turbocharging an 2002 viper?? what all do I need

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hello, Im looking at Turbonetics 60 series t4 turbos turbo.
I want to do this on a stock 02 viper gts and maybe have 6lbs boost?
What do you all think?
What do I have to do for the fuel system(fuel pump and injectors?)
and on the engine management side?
Anything else I should know
Its just a thought right now and im not 100% sure at this point
thanks for any help

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First, I hope you realize that just one of those turbos isn't sufficient for an 8.0L V10 engine. You'd need two if you're dead-set on running a T'netics 60-series. And regarding fuel system, it depends on what power you're wanting. At 6psi with some "street" turbos, you should see about 550-600 whp. That's probably outside the limit of a stock pump, especially as old as it is. Adding an inline pump may help, or and extra in the tank. The injectors will also need to be changed to higher capacity. Engine management options exist from SCT which tunes stock computer, to aftermarket piggy-back tuners (split second, VEC), to stand alone computers like AEM, Pectel, Motec, etc... Sky's the limit there, or your wallet.

If any of that sounds daunting, you may just want to get a kit from a place that already makes complete kits.

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah I will be running a pair of them and im not dead-set on running Turbonetics 60 series t4. I thought it might be good?? but I guess I should be looking at something else?
I do know about boost/engine management (I own a d3 procharged 89mustang with a stand alone computer) just dont know much about turbos/vipers.
pump/injectors is no problem as long as I know they make stuff for vipers. I also wasnt to sure if they made engine management(piggy back for vipers). I dont want anything to high in hp.I got that mustang and know how much b.s. it is
something like 600-700hp at the engine(equal to a newer viper)

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question one should be do you need to pass emissions. And to what standard does your state require? In my quest for chicago emission compliancei,I went with a vec 3. The obd port needs to still function. I eventually changed my vehicle registration location and no longer need emissions. So... Aem infinity 10 has been ordered. Should be here within a week I'd guess. Hardest part about twin turbos is simply fitting them in. For your needs, I'd go with some small turbos just so you can fit them in easier. I assure you it is very very tight with twin 76mm turbos if you do not cut the frame.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can make ANY, I repeat ANY standalone, from Pectel to Motec to AEM, pass emissions in a Plug-In state where OBD-2 compliance is required using a particular combination of systems/devices and a particular wiring harness design. Its not cheap to set up, but it is a permanent solution.

The cars have 2 modes: Drive and Test. Drive mode keeps the MIL off, and the car functions as normal. Test mode is entered for inspection purposes only. The car is driven until the monitors pass, and then tested, and ultimately returned to Drive mode. Test mode is completely OBD-2 emissions compliant.

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With only 6lbs in mind I would go with heads and cam first and then add boost later down the road if more power is needed. Twin Turboing these cars requires some modification/fabrication while heads and a cam are direct bolt on. You can also get away with the stock fuel system with heads/cam and have it tuned with an SCT. The SCT can also be used down the road if you decide to go TT.