Truth is out production Ford GT test autowk [email protected]

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auotweek tested a new '05 GT in the august 29 issue and came up with [email protected] in the quarter mile. They like the GT tremendously esp the styling while throwing a few barbs at the Viper.
They call the Viper a poseur's car while the Gt is a racing icon. Ha, I must have missed the '05 GT's racing victories. Wow what a line of B.S. hand fed by Ford I guess.

eagles

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree. all a bunch a BS. viper a posuer? puh-lease. what was the first production based car to win 24 hours of daytona? was it the FGT? nope it was the viper. the viper is the real racing lengend.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the car rags, Autoweek consistently posts the slowest times in performance tests. You cannot compare times from different magazines, nor is it even safe to compare times from the same magazine, unless the tests were done at the same time and same conditions.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sween-

This is strange, but I actually agree with you.

Viper has an amazing recent race history. I hope they will return to Lemans soon

i agree. all a bunch a BS. viper a posuer? puh-lease. what was the first production based car to win 24 hours of daytona? was it the FGT? nope it was the viper. the viper is the real racing lengend.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Well I'll be canceling my AutoWeek since they apparantly forgot about the Viper victories at Le Mans, Daytona, FIA, ALMS, and Speed GT. Also, as stated above I did not know that the Ford GT had even entered a race yet alone won any. What a bunch of MORONS! :p

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder what he is going to say. hirohawa- im suprised you agree with me LOL.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'll be canceling my AutoWeek since they apparantly forgot about the Viper victories at Le Mans, Daytona, FIA, ALMS, and Speed GT. Also, as stated above I did not know that the Ford GT had even entered a race yet alone won any. What a bunch of MORONS! :p

C'mon DD, the GT won all those races...40 years ago! LOL

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Even though I like the Ford GT, the author is way off base, and has no business dissing the Viper. He don't know what he's talking about, thats for sure.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe they publish real world (real people) numbers. Wonder what would come up with on the Z06, unless they have already done so. Like to see some real world numbers on the Z, instead of the numbers MT and CD came up with. Their times are always to fast.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I though it interesting that Ford, who's flaunting the GT-40 heritage of the new GT has produced their car with a supercharger which automatically excludes it from ever running at LeMans.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was the letter that I sent off to Autoweek's editor yesterday in reference to that article:

Mr. Mandel,

I just had to comment on the comments presented in the Ford GT article:
Published Date: 8/29/05.

With no bi-line I couldn't address this to the culprit author (or tester)
in question, so I figured a letter to the editor would have to do.

The comments show an ignorance about the Viper, it's design and purpose.

“This car (the Ford GT) is crude in a good way, in the way a good race car
is crude. Unlike the Dodge Viper. The Viper is just nasty from a quality
standpoint; crude to be cheap and quick to make, not crude (perhaps
‘uncomplicated’ would be a kinder word) to be fast on the track. The Viper
is a poseur’s car. The GT is a racing icon.”

Only an uninformed person could ever call the Viper a "poseur's car".
You won't hear me make any foul comments about the Ford GT because I love
the car, but the new GT has ZERO racing history, as opposed to the Viper
and Corvette which have scores of racing victories in many different
classes.
Plus the majority of Viper owners actually take their cars out to race, as
opposed to most Ferrari or Lamborghini owners who rarely even drive their
cars (as shown by the average mileage on used models). Even minimal
research would show that more Viper owners buy their cars for speed than
for status.

If you have $150K-$300K to spend on a performance car then having top
notch materials and build quality is to be expected, but the important
value of the Viper is achieving a Lamborghini Murcielago/Porsche GT2 level
of balanced performance (in a convertible) for $85K!

The Viper is not meant to produce high HP/L or have super complex
technology, or provide luxury/commuter amenities.
It's built for wild, untamed enjoyment! Out on the track or on the street.

Whoever wrote this previous Autoweek article on the Viper could at least
put the Viper's flaws into perspective along with it's amazing performance
attributes. http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=7110

But the tester in question was obviously unable to understand this, and
spewed his biased views forth with the typical ignorance of someone who
would never own a Viper in the first place.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good letter! You forgot only one line, which should be at the end:

"...spewed his biased views forth with the typical ignorance of someone who would never own a Viper in the first place", and someone who should never be allowed to work for an automotive enthusiast magazine.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Beat you to it! E-mailed this last weekend!

My dear Autoweek staff,

It came as a shock to me while reading your Ford GT editorial that a "tester" (are we to assume that a "tester" is one of the lucky Ford GT owners, or a member of your staff?) would suggest that a Dodge Viper "is just nasty from a quality standpoint..... a poseur"). Considering that only 3 years ago, your writer, Mr. Sabatini, quoted the SRT-10 Viper as being "kinder, gentler....more of a delight to the senses", and for this generation 3 Viper's short history, has proven to be a documented 11.7 second, reliable quarter mile warrior, a record setting road course competitor (please take a look at the track times documented from our ViperDays/Viper Racing League track sessions or Tommy Archer's amazing record in the Speed World Challenge series for details) and a documented historically unbeatable braking statistic of 60-0 in only 97 feet versus your Ford GT statistic of 109 feet (in your words "just 5 feet more that the Carerra GT").

What this editorial suggests is that the Viper is engineered as a "poseur"? Lets see, defined as "one who affects a particular attribute, attitude or identity to impress or influence others". Maybe you ARE right, as John Fernandez, now motorsports director for Dodge's Nascar program, Herb Helbig, resident SRT engineer and avid supporter of all things Viper", and of course, Dan Knott, SRT commander and chief, all responsible for the single purpose (READ: out of the crate race car) SRT-10 Viper convertible and now new Coupe, ARE trying to impress and influence others; the thousands of lucky Viper owners that road race, drag race and autocross every weekend, embarrassing other marques that too, are suggesting that they are superior to this limited production, yet competitively priced supercar. The Viper is, in fact, designed from the ground up to be just what our Viper Nation wants; a high horsepower, high torque road course ready supercar. ALL characteristics of the car are clearly focused on maximum performance, with no creature comforts being added if the "appendage" adds weight or limits performance potential.

No one doubts the impressive numbers that the Ford GT reports, but at a price that would allow the alternative purchase of a Viper Coupe AND convertible! All the readers of Autoweek rely on your staff to have unbiased reporting of "the facts", these unsubstantiated editorial comments surely suggests that you are being aimed in the wrong direction. Lets leave the biased comments to the owners, in their "Owners say" section of Autofile, as the owners ARE in fact, allowed to be biased. That's what brand loyalty is all about!

Respectfully,
National Media Director, Viper Club of America
Joseph Houss, Colts Neck NJ

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auotweek tested a new '05 GT in the august 29 issue and came up with [email protected] ...

They should be embarassed with those times!!!!!!

I did that time @ 119mph almost TEN YEARS AGO in my BONE STOCK 96 GTS ..and I have the time slips and trophies to prove it!

You mean to tell me that Ten years later with a supercharger the GT can only
match what the viper has been doing for 10+ years..and they are slamming the
viper?.....Lets see how many years Ford can keep producing the GT @ the $$dollars they are charging....there will never be enough buyers for that car with that price tag.......I see the GT plant closing within two years.
There is NO way they can sel enough of those GT's to sustain long term production..there is already a Glut of them....

The viper is the greatest bang for the buck exotic car with Soul in recent history. :2tu: :usa:

Bob

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My letter cancelling my Autoweek subscription:
(By the way Autoweek has been going steadily downhill. The quality of the magazine is nasty. It is a poseur magazine and I was going to cancel anyway.)

I also am canceling my subscription to your magazine. How anyone could think that any review of a car is somehow made better by bashing another is baffling. Your story bashing the Viper is so far off base as to be laughable. The build quality of the Viper is very, very good. Having owned a number of high end cars, my 04 Viper compares favorably to any of them in quality. As for performance, the Viper is truly a supercar. The Viper will outperform the far more expensive Ford GT and does so with a racing heritage that your writer was too lazy to research or too dimwitted to recall.

Sincerely,

Dirk Carnahan
Proud Viper owner

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gee, I wonder why years back when they did the testing and the Ford GT was virtually dead even with the Viper, and actually behind in a few areas, the scenario wasn't listed the same. In fact the test ( I believe it was in Car and Driver ) led to rumors that is was a main cause to go back to the drawing board, delay the car even further, and get more hp and other items to actually whip up on the Snake. Looks like after 2 more years , 50 more hp, and virtually twice the price they didn't quite get there.

I too will be sending Mr. Ceppos a letter and I think it will be interesting if they have the cajones to respond with a semblance of integrity. Looks like the subscription that is up for renewal will run it's timely death if the powers that be don't answer our simple questions/challenges.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auotweek tested a new '05 GT in the august 29 issue and came up with [email protected] in the quarter mile. They like the GT tremendously esp the styling while throwing a few barbs at the Viper.
They call the Viper a poseur's car while the Gt is a racing icon. Ha, I must have missed the '05 GT's racing victories. Wow what a line of B.S. hand fed by Ford I guess.

eagles

Thats B.S.!!!!!!!!!! Most of those s***heads at Autoweek couldn't afford a Ford GT, much less a Viper..... screw em'

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Hey Rich Ceppos,
Emailing you this thread again as several members are inviting you to respond to your rag's Viper bashing. Perhaps you could give us some detailed facts concerning the '05 Ford GT's race record that we are unaware of since it is a "race car" and also help us understand the Viper's poseur status including dispelling the myth of it's race victories...maybe they really didn't happen? Also, you can counter my following statement that the Ford GT if allowed to enter Le Mans with it's S/C engine would not even finish the race. Any response? Go to Viperclub.org then GenIII Forum then this thread "Truth is out production Ford GT test autowk [email protected]".

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Autoweek is a "Poseur" car magazine ... try finding one on a newsstand.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have said for good while, for the average selling price of a GT, you can buy 2 SRT-10's and a 2 car garage to put them in. And on any given day 2 out of three will likely out run it.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny thing is that before this happened i was going to buy a subscription to autoweek to go with my motortrend. i would only buy it now to wipe my *** with it. :)

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here was letter, short and sweet, emailed 8/29

Regarding your Viper comments in the Ford GT Autofile (8/29/05). You wrote: "As one tester said......."The Viper is a poseur's car, the GT an icon"". The Viper is currently racing in Viper Days, VRL, Michelin Challenge, and Speed GT (Viper was last years series champion), just for fun, the Viper won the D1 drifting championship too. The Ford GT is racing in.....nothing. Now 30 years ago..... naturally aspirated GT40's were a different story. The Ford GT is the "poseur" and Viper the Icon.

Here was the thread I started 8/27: Aweek comment on Viper

It was a pretty bogus comment, specially when they try to say the GT is as good as cars that are twice its price.... but forgot to mention in the slam that the Viper is half the GT's price :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang