Uconnect Media Center R4 Dev Kit?

CRASCH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Uconnect Media Center R4 is an interesting addition with downloadable apps. This unit is based on the QNX operating system made by RIM and is it is fairly easy to write software for, if there is an SDK for this implementation and / or a way to side load software. Downloadable apps sound great, but really what are we going to get besides what ships initially? I don't expect much specifically for the viper the market isn't big enough. But a lot could be done to scratch our own itches, and I would give anything away that I write for free. Probably not in the cards, but I thought I would ask...

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to download media files, GPS world wide maps... if possible then difentley it is a must! :2tu:

OP
OP
C

CRASCH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the web browser is available you should be able to use google maps. I didn't see a mention of it so it might be disabled. Bing search implies it might be accessible. Loading other map files should be possible although I don't know what format they are yet. All speculation at this point.

There are lots of possibilities. It can all be done. The effort is significantly more without a sanctioned DEV kit. Essentially we would have to hack and root the device. It depends on how open it is left. There are likely consoles and firmware upgrade paths left wide open. If not you actually have to find an exploit. This is probably moderately difficult at best. QNX is open source, but it is also marketed as a secure operating system. It would probably be best to buy a new unit or salvage one to tinker with. I'd hate to brick my car...

I'd like to integrate Waze or info from another source into the built in maps, perhaps even some other radar / laser detector info as well. I think with the bluetooth ****** stuff it should be achievable. Custom switches could be done with an adrino board as well through USB. Normal switches can then be wired to be soft switches, also normal info that lights up LEDs or has some sort of comm cable could be hooked into an adrino as well and converted to a USB interface.

OP
OP
C

CRASCH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. Not much use in downloadable apps, without people being able to create interesting apps for it. I'm just thinking all we will get are a few apps that have already been mentioned and nothing more. It would be such a waste to not open it up.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a Bb10 native sdk available for download on the blackberry site. Has QNX support in it. I've never done bb development but I've a lot of other professional development including embedded systems. If any of you guys are looking to build apps for UConnect I'd be interested in lending a hand...just give me a shout.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it only linked for appstore or what why its called applink?!
I only wish the uconnect is user-friendley and multi-media friendly especially for the maps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang