HOOD NONE
HOOD »Hood & components
Dodge › Viper › 1999-2002
List Price : $3,570.00
Your Price : $3,397.25

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's is a great deal. I just bought my GTS hood from Dodge Direct for $3400 Free shipping. If your getting it on sale $3,300 sounds about right..

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question - are these OEM (which are produced from multiple composite materials); or after market, which are probably just fiberglass?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall from my early 1990's days...there was an article I read regarding the post Desert Shield/Desert Storm military draw-down and its effect on military hardware and suppliers, etcetera. The article went on to explain how the company that made the canopies for the F-16 'Fighting Falcon' worked a deal with Dodge to manufacture the hoods for the GEN-I/II Viper. I guess their manufacturing techniques for the bubble canopy on the F-16 were perfect for how the Viper clamshel needed to be fabricated. This was sort of a case study of how military suppliers/manufacturers could find new life doing work in the automotive marketplace. Ove the years I've tried to find that article, but it was pre-internet/WWW and I guess it never made it into the media archives. Can't recall the tech publication at the time, but it was the same one that also described the Thunderbird SuperCoupe engine and intercooler development.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall from my early 1990's days...there was an article I read regarding the post Desert Shield/Desert Storm military draw-down and its effect on military hardware and suppliers, etcetera. The article went on to explain how the company that made the canopies for the F-16 'Fighting Falcon' worked a deal with Dodge to manufacture the hoods for the GEN-I/II Viper. I guess their manufacturing techniques for the bubble canopy on the F-16 were perfect for how the Viper clamshel needed to be fabricated. This was sort of a case study of how military suppliers/manufacturers could find new life doing work in the automotive marketplace. Ove the years I've tried to find that article, but it was pre-internet/WWW and I guess it never made it into the media archives. Can't recall the tech publication at the time, but it was the same one that also described the Thunderbird SuperCoupe engine and intercooler development.

That's a pretty cool story. Maybe some of the early historians will validate or even have a copy of the story.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 part numbers for Viper hoods in the current inventory. The "cheap" one is the export hood. I have not been able to find out exactly what all of the differences are beween the two.

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 part numbers for Viper hoods in the current inventory. The "cheap" one is the export hood. I have not been able to find out exactly what all of the differences are beween the two.

from what I remember , Vipers in Europe had/have a side turn signal repeater on the side of the hood. Could that be it?

No Sure if I "agree" with the 2 parts number price/deal. Who told you that?
What are the parts number?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I remember , Vipers in Europe had/have a side turn signal repeater on the side of the hood. Could that be it?

No Sure if I "agree" with the 2 parts number price/deal. Who told you that?
What are the parts number?

My info is direct from Dodge

Part #'s 4854329AA
4854328AA

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's is a great deal. I just bought my GTS hood from Dodge Direct for $3400 Free shipping. If your getting it on sale $3,300 sounds about right..

It would be good if WSAYERS80 posted a photo of the hood he bought just for us to see if there are any obvious differences between that hood and what came delivered on US cars. That price certainly seems a great deal; although, it isn't much different from a good used hood, I think?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be good if WSAYERS80 posted a photo of the hood he bought just for us to see if there are any obvious differences between that hood and what came delivered on US cars. That price certainly seems a great deal; although, it isn't much different from a good used hood, I think?
Why buy used when new is better? The other advantage is it gets shipped free to your local Dodge Dealer. All you have to do is drive there and pick it up...

Last edited:

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made an inquiry at the dodge dealership a few months ago and he quoted me a stock unpainted 97 gts hood was $17600. Yup you read that correctly lol.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made an inquiry at the dodge dealership a few months ago and he quoted me a stock unpainted 97 gts hood was $17600. Yup you read that correctly lol.

Yes, that is MSRP for the first part # steve911 posted above. A local dealer (Scottsdale) online quote for the 2nd part # is $3570 MSRP and $3210 as the "online" price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62