Value of a Hennessey Viper 1000, 2006

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's not a Venom 550, that's a Viper ACR that went to Hennessey's for at tuner upgrade to the engine that hasn't hit the reserve price. My 98 GTS dyno'd 598rwhp/644rwtq with only a Roe supercahrger and water/**** on it and I almost bought a Venom 550R that had a similar engine.

Venoms have much more than an engine upgrade. GTSbud in Alta had Hennessey Brakes, spoiler, nose, monogram, etc.

A Viper with Hennessey upgrades is not a Venom 1000 - it's just a Tuner car by Hennessey. The Venom has been featured in magazines, on TV etc and has added value because of that. The ebay car isn't worth much extra just because Hennessey did a little bit of work on the engine. As stated in the forums, Hennessey does not have a good rep. Venoms do have a documented higher value.

Ted

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So each Hennessey car needs to be evaluated individually ? This car may be a good car ?

Dodge : Viper:eBay Motors (item 120504400504 end time Dec-16-09 17:59:10 PST)

That's not even a close comparison, is it?
550 HP, 2000 MY and 13K miles vs 1000HP, 2006 MY and 3K miles?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for attacking my "credibility" for having posted four times and giving my personal experience with a Hennessey. I didn't know # of posts = Viper credibility. Please, oh wise one, enlighten me on all things Viper lol.

And yes, that's right, I said hearsay. You think everyone who has a bad opinion of Hennessey has owned one? Or been directly involved in the lawsuits? Please.

Go back to the hole you crawled out from as you have NOTHING to offer to the discussion.

Your either an idiot or a functional illiterate to be defending the indefendible here of all places.
My guess is the former.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So each Hennessey car needs to be evaluated individually ? This car may be a good car ?

Dodge : Viper:eBay Motors (item 120504400504 end time Dec-16-09 17:59:10 PST)

A normal ACR with Hennessey mods is just a 'tuner' car and not comparable to a Venom 'package car'.

My Macedo Motorsports modified engined car is worth more because it wasn't done by Hennessey. Larry's reputation is good. UGR has a good reputation. SVS is bad, etc.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for attacking my "credibility" for having posted four times and giving my personal experience with a Hennessey. I didn't know # of posts = Viper credibility. Please, oh wise one, enlighten me on all things Viper lol.

And yes, that's right, I said hearsay. You think everyone who has a bad opinion of Hennessey has owned one? Or been directly involved in the lawsuits? Please.

Go back to the hole you crawled out from as you have NOTHING to offer to the discussion.
I understand hearsay but please remember there is a definate reason the man has been banned from here for years .

the_postman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that, my whole purpose of posting was to give my own (and 100% positive) experience with Hennessey so the OP could have both sides of the Hennessey debate. Unfortunately, ViperJon is too ignorant or too immature to allow someone to have a different opinion than him.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that, my whole purpose of posting was to give my own (and 100% positive) experience with Hennessey so the OP could have both sides of the Hennessey debate. Unfortunately, ViperJon is too ignorant or too immature to allow someone to have a different opinion than him.

Unfortunately you are among the minority. There is much more evidence of all the crappy things that he did versus the few that he did right.

If you are a Hennesey supporter I seriously doubt you will get much support on this forum.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two sides to every coin. EVERY tuner has skeletons in the closet and JH is no exception.

Having owned Tuner cars most all my life, I can safely say that NONE of the tuner cars live up to the hype. Way too touchy, to get any of them to run right for any extended period of time. The cars that can brag about *** on the dyno are rarely any good off the dyno. Just my opinion.

Look over the car in detail and have it checked out. If you can land it for $50K to $65K and it is all there, then you will do okay. You can part it out, return it to relative stock and still do okay at that cost.

What most do not realize is this is a used car sale from a thrid party, NOT H directly. You are not buying it from him directly so what does it matter. A new car from H for $225K; well then I would say absolutely not as the cost is ridiculous and you would have to have a cot in his shop during the build to make sure you get everything, but on the used for that cost, it seems fair.

Used cars are always a crap shoot anyway. You could buy a used stocker and have the motor go out and be out $20K. Just do your homework and you will be fine!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two sides to every coin. EVERY tuner has skeletons in the closet and JH is no exception.

Having owned Tuner cars most all my life, I can safely say that NONE of the tuner cars live up to the hype. Way too touchy, to get any of them to run right for any extended period of time. The cars that can brag about *** on the dyno are rarely any good off the dyno. Just my opinion.

Look over the car in detail and have it checked out. If you can land it for $50K to $65K and it is all there, then you will do okay. You can part it out, return it to relative stock and still do okay at that cost.

What most do not realize is this is a used car sale from a thrid party, NOT H directly. You are not buying it from him directly so what does it matter. A new car from H for $225K; well then I would say absolutely not as the cost is ridiculous and you would have to have a cot in his shop during the build to make sure you get everything, but on the used for that cost, it seems fair.

Used cars are always a crap shoot anyway. You could buy a used stocker and have the motor go out and be out $20K. Just do your homework and you will be fine!
GREAT POST as a ton of these tuners out there simply dont want or have the money to do the correct amount of R&D on their services (LOL in many cases it doesnot matter because half of their customers only race their dyno numbers against other cars )Where HMS got into trouble was the fraud aspect of charging his customers for a part or a service (included into the motor build sheet ect )and NEVER come close to putting that part or service on the car .

OP
OP
Q

QuickOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREAT POST as a ton of these tuners out there simply dont want or have the money to do the correct amount of R&D on their services (LOL in many cases it doesnot matter because half of their customers only race their dyno numbers against other cars )Where HMS got into trouble was the fraud aspect of charging his customers for a part or a service (included into the motor build sheet ect )and NEVER come close to putting that part or service on the car .

I'll let everyone know what happens. I'll be aiming for a 50K price after an inspection.
Sure is crappy that this nice almost new viper has such a bad rap sheet with only 3200 miles on it.
I know not all are bad, but this sure doesn't bode well for resale. That's for sure.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let everyone know what happens. I'll be aiming for a 50K price after an inspection.
Sure is crappy that this nice almost new viper has such a bad rap sheet with only 3200 miles on it.
I know not all are bad, but this sure doesn't bode well for resale. That's for sure.
Good luck (maybe you got a car built for a TEXAS resident )Remember to have the guy doing the inspection either pull a head or the pan off to verify the parts are there upgraded ones to support the power that motor is supposed to make (RODS ,PISTONS ,UPGRADED MAIN ECT ) ALONG WITH A COMPRESSION CHECK.With HMS a build sheet MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many of you would let someone pull your motor apart if you had your car up for sale? When I sold my Z06 I told buyers they could have BCAA or their mechanic come to my house and "inspect" the car if they wish. I would not have let them take it to a shop to have the oil pan removed and valve covers taken off ... who knows what idiot might over tighten bolts in the aluminum block or any number of things that might happen. :nono:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many of you would let someone pull your motor apart if you had your car up for sale? When I sold my Z06 I told buyers they could have BCAA or their mechanic come to my house and "inspect" the car if they wish. I would not have let them take it to a shop to have the oil pan removed and valve covers taken off ... who knows what idiot might over tighten bolts in the aluminum block or any number of things that might happen. :nono:
ACCORDINGLY then the buyer should be prepared to get *crewed.The reason the cars is at the price its at is its SUPPOSED to have PREMIUM PARTS and be in good working order .Without a way to verify this ALL BETS ARE OFF esp considering the tuner it came from.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eliems;

Agreed! If I was selling any of my tuner cars, a ride and a trip on the car lift would be all they would get, along with a mile of documentation. Never let anyone take apart any of my tuner cars for potential sale. You don't want to play by my rules, you don't get my car. If I owned this HMS Venom 1000 car, I would have a reputable mechanic go in, take pictures and document everything there, then provide that data for view before sale. Best way to protect your your value, as opposed to letting every two bit hick touch your car.

A perfect world, this is not.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've talked to the guy and his rep is not the best. He even told me a few things I knew were not true. He is notorious for claiming to have done things to a car that were in fact not done. You would have to have it checked out to verify everything. The guy has been sued by everyone and their mother. But, he seems to stay in business and it also seems that if you live in Texas, he does you okay. I guess maybe they are too close to screw over. Quite frankly, I wouldn't pay his overprices for what may or may not have been done. Not worth the aggravation.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eliems;

Agreed! If I was selling any of my tuner cars, a ride and a trip on the car lift would be all they would get, along with a mile of documentation. Never let anyone take apart any of my tuner cars for potential sale. You don't want to play by my rules, you don't get my car. If I owned this HMS Venom 1000 car, I would have a reputable mechanic go in, take pictures and document everything there, then provide that data for view before sale. Best way to protect your your value, as opposed to letting every two bit hick touch your car.

A perfect world, this is not.
Under normal circumstances i would agree with you 100 % but in this particular case noting the tuner in questions rep how can one possibly document they are getting what they paid for without having someone qualifyed pull off the head or the pan.No Mechanic can possiby verify internal engine upgrades from just looking.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give you guys a good HMS story.There was a guy Steve G from Marlboro NJ who bought a Gen 1 Venom 600 directly from HMS .Two days after the car arrived i pass him broken down on the side of the road in nearby Colts Neck.I stopped to try to help (offer him a ride ect ).He winds up having the car flatbedded to Nick at Modern.(Now this guy paid top dollar for this car at the time BECAUSE HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT VIPERS OTHER THAN HMS MOTOR TREND ARTICLES ).Nick discovers HMS sold the guy the car with a blown rear (basically was one of his test mules he ran with slicks all the time ).SO TYPICAL.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give you guys a good HMS story.There was a guy Steve G from Marlboro NJ who bought a Gen 1 Venom 600 directly from HMS .Two days after the car arrived i pass him broken down on the side of the road in nearby Colts Neck.I stopped to try to help (offer him a ride ect ).He winds up having the car flatbedded to Nick at Modern.(Now this guy paid top dollar for this car at the time BECAUSE HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT VIPERS OTHER THAN HMS MOTOR TREND ARTICLES ).Nick discovers HMS sold the guy the car with a blown rear (basically was one of his test mules he ran with slicks all the time ).SO TYPICAL.

Of course you never hear about stories like that in the magazines. I'm just amazed at how much the mags love him. He must be paying somebody off. :dunno:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course you never hear about stories like that in the magazines. I'm just amazed at how much the mags love him. He must be paying somebody off. :dunno:
Someone he was close to either worked or knew someone at Motortrend..

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hennessey screwed me over $1,500 for a chrome intake manifold. he would never answer my calls or emails he is a POS

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps someone should send them a link to this thread?

It doesn't matter and he wouldn't care anyway as he cannot post here to defend himself. The exposure of this site comared to Motortrend or Car&Driver is negligable. Probably less than 200 people will ever view this thread. As a result, the *crewing will continue unabated.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just heard a rumor that Hennessey will be making an appearance at the Auto Sport Show NEC Birmingham UK in January. Wonder what hes up to? I'm going to make sure my cars well and truly locked up ;)

Mark
:uk:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32