Use caution with this ebay seller of 18" wheels/tires

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use caution with this ebay seller of 18\" wheels/tires

There's a guy on ebay, he's got no comments next to his name, meaning he's new that is running this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2416127984&category=40942&rd=1
18" Dodge Viper Factory OEM Wheels & Tires
He stopped the auction early and when I inquired about the wheels/tires, he said they were still available. He said he would only take payment by Western Union. What is strange, is that the auction says he is from Canada. Now he says he's in London (UK) and the tires and wheels will be shipped from there. Says shipping will be $170 which is also hard to believe. This whole deals smells like dead fish. If anyone is working with this guy, be careful.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Use caution with this ebay seller of 18

I agree, stay away!!

I was going to purcase these wheels a while back. When I said I wanted a local acquaintance to actually view the wheels for purchase in person, (not an unreasonable request I thought for such an expensive purchase), he gave me the same "London" story and that I could not pick them up and they would have to be shipped.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a friend from college (foreign exchange) that lives near London, her mom is an automotive enthusiast (owns a few rare, fast cars). I'm sure we can ask for him to be checked out by her ;) and help ebay nab this dickpuffer.

*this post is meant to be more of a joke, although the above statements are true.

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I was looking for wheels for my 97 GTS, I saw these. The pics were actually from an auction for a 99 Viper (I think it was a GTS) which I had seen the week before on ebay. I informed ebay Safe Harbor that the pics were taken from another auction but don't know what happened with it. I'm not sure if it is the same person but the pics are identical (nice shiny contact surface on the tires though...talk about grip problems).

Andy

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Use caution with this ebay seller of 18\" wheels/tires

G
If your interested in 2001 wheels and tires email me. I'll be selling mine in the next few weeks ;)

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mmm wasnt somebody complaining that his viper got stolen? maybe pieces are starting to show up on ebay and the seller is extra careful since he knows the source of his parts hence the convoluted sales scheme?

alex
02 gts
few other cars

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or he could just be a crook!

I've seen some strange scams on e-bay - still a good place to get some items though.

Just be careful.

2charmed

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was the high bidder on those rims/tires. Contacted his to say I might take a ride and pick them up. He sais he was out of the country, in the UK. I retracted my bid.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any payment option requiring Western Union *only* is a fraud. Ebay knows it. Its a long-time scam that they have not put an end to. I have seen it EVERYWHERE. Typically higher-end auctions where its worth their time to create ID's and monitor email (typically yahoo/hotmail accounts). See them prevalently in high-end electronics (plasma tvs for example) and High-end fitness equipment.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's what he emailed to me:

My brother close the auction for 1400$ for someone else and this man don't want to pay him now ....regards and mail me soon !!!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the same guy that told me he is in Romania with the wheels! Yeah, and to send him a Western Union. He is from Canada. Straight Bulls$$t here!
STAY AWAY from this one!!

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, we had a brief email exchange. The whole thing sounded very fishy to me. There are a lot of internet scams nowadays and Ebay has deteriorated. I found sellers who have others bid on items only to drive up prices, etc. I even received an anonymous email regarding an item I had advertised for sale on a web site and found that this guy was part of ring in Nigeria that have been pulling off internet scams. As they say, Buyer Beware!

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i checked the deal. it is the typical western union scam. usually trully originates from romania. they do have a way of picking the money over there without providing any personal info- usually involves an insider at the local western union branch. the money destination can be also in the us or canada- there is a way to relay the money automatically and the scammers take full advantage. if you want to confirm the shippment as the buyer and ask for a ups tracking number what they do is they will provide you with one, but it is in reality an id for a pickup which never materializes. however it is in ups' system and upon a check the buyer will see an entry with the appropriate data (source, destination, weight, unsured value, etc.) which disappears the next 48 hours or so since it timesout). some people send money.

and yes, ebay is a good place to buy certain stuff...

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It doesnt matter where you are from! They can pick up the money from Iowa for all they care, as long as you have an ID....any ID. A crook will have real good fake ones, I'm sure.

There were NUMEROUS auctions with the payment going to addresses in NYC. All real addys. Its easy to create the auction, go get your money at the western union, and disappear.

The "confirmation number" typically is just the western union transaction ID. Less-savvy internet buyers will assume that this is some tracking number for the merchandise, when its just a confirmation number that you just got screwwed.

Hurricane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Save yourself the hassle, only conduct business with fellow Viper brethren. Seems to me the posters here have the experience to cut through the minutia to help keep us from getting burned.

If these guys worked as hard at something honest.......now you got me worked up :mad:

S

Stang7900

I'm the guy he stopped the auction for $1,400.00. I mentioned using an escrow service with me paying the fees and he would not do it. SO IT IS REALLY A SCAM> DONT BUY THEM..beware..here is my recent thread.
Email thread:
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 12:39 PM
To: Milia, Stephen(EM, TIP/MOD)
Subject: RE: Item #2416127984

Mister Steve ,
I'm for the first time on ebay and i don't stay all day on the computer to know all this things ...i only want to see the payment made so i can shipp the item to you ...this is my VIN V704694...i buy my car from a friend so don't expect to see my name there ...the man that want to make the pickup was from BC Canada !!! Do you think that i don't want the cash?

"Milia, Stephen(EM, TIP/MOD)" <[email protected]> wrote:
Scam red flags:
1) registered in Canada product supposedly in UK (weird)
2) no prior feedback record in ebay.
3) pictures posted were from someone else's auction. (a 1999 gts)
4) wants money western union (know to be used by scammers mostly)
5) someone else wanted to purchase and pick them up and you told him they must be shipped ( very odd since you own a service station)
6) wont do escrow service, which is best.

TELL YOU WHAT< If it is off of your viper, email me your vin# so I can do a check on it. If it comes up in your name I'll send you the money today

If you cant supply that then it is a scam, i work hard for my money.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: Item #2416127984

This is not a SCAM!!! Good Bye !!!

"Milia, Stephen(EM, TIP/MOD)" <[email protected]> wrote:
I just want to be safe. I will pay the fees and we can use www.escrow.com this will protect both of us. I will deposit the money at escrow.com today, they will release upon delivery of the tires. If you still have a problem with this method than I know it's a scam.
If not this way, I will not do the deal!!

Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 7:36 AM
Subject: Fw: Item #2416127984

----- Original Message -----
To: Steve
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 3:33 AM
Subject: Re: Item #2416127984

Mister Steve ,
What is this coz i really don't understand ....do you think that i'm a thief ....i have a Viper car and a service station here in London and you belive that i'm trying to rub you for 1400$ ....I don't want to have trouble with the police mister ...if you still want the wheels i want to see the payment and after that i will shipp them to you ....if not i wont do the deal !!!

Steve <[email protected]> wrote:
Ponti,

Attached is an e-mail thread that someone sent me. After review, I will not send payment until you send one rim/tire in good faith. If the tire arrives in good order, I will send payment for it. If this is no good we can use an escrow service. I am not going to prepay if it is possibly a scam. I hope you understand. Let me know what you decide. Thanks.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960