Values of coupes since no 07 and new 08 are coming

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you think the prices on the 06 coupes are going to do over the next 6 months? I am going to pick up a b/w FE but am not in a huge hurry. Im debating on holding off a couple of months to see what prices do.

For you guys that have been in the game for a while, where do you think the price on the FE coupe will finally settle and hold? Also how will it compare to the other colors and editions.

I feel that not making a 07 and a more hp 08 coming will effect the present coupe pricing.But in what direction?

thanks!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coupes seem to be holding steady. Firming up even. Not too many b/w's around, and they usually command a premium price.

When the 08's come out, it will all depend on how they are priced, and what changes are made in them.

Crystal ball very cloudy at this time.

If I wanted a B/W and found a nice one for sale, I would grab it when I could. Expect it to depreciate slowly for several years, and then flatten out.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coupes seem to be holding steady. Firming up even. Not too many b/w's around, and they usually command a premium price.

When the 08's come out, it will all depend on how they are priced, and what changes are made in them.

Crystal ball very cloudy at this time.

If I wanted a B/W and found a nice one for sale, I would grab it when I could. Expect it to depreciate slowly for several years, and then flatten out.

+1. Get the car now. They won't take a big enough hit in any case to miss the drive time you have now.

Reaction score
IMHO, Never wait for the next generation(revision, etc), as:
it may be delayed or never arrive; it may not meet expectations: most important you will lose the enjoyment of driving the current generation(no one knows how long we will be blessed to enjoy driving).

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hopefully we will see a price stabilization of all gen-3's in the coming months, as the supplies slowly dwindle, and as summer 07 approaches- demand may exceed new supply... in which case we may see some appreciation of all cars.

I have said it before- dont wait for the new generation. not only do we not know for SURE what it all about, but we also dont know how the aftermarket will respond to it, which will take some time in itself. If you are the kind of guy who likes modding, it very well may be a very difficult car to modify depending on what (if) they do to the engine, and it may take years for the Vipers' aftermarket to catch up if it is a departure from the current design. Not to mention, it is altogether possible that the new engine may actually be less capable overall than current and past models... it has happened before in other cars.

OP
OP

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great, you guys have just added aggrevation to the itch,lol. Guess I will get heavier in the search.

I am not really interested in the new models since I know they will be demanding a huge premium. I am going to get a FE to have fun with and probably keep my eyes open for a 96/97 (b/w) to add to the stable. Thanks for all the views and opinions.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Make the move now, I just did!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have said it before- dint wait for the new generation. not only do we not know for SURE what it all about, but we also don't know how the aftermarket will respond to it, which will take some time in itself. If you are the kind of guy who likes modding, it very well may be a very difficult car to modify depending on what (if) they do to the engine, and it may take years for the Vipers' aftermarket to catch up if it is a departure from the current design. Not to mention, it is altogether possible that the new engine may actually be less capable overall than current and past models... it has happened before in other cars.

I totally agree with Final here. It takes at least a year to get aftermarket products to market as one of the problems you face is you need a car to work with. It may be damn impossible to do any tuning on the new engine as I have heard their will be a new system out besides the old OBD 11 system that has been used from 1996. Believe me when I tell you the factories do not want us messing with their emissions settings as we are doing now. It could well be a very long and hard learning curve.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also just bought an 06 coupe---blue and silver stripes. I love this car! Gives me a chubby every time I drive it. John

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I may be wrong but I think that if the 08 goes up substantially and proves to be a serious performer, that the prices of all the SRT-10s will go up from where they are now. My reasoning is that it will attract more attention to the Vipers and alot of people will have that "I want to be associated with/Gotta have a Viper" attitude. I imagine the dealerships will attach an ADM to the car and thus make it even more expensive. As a result of this increase I think many will want the latest greatest but not be able to afford it or not want to pay the increase in price. This in turn could possibly drive them to the 03-06 SRT-10s. Heck, I could be wrong as my wife is always telling me I am.

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...my problem with Vipers is selling them :laugh: ...I have too many and I still won't part with one.....just had a coupe delivered and the resale makes no difference to me personally as it will never be sold

...I really don't see a price rise on the 06 Coupes as the new toy comes out, there are always too many people wanting to sell at any given time to see a price increase of any sorts...depreciation may slow, but I doubt it...

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask 2002 gts jon what a 1100 mile red with silver srtc just sold for last week here in chicago. i clicked to bid two seconds too late and the car was sold.

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming cheap ???

haven't followed the market on coupes much, but I know the SRT10 verts took a major beating....neighbor bought a new red 05 last spring for $64K....DC closeout, along with a bunch of SRT Rams...

OP
OP

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that is nuts. Not a red and silver guy but that would have been tempting.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Must be a story to that car. They are wholeselling all day for 65-66 no stripes. You could call any Big Viper dealer in the US...and get at least 64k. Just shopped one of my coupes yesterday...1700 miles, and pricing was 64.5-65.7...no stripes. Was that an ebay deal?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
manheim, dodge factory car...no disclosures...our forecast was for one foot of snow that day which I think helped keep the money short. i watched it via simulcast so I couldnt touch the car, but for that money it was a steal. my stomach dropped when my bid didnt hit

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
manheim, dodge factory car...no disclosures...our forecast was for one foot of snow that day which I think helped keep the money short. i watched it via simulcast so I couldnt touch the car, but for that money it was a steal. my stomach dropped when my bid didnt hit

Dam...what a sweet deal that would have been!!

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok..I got the story on the SRTC. It was used in the SRT experience. The side sills were beat to hell. Wheels dented, scuffed...tires bad. My dealer friend who was bidding on the car had a max bid of 55k. Said it was the worst looking 1200 mile car you could imagine. Said it looked like a 30k mile car...and that is the way he bid it.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my dads a tv repairman, hes got an ultimate et of tools....I can fix it

hell a little spit shine and that car was good as new

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my dads a tv repairman, hes got an ultimate et of tools....I can fix it

hell a little spit shine and that car was good as new

And that is what he said. Someone who could do it on the cheap could have a nice car for well under wholesale.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting question.

First off, this is my first post since sending in my VCA membership and purchasing my new 2006 Viper SRT10 Coupe just a few weeks ago. So "Hi guys and gals". I have waited a very long time to be able to say that and I do so with the pride of ownership that a true Viper enthusiast can express. Been a Saleen man up to this point, well I guess I still am in a way as I still have my 1995 S351R Speedster, among other toys.

As far as prices, I will say that there are deals out there. My car, is a full load 2006 Viper SRT10 Coupe in GTS Blue with Silver Stripes, etc. I got a screamin' deal brand new. Bought it off the showroom floor in a little town in Nebraska with 27 miles on it, just before the big snow. Price was $77,000 for the car, and $3000 for the 100,000 mile/7yr/$0 Deductible factory extended warranty. $80K total, plus local taxes. I personally think I stole it!

As for the question at hand, I do not think the prices are going to drop much below $75K for some time, for the Coupes anyway. Super Snake? Well it could be still a year off. All about supply and demand, I guess. I would think that Dodge will wait until the 07 Z06 or Z07 or whatever Chevy will call it, comes out just so they can trump the car and trump it good.

My dealership told me an interesting story that from their inside knowledge, having just gone back to DC to get an additional $5K in incentives a few days prior, on top of the selling it to me at dealer cost (the only way this would work out to the costs I paid) they said that DC is toying with the idea of a program that will allow 06' Coupe owners the ability to send in their cars to DC/Maclarn to get the tuning and software upgrades from the factory that should add another 45 hp to push that to about 555 HP. They mentioned that from their talks this was just going to be for the 06' coupes. I did not put much stock in it (this is dealership talk after all) but thought I would pass it along. Anyone shed any light on this?

Anyway, I think the 06 oupes are goign to hold their own extremely well. Find the deal and drive home with the *******.

Personally for me, DC/Maclarn adds that kind of HP, I have to believe it will be over the $110K mark. Pretty expensive company at those speeds and HP levels which should push it up there. That puts my new Viper at more than $33K less. I can live with a bit slower car at them costs.

Love the car though it is screamin for some lower gears. the right gears and the Z06 doesn't look that good. Well it doesn't look that good to me anyway. Dime a dozen here in Colorado. I have not seen another 06 Couoe yet. Yeh!!!!!

OP
OP

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coloviper, Welcome to the site and the viper world, you will never look back. Speaking of Saleens, hopefully one day I will own an S7.

I just got rid of a 06 blue and silver coupe and I paid $78k for it new. I purchased it from Ringgold dodge. I wish you where right on the $75k range but I think we are going to see $60k to $72k real soon as the norm. $72 being the FE and VCA edition.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
04Mystic;

Not sure why you would sell your 06' Viper Coupe so quickly, but MRSP on my 06' Viper Coupe was $91,295. Every option available including the 5 spoke rims and S/S. To buy in as I did at realistic post-initial-depreciation type of price at $77K new, and buy it factory fresh with not idiot bag-drives on it previously and adding on 100K of 7 yrs, $0 deductible factory bumper to bumper warranty, I do not regret my purchase at all. Not one bit!

The dealership I bought from was Schmidt Motors in Ogallala, Nebraska. No EBAY here, though they did have an add on their at one time. Wonderful experience and service. They showed me all their factory documentation that they paid for the car from Chrysler and I have all of it. They sold it to me at absolutely no profit, and the extra DC incentives on top of that including the factory extended warranty at their dealer cost. It was a marketing tool for them for the summer, served it's purpose and rather than be stuck with it over winter in Nebraska, they just dumped it right in my lap. 27 miles from the drive in their local parade which they gave pictures of as well.

I looked around for over two months until I found just the right deal and the right timing. I would never buy from EBAY direct. This purchase took me to Nebraska from Colorado. Colorado dealers would not budge from the MRSPs, so I am not sure I agree with your rationale on your pricing. It is not that way in my part of the country. Known history, service records, etc. will keep the depreciation real.

Personally the FE, VCA and whatever editions they havecoming, unless it is more than an interior boob job, I do not see them commanding an extra $12K over a full load Viper coupe. We are not talking about the first VCA Viper special model here.

Naw,.... I will stick with the $75k number. Don't see it dropping that quick for the coupes. The verts, maybe as they have not changed that much from 03, thus there are more out there but the coupes, nope, I just do not see it.

BTW, having owned over five Saleens in my life, some new and some used, it would be a very frosty day in hell before I would plunk down money on the S7. This is Saleen build quality and QA we are talking about here. My S351R is more fortified now than from the factory, hell the original owner had catestrophic piston failure after 1100 miles. Car now has a 408 stroker kit on the rebuilt block. 576 rwhp. Bit by Saleen once, shame on me, twice, shame on Saleen. There is NO third time with Saleen for me, no matter how great the S7 looks.

It's supply and demand, no 07 Coupe, only 06s to choose from, why would the price drop? I don't see Viper owners running out to buy Z06s, etc.

Sorry, if I am coming across a bit brash, but having saved about $15,000 on the price of a brand new Viper and being told that costs are going to fall another $15,000 soon, isn't really going to make an immediate friendship.

I tell you a set of real gears in the back and Z06 numbers or better are not that far off. I think the new coupe holds it's own extremely well. other than gears, I would not change a damn thing on it, except the oil.

Later!

OP
OP

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK Noob,

I tried the nice way to welcome you, now lets try the normal viper welcome. And Im sure others will chime in. First of all this is the 3rd viper I have owned this year. Do a little research before you start the know all routine. There a plenty of 06 coupes that can be had for 68k to 72k right now with hardly no miles. There is a brandnew 1st edition on a lot right now for $77k. There is a FE with [*****] wheels on ebay right now that the owner will take 74k. A red 06 coupe just sold on a auction for 57k.

So go enjoy your one off 06 coupe that will only depreciate $2k.

And Im deeply hurt that you dont want to be my friend, LMFAO!!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa!

Guess let's get this out of the way, right off the bat here and some long term members can chime in if they like becuase this is my first experience with the VCA.

If this forum is going to be one of Viper bashing, etc. whenever a new member wants to get in and participate, I can save everyone and especially myself, a lot of time and leave this forum right now. This is not why I signed on to this forum and not why I bought a Viper and joined this VCA club. All I did was express an opinion of what I have seen out here in Colorado.

I decided to get the Viper because I really liked it and wanted to own one. I also wanted to get out of the Mustang/Saleen crowd because it was becoming a bunch of young punk kids with no respect for the history of the vehicle or originality. Sorry but your call letters and your attitude are exactly why I wanted to get out of the Mustang scene.

O4Mystic, I am not going to sink down to your level on anything, but will say that I could care less if you owned 100 Vipers. I am here to try to participate so I don't need the new kid on the block hazing and this "give me respect" crap. There are always beat up Vipers out there and they will be cheap. Want crap, buy cheap.

BTW the 1995 Saleen S351R Speedster I own IS the BASF "Mystic Edition" Speedster, but you don't see me yapping about my dominance with color shifting paint since I own the original vehicle, the first to display it? I only mention it to make this point. Owning three Vipers in a year just tells me everything I needed to know about you.

Again guys, someone fill me in to this forum. If this forum is no different from every other Mustang type of poorattitude forum, then it was a brief "get to know ya".

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I will say there really ARE some big egos on this forum. I have experienced it myself several times. From the majority of us here...WELCOME to the VCA. Take what some of the members say here with a grain of salt. There are a lot of great people/members here who will go out of their way to provide you with useful and helpful information. Again, Welcome and enjoy your new Viper. :2tu:

Flash

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coloviper: Welcome to the forum.

Pricing- Wholesale pricing on 1000-2000 mile coupes right now is 64.5-66. There are some higher and some lower...like the 57k car mentioned. But it was beat to hell and back...and needs alot of work. So taking mid 60's as the wholesale...that puts retail at 70-73. Now..new Coupes can be bought for 75-85k. This is up from about 2 months ago. The supply is dwindling, and pricing is tightening. Don't expect a bloodbath from here on out. The cars will of course depreciate, but probably slower than normal from here forward.

Enjoy your Viper. For the most part, it is a good community.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks fellows;

I think I will stick around as with this being my first Viper, the information is very important to me. Resale information, not so much important to me personally but information about the car and people's experience with theirs is.

Have a great weekend.