University Dodge - AGAIN!

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
Well here’s my latest encounter with University Dodge. Couple months ago my air was not blowing out very cold, took it in and they said it looked like my compressor / condenser was leaking. I asked how much and they said about $1,500. I said just put more Freon in and when I had the money I would have it fixed. Then my slave/clutch went out and had to pay for that (It’s on here under University Dodge) and at that time he said my line to the compressor was leaking I said okay fix that. (Line was $300 labor was $300) so the other day my air stops working and I took it in yesterday. Just got a call today telling me the condenser is leaking and that it would be $1,700. to fix I said you told me it was the line last time and he said well that was leaking too. I gave them a second chance and they must be hard up for money as I am. So if anyone knows some place else in the Ft Lauderdale area that I can take my car too, please let me know.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The parts are very expensive. Getting to everything under the dashboard and in the engine compartment can be time consuming. It is not that easy of a fix. You can do it for yourself, but it is an all day job for most.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this isn't much help, but if you can't find a good shop close by, either consider having one of the really well respected shops pick your car up and ship it to them, or consider buying the tools necessary to troubleshoot these things yourself. The A/C, for example, could have easily been checked for leaks by getting a simple fluorescent dye kit and a black light. Total cost, under $100 - and you would have been able to point the shop right at where the leak is (assuming you didn't want to do the repairs yourself). I've had enough questionable experiences with repair shops that I pretty much do everything myself. I'd rather spend the money on buying tools than paying someone else to mess with my car - unless of course I KNOW they're going to do it right. Unfortunately there are only a handful of places that I'd trust my car to and I only use them when something major goes wrong.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the gen 3's have the same o-ring issue the gen 2's have?

if so, could be a cheap fix. do a search (i'll see if i can find the thread too).

you can do the dye test and refill yourself with the kit from wally world

if it is a slow leak, adding refrigerant every so often will hold you over for awhile. it is easy and takes only 10 mins per can.

keep us posted

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car is a 2005 which means that it is at least five years old. As time goes on, things will need to be replaced and/or serviced. Based on your last thread and this one, I think that you need to step back and consider whether you can really afford to own a Viper at this particular time in your life. Viper parts are expensive unless you can locate a used part from someone like Viper Parts Larry or one of the other site sponsors that may carry same. Many of us in the South Florida Chapter of the VCA use University Dodge without any problem and they are always there to help.

I think you would do better to discuss your concerns privately with Mark Leslie rather than posting here. None of us have access to all the facts relating to your car or who did what at the dealership. Mark does.

OP
OP
V

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is a 2000 R/T 10 with 33,000 miles on it. I also have a 2005 SRT 10. And to Bobpax, its not whether or not I can afford a Viper at this time. Business is slow and I’m just watching were the money goes now days then before and just cuz I pull up in a Viper or cuz I have two that they can charge me whatever they want. Also the point on this site is to get feed back, I know you know the service manager there but I would like other peoples input as well. I don’t know much about engines and perhaps they know that and just keep trying to charge me.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a guess. But you might have done damage to other components by not getting it fixed in the first place. I'm no expert, but freon has lubricating properties. And if a system is run too low, for too long. It will force other component to fail..

Maybe I'm wrong?

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Rich,

I feel for you, you are right about having to pay too much for some of these simple repairs. The dealers are in the business of making money and they have huge overheads. Nevertheless, that is too much money for what they are charging. By the way the Viper is a very simple vehicle to work on. By no means it should take any more skill to work on a Viper than it takes to work on a Neon. I do all my work on my Viper since I bought it new back in 2002. If you have any questions about your car PM me and I'll try to help you. ;)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. These things are stupid easy to work on. The hardest part about working on them is getting them up in the air high enough to get underneath :) They're also so low that my back aches like crazy after hanging over the engine compartment for too long. Note to self - buy a lift...

BlackViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well here’s my latest encounter with University Dodge. Couple months ago my air was not blowing out very cold, took it in and they said it looked like my compressor / condenser was leaking. I asked how much and they said about $1,500. I said just put more Freon in and when I had the money I would have it fixed. Then my slave/clutch went out and had to pay for that (It’s on here under University Dodge) and at that time he said my line to the compressor was leaking I said okay fix that. (Line was $300 labor was $300) so the other day my air stops working and I took it in yesterday. Just got a call today telling me the condenser is leaking and that it would be $1,700. to fix I said you told me it was the line last time and he said well that was leaking too. I gave them a second chance and they must be hard up for money as I am. So if anyone knows some place else in the Ft Lauderdale area that I can take my car too, please let me know.

First of all, you can't just "put freon" in the unit, it's against the law if you don't attempt to correct the leak. It's very likely the the condenser is leaking because it's very common. Whether or not they diagnosed the issue correctly the first time or not, unless they charged you the $600 and didn't fix the issue but you still had to pay---THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. It's still the same problem the first time they told you you had an issue. To me it sounds like you shouldn't own a Viper if a $1500 repair bill is too much to be quite honest and you're complaining about a company that has done nothing wrong thus far.

OP
OP
V

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Blackviper, and yes he did “just put freon in” and I did have to pay the $600 for the new line and before that I paid another $100 for them to look at the car to tell me what was wrong with it. I don’t think I said I can’t afford $1500 to fix my air. I just want the air fixed and done right. The air working for a couple of weeks then having to take it back in so they can tell me something else is wrong with it is just not right.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
University Dodge installed my Belanger headers,HF Cats and MOPAR pcm...they did an excellent job..I personally got under the car and did a double inspection. For a car out of warranty, I would have a shop that specializes in Auto air-conditioning service it...there are at least 10 VCA members who use University Dodge...Mark Leslie the Service Manager is well grounded on Viper issues...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just cause he can afford $1500 for repairs, doesnt mean he wants to. nothing wrong with saving money

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been going to Arigo Dodge off the Sawgrass near Commercial. Ryan is in service and the Viper tech has done work before. Just a suggestion for the future and another future option. Sandy G.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 2000 R/T 10 with 33,000 miles on it. I also have a 2005 SRT 10. And to Bobpantax, its not whether or not I can afford a Viper at this time. Business is slow and I’m just watching were the money goes now days then before and just cuz I pull up in a Viper or cuz I have two that they can charge me whatever they want. Also the point on this site is to get feed back, I know you know the service manager there but I would like other peoples input as well. I don’t know much about engines and perhaps they know that and just keep trying to charge me.

Since the car at issue is a 2000 R/T 10, it is 11 years old. Before your ownership of the vehicle has concluded, you will, unless you are very lucky, experience other repairs requiring a significant outlay of funds. Parts for the Gen II will soon be more scarce. The cost of maintaining the car may go up. In the meantime, I agree with the poster above who said that University did not do anything wrong.

Each of us has our ways of handling service issues. I stand by my comment that discussing the matter with Mark and not on this site would have been more appropriate.

However, I am curious. Telephones and email work. If you were concerned about cost, how come you did not make a few calls or email one or more automotive air conditioning repair businesses to ask some questions and perhaps see if they could fix it for less money? Apparently, you did not do so and only authorized what you knew was a partial repair job per the data contained in your initial post.

The way I look at it you did not do your homework. You did not authorize a full repair job on an eleven year old car. And now you are trying to blame the fact that the problem was not completely fixed on University Dodge.

What am I missing?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good point, the search feature on this site works great.

use the site for homework as well as slamming this dealer

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have going to University Dodge for years with my Vipers.Mark Leslie and the Viper Tect.(Raymond) are excellent.When Raymond works on my Viper,I watch him to see what he is doing.I have never seen a more attention to detail person work on a car.He does excellent work.Yes, Vipers cost a lot to fix,but believe me Mark and Raymond are the best.I am a very attention to detail person,so I know.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1
2009 Ford F 250 4x4
Furure Owner 2010 Dodge Powerwagon 4x4 from University Dodge

OP
OP
V

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the car at issue is a 2000 R/T 10, it is 11 years old. Before your ownership of the vehicle has concluded, you will, unless you are very lucky, experience other repairs requiring a significant outlay of funds. Parts for the Gen II will soon be more scarce. The cost of maintaining the car may go up. In the meantime, I agree with the poster above who said that University did not do anything wrong.

Each of us has our ways of handling service issues. I stand by my comment that discussing the matter with Mark and not on this site would have been more appropriate.

However, I am curious. Telephones and email work. If you were concerned about cost, how come you did not make a few calls or email one or more automotive air conditioning repair businesses to ask some questions and perhaps see if they could fix it for less money? Apparently, you did not do so and only authorized what you knew was a partial repair job per the data contained in your initial post.

The way I look at it you did not do your homework. You did not authorize a full repair job on an eleven year old car. And now you are trying to blame the fact that the problem was not completely fixed on University Dodge.

What am I missing?

Here’s what you’re missing, car was purchased 11/11/00 so it’s a little over 9 years old. Took it to them to tell me what was wrong and they said need to replace compressor looks to be leaking. I was going to take it elsewhere to get a second opinion but then the slave cylinder went out after they fixed it and while they were fixing that, Mike (mechanic) said it looks like the line is what’s leaking. He went on the system and said there was only one line in Michigan and if I wanted it. Told him to go order it and they replaced it and it was working fine for about 3 weeks. So now when I went back in its now the compressor again, so did I really need this line? Well I don’t know if I did or didn’t need it. I have only talked to Mark on the phone once, and that was about the slave cylinder.

BlackViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on that, I agree that you have some talking to do but you will walk to talk to mark in person to get it resolved. It very well could have needed both parts but when they originally diagnosed the condenser that was all that was wrong with it. Later the "line" could have started leaking an making a second problem which is why it wasn't diagnosed the first time. That being said, they may have just misdiagnosed that the line was leaking in the first place---you or I will never know the answer to that question. They should however give you some sort of discounted rate and try to work with you to replace the condenser if you just spent $600 on replacing the line and the problem came back 3 weeks later.

But again, you were "apparently" given the correct diagnosis the first time and sounded like you really didn't want to hear it because it was too expensive. When someone messed up, or saw a second leak and said it would take care of all your problems and it was less than 1/2 the original quote---you jumped on it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The age of the car is not based on when you bought it. It is based on when the car was manufactured. Seals and other parts can degrade even if a car has never been started. Did you buy the car used?

2. I still do not see what they did wrong. You decided just to replace the line. Not an unusual replacement for a Gen II. When I had my Gen II GTS, the line was replaced twice due to leaks after dye testing located the leak. I would guess that they did the same test to your car. Another part on your car failed three weeks later - so what? It happens. It's not their fault. If it had failed three months later would you have complained then? One year? The timing of the failure had nothing to do with them. It is an old car. An old car is an old piece of equipemt and, like any older piece of equipment, it wears out over time and parts need to be replaced.

3. I hope that your repair goes well at the other place. Please let us know what they end up doing; how much it cost;and, whether the repair lasts.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have followed Mark Leslie to every Dodge Dealer he has been Service Manager with. He always has done anything within his power to get things done for Viper Owners. Though some of his mechanics have been better than others. He is still the one consistant person that cares about his customers.

Lastly air conditioning systems that have been run on little or no freon are junk. After the system has been contaminated every component can still retain metal fragments just waiting to become dislodged in your newly repaired system.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just cause he can afford $1500 for repairs, doesnt mean he wants to. nothing wrong with saving money

EXACTLY !!

Repaired and then not working three weeks later sounds like they either missed part of the problem or misdiagnosed the first time. Probably not that unusual with freon leaks. It's easier to guess and get it done and out the door rather to take ones time and really go over it using dye etc.

Last one I looked at for A/C issues didn't even have some of the o-rings...as in they were missing.

I'm thinking I could do those repairs really really cheap while staying on the 41' SeaRay. I would probably take at least a week though :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They did not miss anything. He chose to do a partial repair per his posts above. What some of you may be missing is that he was using the A/C for quite some time while it was low on freon. I think that we really need to be careful that we have all the facts before jumping to a conclusion about a Service Department that has been very supportive and helpful to many of us in the South Florida Chapter.

The bottom line here, based on the posts by Vipper Rich, is that he brought a 2000 Viper in because of an air conditioning problem. He was told what needed to be done and chose not to do all that was needed. There was a subsequent equipment failure. It's an old car. It's not old because University Dodge made it old. It's old because it is a 2000 Viper and it is now 2010.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They did not miss anything. He chose to do a partial repair per his posts above. What some of you may be missing is that he was using the A/C for quite some time while it was low on freon. I think that we really need to be careful that we have all the facts before jumping to a conclusion about a Service Department that has been very supportive and helpful to many of us in the South Florida Chapter.

The bottom line here, based on the posts by Vipper Rich, is that he brought a 2000 Viper in because of an air conditioning problem. He was told what needed to be done and chose not to do all that was needed. There was a subsequent equipment failure. It's an old car. It's not old because University Dodge made it old. It's old because it is a 2000 Viper and it is now 2010.

Missing ?
Running the A/C with low freon will not hurt it. It has a pressure switch in the line. If the freon gets to low the clutch in the compressor will not engage. I hope you didn't get that info from the Dodge dealership :dunno:

1. Freon wasn't blowing "very" cold.......added freon. Nothing is wrong with that. It will not hurt the system. It will not make it "junk" as Ray said. In fact, totally out of freon will most likely not hurt anything. Metal fragments ? Are you guys making **** up ?
2. Second time in: "the line is leaking " Well ?? The first time they said it was the compressor/condenser. I would have asked.... which one ?? Two different pieces. I would also have asked them if the compressor/condenser healed itself since the last diagnoses :D
3. Third time in for A/C. Now the condenser is leaking (again) Was it not leaking when they did the line on the second visit ?? Is it going to be the compressor next month ? Sounds like someone dropped the ball by not knowing/checking what the first diagnoses was. It also sounds like Vipper Rich possibly went with the line diagnoses and may not have mentioned or asked about the first diagnoses...maybe in hopes that that the line was the only problem.
BlackViperGTS's post is pretty much spot on.

I agree that maybe all the facts or both sides of the story are not here...BUT...if Rich is leaning one way, you are leaning as much the other way. Or do you know all the facts ?? ;)

Mark may be the best guy in the world but he still has to rely on his techs for correct information. It's good that he takes care of you guys.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some clarification Tony. I clearly stated that I have not always been pleased with the Viper Techs at some of the Dealerships Mark has ran. What I said was if I brought the any problem that I found to his attention he corrected it.

Secondly having a fleet of trucks in south Fl I have a lot of experience with failed air conditioning systems. I don't think the cycling off and on in 95 degree weather is good for the compressor. This could possibly cause some wear of the piston releasing metal into the in-line filter and clogging it. The compressor will then cycle as if it is low on freon till it destroys itself. Now the entire system has been exposed to the contamination and would be in my opinion "junk". Not every system is the same but if one of my trucks develop a problem out of warranty or during the warranty period with the air conditioning system I sell it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang