that's now possible... Hmmm....)

Jeff

I looked into doing the ABS on a non-ABS gen2 once. Archer had a set-up for about 8k. When i priced it all out, it was around 5-6k to do it.

Where there is a wallet, there is a way... I just didn't want to open the wallet...

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've look over a GM version of the 6060 and I think we can add the vehicle speed sensor to a Viper version of the 6060.

Hmmmm.... Any idea what the cost, including installation, would run to swap out my stock T56 for a 6060? Or would it be better to just run a built T56?

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into doing the ABS on a non-ABS gen2 once. Archer had a set-up for about 8k. When i priced it all out, it was around 5-6k to do it.

Where there is a wallet, there is a way... I just didn't want to open the wallet...

I think it could be done for 3-4K, and if you've got friends in high places, 2-3K. I'm still doing my last little bit of homework, because I really want ABS on my Viper. But I'm just illustrating that this would give another option to satisfying the signal needs of the PCM if one is trying to do a tranny swap.

Jeff

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6060 has some common pieces with the T-56. The biggest difference is the triple / double synchro set up. This was first introduced into the Vette T-56 due to the constant run drive shaft.
Until I get to look at some 6060's with miles on them I'll stick with the T-56 w/9310 steel gears.
A new T-56 list's in the $4500+ range so I can't see a 6060 costing any less.

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're also still somewhat hard to come by, from what I hear. A member from my E-body forum just got one for his '70 'Cuda, but only after some diligent effort from his local dealership parts manager, who happens to be a friend.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got in my "truck treated" t-56 from Donato (trans doc) for my TT76 Viper.
I'll keep you all posted how it does after I get the car back on the road.
My RPM Level V trany did not last 300 miles, and that was on low boost. That was $3k down the drain.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got in my "truck treated" t-56 from Donato (trans doc) for my TT76 Viper.
I'll keep you all posted how it does after I get the car back on the road.
My RPM Level V trany did not last 300 miles, and that was on low boost. That was $3k down the drain.

Cool...I look forward to hearing the results.

How much power are you putting down with the 76's? What trans were you using with the Heffner build (assuming it was a 35R build before)?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running a donato built T56 for over 1k miles... and several track days + drag strip visits. It has held up great! I don't know if i have the same set-up as V10TT but I think so...

I forget the price. it was very reasonable. cheaper than a g-force is all i remember!

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have been looking for a Viper 6060 trans to look at adding a speed sensor and some possible ratio swaps, but none are available as cores. Any bad units are being replaced under warranty at this time.
DonatoEng

Last edited:

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not been on line here in ages! Firstly John Donato and Woodhouse Performance are the best in T56 upgrades. They've supplied me with good parts for several builds, over many years. Last year I was testing a development trans (for a company I was working with). There are street cameras everywhere over here in UK, so I always need to know my exact speed! There was no provision for a speed sensor on the test trans, so I simply looked at the stock tooth one on the output and had a machine mate make me up a same number toothed ring to press fit on the prop-shaft, and then carefully made up a bracket to correctly space the stock speed sensor off this toothed-wheel. Worked just fine. I'd been calclating the wheel speed sensor pick up hertz wave signal, as used on the later ABS gen cars for speed reading, but it wsn't needed.

Stock trans sensor pre '01 :

You must be registered for see images attach

New machined speed signal ring :

Bracket I welded up onto the front one of these safety rings I made up (getting the right gap is important, but as you can see from the safety rings I space with matchsticks and can weld good!) :

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss