Tyres

neilsfishing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just got a 2009 ACR (replaced my 2002 GTS ACR) I have an issue with the the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, I had Toyo R888 on my GTS and loved them but due to the 19" rears no R888, what can you recomend or do in need to replace the 19" with 18"
Thanks
P.S I know this must have been discused befor I tried to serch and gave up sorry

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get an 18 inch rim on the back you will need to love the emergency brake. There is a bracket that someone sells to do so. There was also some nice 18s listed in the classified recently.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparable to the R888's for track use in the 345/30-19 size, you only have two choices currently. Hoosier R6 and the Pilot Sport Cup that you don't like. You will have to run 18's on the rear for more choices. I guess that's what most track guys do anyway. I am curious as to what is the issue with the Sport Cups, other than being like banana peels when they are cold. PS2-C1 is supposed to be a great tire as well for something that has tread on it, but I don't know personally, as I have never tried them.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A better anology to a bananapeel is a tire that is overheated IMO

Cold tire = hockey puck :)

Neil, how cold? Like what range min to max do you typically drive in?
Also, are we just talking about the street or do you track as well and how often?

OP
OP
N

neilsfishing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A better anology to a bananapeel is a tire that is overheated IMO

Cold tire = hockey puck :)

Neil, how cold? Like what range min to max do you typically drive in?
Also, are we just talking about the street or do you track as well and how often?

On the road then on the track I have found the Toyo R888 just the nuts and the cups on the road a night mare, I posibily have not warmed up the cups yet but dont seem to get any feed back from the grip of the cups till its all gone, where the r888 seem to give you the nod as to when you are pusshing it cold warm or hot
Any one used the PZ pirelli corsa

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil, while that '09 ACR is new to you, tires could be 4 or 5 years old plus a number of heat cycles. Those pilot cups are good when new but they definately don't like cold weather. You can stay stock size wheels try the new Michelin Pilot Super sports, not as good as a track tire but good all around. If your tracking your viper get a set of 18's all around, 18X11 fronts and 18X13 rears and stick with the tripple 8's if you like them, or, go with hoosier R-6's.

Take a look at the production dates of you cups as well as your viper's mileage and let us know, it may be just Your tires, Mike

LikeACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I ordered a set of 18-inch OZ.
Rear 13x18 inches.
Do you really need a emergency brake relocation kit or can also do a workshop without a kit.
Thanks

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe racing makes an ebrake relocation kit for like $99 it's easy to do and worth the price to get the right part.,I did this on my 2006 and run SSR 18" wheels all the way around with toyo 888's on the track. Theset up works great. I have sport cups on the street, IMO terrible tire once they have a heat cycle or two, very stiff tires and for the street that is harsh for the ride. Like Mike said above check your production date on the tires, if your doing street driving just go with the new Super sports

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely post a Viper road test report whenever they get in and you try them out. I am thinking about them also for a street tire, just waiting until they get in stock.

OK, am brand new around here. My intention was to post some reference.:dunno:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, am brand new around here. My intention was to post some reference.:dunno:

Perhaps you misinterpreted my intention of my post. Especially since I thought that you were referring to the brand new BFG tire coming out in a few months. I just assumed that you were referring to the new g-Force Rival & I'd like to hear 1st hand experience with them on a Viper, and assumed you were going to put them on a Viper. However, I see now that you were referring to their race tire instead. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, confusion is my middle name.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing I noticed you did not state, was how you intended to use the car? If you are planning on driving it on the highway 90% of the time , and maybe only an occasional track use, just go with a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Good ride, much better when cold, decent in the rain, and a pretty solid tire for track use too. Not as quick as a Hoosier or the Cups, but for everything else a great choice. For that matter the Pirelli Corsa would give you another choice for regular driving and decent choice for hitting the track once in awhile -- no need with these to get brake relocation kits, new rims , etc.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He drives it on the street the same way He drives on track .....Fast, with fast acceleration from the lights ;)

I know, Im normally behind him :D :slomo:

The last couple of days the temp has dropped here and we currently have snow!

I think Neil got told off for driving too fast at VOI ;)

OP
OP
N

neilsfishing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the 09 ACR has a lot moor go, but my 2002 ACR with R888 Toyo's was just the nuts, out of the garage on the power no prob, my new ACR with the cups is frightening if the Toyo's where available in a 19" thats what I would have, we are very restricted in whats avalable hear in the UK but I will inport from the US
I want the tyre for the track but I have to drive there
I have a new set of cups on a spare set of rims I will have a go with them on the track when its a bit warmer
any one used the Pirelli Corsa

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know the 09 ACR has a lot moor go, but my 2002 ACR with R888 Toyo's was just the nuts, out of the garage on the power no prob, my new ACR with the cups is frightening if the Toyo's where available in a 19" thats what I would have, we are very restricted in whats avalable hear in the UK but I will inport from the US
I want the tyre for the track but I have to drive there
I have a new set of cups on a spare set of rims I will have a go with them on the track when its a bit warmer
any one used the Pirelli Corsa

I used the Pirelli Corsa on a 911 GT3 about 7 years ago. The compound may have changed significantly since then. But I had problems with the compound chunking. Had to switch to another tire. If you prefer the Toyos (I have them on my 2000 GTS; Cups on my 2009 SRT for the street), I'd consider a set of 18" wheels. I bought a set of OZ racing wheels (for track tires only, Hoosier R8s) for the 2009 SRT from Viper Parts Rack. The price was unbelievably low. I want to say it was less than $2000 US for the set. I think you can see them reasonably well in the attached photo.

You must be registered for see images attach

JasonSSG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a spare set of rims for my 2009 for the track. I have stock 6-spoke wheels now and would like to get a set of OEM wheels for the track. I've always been told that OEM wheels are better than aftermarket. Maybe someone could chime in that uses aftermarket wheels for racing. Im looking for durability. As for the tires I too would like to keep the stock size's but Im not sure what kind of tread life the Pilot Sport Cups get versus the Hoosiers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang