trunk lid wont stay up

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very proud owner of a 2004 srt since new. After all these years of working on my pecks to lift the trunk lid up, I now have an issue of the trunk not staying up when fully opened. And as most of you know, when it comes down, it comes down hard. Is there an adjustment that has come loose that can be tighted?

Smiley

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '05 was doing that and Mark at Woodhouse put new struts...or shocks....or whatever you call 'em on mine when it was over there last spring. I think they were $43 each if I remember right.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the temperature gets lower, those struts become weaker. Need to be replaced every 10 years or so. Get from dealer, or cheaper from local parts store.

ViperVass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have the same issue, still deciding if I care enough to get it fixed. What part wears out in these struts? I thought it was some sort of gas, can it not be refilled?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperVass:3279619 said:
Have the same issue, still deciding if I care enough to get it fixed. What part wears out in these struts? I thought it was some sort of gas, can it not be refilled?

Not cost effective . Would be like refilling a Bic lighter.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, same issue here when I bought mine. New set of struts and they are easy to put on. I think the seals in them just wear out over the years and let some gas out, so theoretically you could rebuild them, but probably not worth it. My hood is borderline too. It'll stay up, but you have to push it a little to get there.

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Seems like an easy fix and will replace both. Appreciate the post on where to order them too

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New struts for sure. Im having the same problem, especially in the cooler weather.

One note for safety......

These struts can kill. Not saying it WILL happen, but the potential IS there. Being fire/rescue trained on jaws of life, part of our training is just about the rods from these units. Whether in the trunk, hood, or b-pillar areas(they are attached to the seat belt restraint system and fire down to tighten the seatbelt during impact) we are taught to respect them. There have been cases where they separated and the rods(shiny part) shot completely through firemen. Now I'm not saying you will be cutting into them with a Hurst tool, but neglecting them until they have deteriorated may cause them to become compromised and separate when removing. They can be under extreme pressure, and even though they can no longer support the lid doesn't mean they can't hurt. Not many people are aware of this so just wanted to pass it along. Stay safe.

speedchangesu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks just ordered them for our 05 SRT10 got a good knot on the head last weekend when the trunk lid didn't hold...thanks for the information...

Attachments

• 63dodge-05viper.jpg
    63dodge-05viper.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They are not an expensive item and common problem with many vehicles as they age. Plenty of places to get a new set , and as noted Mark Jorgensen can get you a pair.