Typical Labor Hours for Gen1 Head Gasket Install

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took my car to the Viper Tech and he informed me that he had never heard of the Gen1's having head gasket problems and needing replacement with the newer MLS gasket kit. :cool: Should I be concerned? I also asked if he could install the Roe Racing exhaust and he said he needed to figure out how long it would take.

My questions: What would be a reasonible amount of labor hours for replacement of the head gasket on a Gen1? Also, how long would the labor be for installation of the Roe Racing exhaust? The service manager said it was a big job and I just want to have some info in hand.

Thanks in advanced!

Lee

V

Venomiss

Do a search. Many threads pulled up by plugging in Head gaskets. This is one you need to read:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/592247-gen-1-head-gaskets-80-000-miles.html

Then join the club and talk with some of your fellow viper owners in your area for a different Viper tech to talk with.:)
Here is how to join. You can also join online with PayPal. That thread is in the new owners section under Viper Renewal/joining.

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/603453-new-viper-owner-time-join-vca.html

93VIPERBOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done at Tators, He also did my exhaust, Give Chuck a call and bring it to him yiu will not be sorry

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my gasket kit from Chuck! Being that he is in NY, it was too far to tow or I would definitely have him do both exhaust and head gasket. My gaskets are weeping so I purchased the gasket kit beforehand. I was just surprised that a viper tech stated he had never heard of the failures on the Gen 1s.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and trailered my 94 to Tators in NY for the headgasket upgrade. It was worth the drive to have Chuck work on it because I knew the work would be done correctly.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will wait to see what the estimate is on the work from the Dodge viper tech. I also have the 180 thermo and he told me that it might cause a check engine light because of the engine being too cool.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lexciting, If those two examples don't leave you running from that vipertech, nothing will. Find another dealer. Search on my old posts. I posted extensive details on my headgasket install. Put the 180 thermo in.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
run as fast as you can. youre ASKING for trouble dealing with this "tech" and i use that term loosly.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will wait to see what the estimate is on the work from the Dodge viper tech. I also have the 180 thermo and he told me that it might cause a check engine light because of the engine being too cool.

A 180 degree thermostat will not cause an engine light to go on. Chuck recommends a 180 and I have one in mine without any problems. I would run from your local tech because it sounds like he might know Neons, but not Vipers.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
10-12 hours for a seasoned tech and a CLEAN engine is not out of the question. Much depends however on how much clean-up is needed. Some engines are a disaster and require a few extra hours to get off as much buildup as possible, and this is all assuming there are no surprises either.

Go to Chuck. its worth your drive.

PS- 180 T-Stat will not cause an issue. The PCM considers the engine "warmed up" at 180-185, and you would have to be going downhill in 6th at 100 in 32 degree weather to close the thermostat solid. We prefer to run 185's, and avoid 172's.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your lucky enough to be somewhat close th Tator's. Take your car there and have total piece of mind.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under the warranty Chrysler pays 6.2 hours! :mad: My best time was 7.5 hrs BUT Dan is right, EVERY motor is different and that one was spotless before I started! Around 10 hrs is the norm.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck,

When you say under warranty that Chrysler pays 6.2 hours, would that include a 94? I purchased the vehicle used and I doubt there was an extended warranty.

Unfortunately, the tech started the work (16 hours) but there is a problem. The gaskets are in place, but the tech says that the car is overheating and he can't figure out why. He also says that the car will not start now too. Strange. Before putting it in the shop, it was starting to overheat which is why I put it in the shop in addition to getting the gaskets done. He said the battery is good.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.....instead of listening to the advice here....you went ahead anyway with your "tech", who has never heard of THE MOST COMMON ENGINE PROBLEM IN GEN 1 CARS.

Not so good.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As an EXPERIENCED Viper owner...may I RESPECTFULLY but STRONGLY recommend that you have your "Viper Tech" CALL either Chuck Tator or Tom Sessions ASAP.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperJon - Actually, they started the work without informing me of an estimate of the labor/cost, as I requested prior to starting the work but that is a separate issue with the service manager! I asked and signed an estimate form and not a authorization form. This is why I asked for a estimate of the labor hours on the forum and I am PISSED!!!!!! I am trying to get with the service manager now to find out EXACTLY what they are doing to my car!

How the hell does the dealer tell me it is 16 hours labor when you supposely had not done anything as far as my previous post on the forum (04-22-2008, 09:34 PM) before today's post! They are trying to tell me this tech worked on my car for 16 hours straight in one day!?!?!?!?!? BS!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK....

I was told that the Bulk Head Connector was totally fried and will need to be rebuilt because it discontinued....

Any ideas, folks? Can I get this from a totalled viper? I am stunned at this point...

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tech says that the wiring from the bulkhead connector to the radiator is completely burnt and that I need the wiring harness both inside and outside of the cabin all the way to the gauges. He said it is located on the passenger side and it has a 40 prong (sp) connector as a point of reference. He said he is surprised there wasn't a fire...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This gets stranger every minute. My radiator has hoses going to it, not wiring bulkhead connectors. It has a small wiring harness to the fan motor, but there's no bulkhead there.

Call a wrecker and a lawyer. Have a friend run video for the lawsuit.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I called around and found a salvage yard that said they may have the pieces from a 94. He said the tech is probably referring to the power distribution center (PDC) harness (outside the cabin) and then the wiring harness to the dash. They said that basically both of these parts comprise the wiring from the engine compartment to the dash.

You are right, this is like the twilight zone!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Took my car to the Viper Tech and he informed me that he had never heard of the Gen1's having head gasket problems and needing replacement with the newer MLS gasket kit. :cool: Should I be concerned? Also, how long would the labor be for installation of [an]exhaust? The service manager said it was a big job and I just want to have some info in hand. Thanks in advanced! Lee

Dont walk away from that dealership............. RUN !!!!

The most widely documented issue with Vipers since 1992 was / is the fact that ALL OE head gaskets 1992-1995 will need to be replaced, usually well before 50,000 miles. As well known as the 96-00 frame recalls

Remving and replacing any bolt-on sidepipe kit should be well known to any "legit" and experienced tech.... about 5 hours with an EXPERIENCED tech...9-11 on head gaskets.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So.....instead of listening to the advice here....you went ahead anyway with your "tech", who has never heard of THE MOST COMMON ENGINE PROBLEM IN GEN 1 CARS. Not so good.

What he said.....

Viper Tech is Ben Dover?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.....instead of listening to the advice here....you went ahead anyway with your "tech", who has never heard of THE MOST COMMON ENGINE PROBLEM IN GEN 1 CARS.

Not so good.

What he said.....

Viper Tech is Ben Dover?

I think we should give this guy a little break here while he's getting screwed from every possible angle it appears.

He did say he had not approved of them to start work on the car.

I would show back up with a lawyer, and refuse to pay anything over book hours, and that's after deducting the expense of having the car inspected (and further repairs if needed) by a real Viper tech like Chuck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang