Trying to decide on jet-hot header coatings, need some advice (2000 vs. 1300 degree)

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys,

i am going to get my stock 2001 headers coated on my viper. should i get the regular 1300 degree jet hot coating or should i go with the 2000 degree finish? the 1300 degree looks so much better, but i do want a finish thats going to last. anyone here have any experience with either?

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am begining to lean more towards the 1300 caoting on appearances alone.

whats better HP COATINGS OR JET-HOT??? (1300 degree)

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, i am using the 2001 stock headers on my Gen I 1994 Viper. I read somewhere that my heat shields will not fit!

Also, i got these for a good price, and i heard on our Gen I cars these can produce 10-15 hp. Its a budget upgrade for me seeing as i can't afford $2000+ headers.

Anyway,
i really like the looks of the 1300 degree coating in aluminum. does anyone have this coating? i wanted to headers to look nice, without the heat shields, so i guess thats why i want to get them coated. But, if my stock heat shields did fit, i may have just stuck with them, but i dont think they will fit, correct???

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 1300 degree JetHot coating (inside and outside) on my HMS headers. The silver looks great - almost a chrome finish.

Do a search - I posted some pics a month or two back.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy>>>I have used JetHot and the others and have had good luck with the standard JetHot silver finish. It's pretty shiny and pretty much stays that way, with a little dulling being the norm. Good quality product and you should be happy with it.
I agree with the opinion that if you're gonna cover them up with heat shields, you shouldn't bother, even if they are a little "cooler"....pete the ex glass guy & hot rodder

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my Borlas Jet hot, and was very happy with the appearence, but on the first bend down to the collector(where it gets the hottest) it started to dull. I have had them for about 4 months now. I was hoping to see it last a bit longer.

Mike

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have headers in the black 2000 and the silver 1300. The silver looks 10x better. I will not do the 2000 again, its a flat color and I think it still smells.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just sent my new B&B headers to Jet Hot for the 2000 degree, felt I needed the extra heat protection with the S/C. Jet Hot
was $350, HPC's 2000 degree was $800, that made the decision for me. The 2000 may not look as pretty but that is ok, the hood
stays closed most of the time.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPR GTS:
Just sent my new B&B headers to Jet Hot for the 2000 degree, felt I needed the extra heat protection with the S/C. Jet Hot
was $350, HPC's 2000 degree was $800, that made the decision for me. The 2000 may not look as pretty but that is ok, the hood
stays closed most of the time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you know that VCA members get a 20% discount from Jet Hot ?
Talk to: [email protected]

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leaving only a couple hundred degree margin of safety is a bit too tight for my liking.

I'm going 2000, with plans to possibly supercharge in the future sealing the choice for me!

that 1300 does look sweet though,........

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you go with the silver coating make sure the headers are clean before you heat cycle them. I installed jet hot coated headers on a Vette a while ago. Surprise, I got all greasy during the install. When I fired up the car, all of the greasy hand/finger prints became permanent artwork. I probably should have known better, but I didn't and my expensive headers looked like crap.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the infor fellows. i think that i am going to stick with the 1300 degree finish.

i wonder why HPC costs are so much higher???

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Jet Hot 2000 (black) coating on my blown and nitrous injected 10" tire Nova. It's butt ugly, but it is durable. I know my EGTs are between 1500 and 1600 degrees and there isn't a trace of flaking or discoloration.
I had a previous set of headers coated with their normal silver coating and after one pass at the strip the coating discolored and peeled off, mostly right before the collector. The funny thing was, I painted the areas that the Jet Hot coating peeled off with VHT paint and the paint never peeled off! Go Figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960