tune up costs ?

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you more experienced guys please help out a newbie here.
My 96 RT is running a bit rough, seems to hesitate through the rev range, and just does not feel like it is pulling at it's best. So, a tune up is probably required. I presume this is just plugs and leads, all being well. Any idea what this will cost me at a Dodge dealer versus say West Coast Viper or other independent tuner? (ballpark)
Is there a great difference between the two?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plugs $12.
Plug wires $63.
Time for a middle aged man with a bad back to change them all. 90 minutes (includes numerous breaks).

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
$60 - $100 / Hour Labor Costs + Viper Tax = $$$$

May be worth changing the fuel filter, pcv, air filters as well.

Numerous breaks per Chuck 98 RT/10 - add a six pack of barley pops!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...and, chaeck your throttle bodies for dirt, grime, and range of motion, then resync them ( if they have had the TSB screws placed into the cable release buttons, check for full range of movement...with left leading right by a hair).

OP
OP
K

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
looks like it's time to get my middle aged bad back working.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the plugs and plug wires in mine. I took a while but it was worth the effort. Just be patient and it will work out fine.

OP
OP
K

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another question guys. How the hell are you supposed to get the spark wires onto the coils at the rear of the motor?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to pull your wipers and cowl. It takes about 10 minutes. The Wipers have a snap cover over the base of the arm. Take them off and unbolt wipers. You may want to buy a small puller from the parts store to avoid scratching the paint. Cowl is attached by 4 screws. Two under the hood, one on each end of the cowl, you need room to swing the doors open all the way to get these two out. Then you can get at the coil packs.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to pull your wipers and cowl. It takes about 10 minutes. The Wipers have a snap cover over the base of the arm. Take them off and unbolt wipers. You may want to buy a small puller from the parts store to avoid scratching the paint. Cowl is attached by 4 screws. Two under the hood, one on each end of the cowl, you need room to swing the doors open all the way to get these two out. Then you can get at the coil packs.

Exactly. It is like riding a bike... once you learn you will always know how to do it.