Tweaking the SRT's looks

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tweaking the SRT\'s looks

I've started the process to make two cosmetic mods to my new silver SRT:

1. "Pick a Partner"!!! My good friend Chuck Slater has a new BLACK SRT. We are going to get together ASAP and swap our emblems. My silver ones will go on his black car, and his black ones are going on mine. I've removed, painted, and re-attached the emblems before on my GTS, so I'm not anticipating any problems.

2. I've started the process of "correcting" (in my opinion) the sharp slash behind the wheel well in the front fender. I've made several mockups and selected my favorite "curve". I need a favor from someone who is pretty good with Photo Shop, to smooth out some lines and better match the true color of the car on some digital pics. I have a cardboard panel done, and painted in a reasonably close silver color, but I would like to get a better look at how the final product will appear in the right color and with the bottom seam lip smoothed out a bit. Any volunteers?? I can already tell you that I'm AMAZED at how much better the car looks to me with just this one small change. Please email me at [email protected] Thanks.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tweaking the SRT\'s looks

Hmmm. Well, this should be interesting, if nothing else.
I'll be waiting to see the pics...and pass judgment. ;)
Objectivity personified,
Daffy

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In one of the last few Viper mags. there was an article on the different sytling possibilites and showed many different designs in the area you are talking about. There was a fairly long interview with Ralplh Giles the designer of the cars interior also. You can see quite a few of the differences in this issue, im sure someone will let us know which issue it was.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was talking to Roy at TNT when I ordered the new air intakes for the SRT and he said that he is coming out with new front fenders that resemble the GTS and RT/10. That was a few weeks ago. He might even have them done now.

ROB :usa:

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In one of the last few Viper mags. there was an article on the different sytling possibilites and showed many different designs in the area you are talking about. There was a fairly long interview with Ralplh Giles the designer of the cars interior also. You can see quite a few of the differences in this issue, im sure someone will let us know which issue it was.

That someone who knows, or someone like that someone, should scan them in, and post them here, so we, who don't know, can know. Ya know? :D
-Daffy

WPG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a quick rendering of the changes I would make:
You must be registered for see images

Stock SRT:
You must be registered for see images

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, the changes are certainly noticeable. Not sure I like the changes though. It looks fat. Not saying that's bad, necessarily. Just still trying to imagine what a real clean version of that would look like in person. Interesting. Good job on the presentation. Definitely food for thought.
-Daffy

z06corvette527

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The deletion of the exhaust to me is a bad idea i like it is makes the car look great, the changes to me are not that good its kinda hard to improve perfection isn't it?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking at the pictures it appears that the doors are shortened. That would be a MAJOR renovation on an existing car. The fender bulge doesn't really help from my perspective. I think what Wing was referring to is the sharp corner in the side, where Gen I/II were very rounded. I would think that could be improved or changed by just replacing the exhaust cover/lower fender pieces.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm, a big fan of the pick a partner deal... I was saying to myself black would look cool, that's an easy method...

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys have too much $$$ and too much time on your hands. Good luck with the changes.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with people that work hard and are successful enough to have the means and time to enjoy their passions. That is the American Dream.

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

WPG, Have you thought about a subscription to "Low-rider." They specialize in changing looks and adding modifications! Might have some new ideas you haven't thought of yet!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm surprised that you guys want to massage the sides. From my perspective, it's the rear of the car that needs some massaging. When you see the front of the SRT side by side with a comp coupe (the true ultimate), they are pretty similar. It's the rear that isn't quite right and I can't seem to put my finger on how to fix it.

z06corvette527

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really think you are making a mistake by doing the changes it looks great as is.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, picked up my SRT today and some impressions have changed. The side angular areas looked great as I walked toward the car from a distance. Up close I am not as fond of them. None the less that is not an area I would change now. The things that affected me most was the view from the drivers seat. The sharpness of the front fenders was a little disconcerting. I am so used to the wide and flowing hood on the Gen I/II, that seems to go on forever. The SRT hood seems so narrow due to the fender creases. In addition the louver positions breaks the fore-aft lines up so it does not appear as long. From the outside neither of those attributes is as noticeable. Guess I better get used to it.

I did receive quite a few honks and head turns during a 60 mile drive. Not a lot different than the amount of looks the RT provides. So I don't think the level of attention will diminish much. Of course some may have been wondering what the crazy person was doing driving with the top down in 45 degree temps. Well, I had to experience it that way as well.

I think I need more seat time with the car to really get my feelings in order. But I can say without question that the tall shift lever has got to go. After having the shorter knob in the RT/10 for a few years this one felt like a Mack truck shifter.

Ron