VCA EXCLUSIVE: Your next big scoop on 2008!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You aren't a marketing guy, are you.
Um, actually I am - and a very successful one at that. The car is drawing people like almost no other even in the previews. Rest assured that people will by that base car with "only" 600 HP and then consider these upgrades. And perhaps the factory will as well. It is a marketing hit with pretty much everybody except you.

I for one will be buying an 08 and adding on at least the full exhaust and cold air box...

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is drawing people like almost no other even in the previews.

chris's comments are right on.

i took a peak over at the vette forums and could not believe my ears. guess what?! THEY LIKE IT!

NUF SAID. :D

(look out your windows now for flying pigs, activity may vary from state to state, check your local listings.)

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to get my hands on one. 600HP NA from the factory thats insane. Now if only I didn't have to get rid of my ACR to do it :(

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People have yet to understand the mistake GM made.

That mistake is pricing the Vette within range of the Viper. This changes the game. It is no longer a $30k upgrade to a Viper. More like $15k, and if GM actually produces the Blue Baller, then the price is dead on.
Vette guys, at heart, realize they are driving a Vette. They know the difference between a Vette and Viper, and will soon realize they can now purchase a Viper for nearly the same as a Vette.
Easy choice for anyone and everyone!

This next Viper will real in the Vette guys that have been stuck there for a long time! :D

I think DC might be on the right track with the Viper. A couple years with 600hp+ and then a major body chance along with another power rise, and they should sell like hotcakes! :2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was one of the dumbest marketing moves i have ever seen. I think DC is really lost without Lutz.
Yep, if you read just about ANY other car forum (Vette, Mustang, Ferrari, etc.) they are ALL talking about this car. And most with a "incredible!" response. Rest assured it was a superb bit of marketing. And why would a company feature it in a major worldclass manufacturers auto show if there weren't some realistic expectations to come from it? So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. And that is what it is all about.

If they had plans to build this as a real option I would agree. They got great press when they introduced the Gen III Viper too, but then what came off the assembly line was completely different.

If they had plans to make it happen, they should state that. An expensive press release to say 'look what we could do if we wanted' isn't very valuable since you are selling what you don't have. They could have just wheeled out another concept car, or motorcycle with a Viper engine.

You aren't a marketing guy, are you. The old adage, of any press is good press doesn't hold. If you keep crying wolf about what could be and don't deliver it ruins a reputation. Like I said bad marketing move again.

I've been here a long time but that was one of the best laughs I've had in a while. Y2K5SRT is not a marketing man......Whoooo! I'm still huffing and chuffing and wiping the coke off the keyboard. Whew!
And THIS was a bad marketing move? Lemme tell ya I was up till 5am the first night with all the guys who were VCA who wanted to register for that forum and 4am the next night, and It's still going on. Read this thread with all the requests.
The definition of a good marketing move is when it inspires interest in a product. A GREAT marketing move is when people go ballistic with their interest, trust me on every site on the net INCLUDING Corvette forum, people are ballistic about this car.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the marketing on 2008 600HP Viper/675HP Mopar upgradeable Viper prototype is brilliant. It's like showing two aces and holding three cards in hand in the high stakes high performance poker game.

DC announces the 600HP 2008 Viper which makes the Viper "king of the road" when it comes out in production. Most say "Wow" but the die-hard speed demons here say it needs more aggressive styling and don't forget... the Vette Blue Devil is coming so it's going to be short lived. The Viper community wants a car that beats the mytical Blue Devil.

DC then announces/shows the Mopar upgradeable 675HP Viper as a concept. The die-hards drool and want it in production. There really is not much of a change in outer body styling between the 2008 Viper and the Mopar upgradeable Viper but I must admit, I love the look and certainly the potential. The possibilities of what the 2008 Viper could be is exactly what SRT was looking to ignite and I think we can all agree that they certainly did so. They did so without committing to what their answer to the Blue Devil would be.

To do so this early (announcing a 675HP production version) is not good because it almost finalizes what might be coming and Chevy can still change the Blue Devil, if it ever gets produced, to answer back. If you were thinking about a 2008 Viper purchase, would you buy it knowing a faster car is coming? With the 675HP upgradeable prototype, it allows those who don't have a *** of money sitting around to purchase into the platform, knowing it can be upgraded when the funds permit.

DC showed a partial hand with the 675HP upgradeable Viper concept announcement. It makes people really think about the 2008 Viper as an upgradeable platform that even the manufacturer has toyed with. The 2008 Viper has not had every ounce of power squeezed out of it. That is quite clear. At 675HP, there are also those that don't want an unmanageable rocket in their driveway. 600HP is enough of a leap over the previous generation that it has answered the call to the Z06 in spades. DC just wants you to know it's not over yet for those who crave More Power...

Anyway, in thinking about it, I wouldn't expect a commitment at this time over the 675HP Viper but what they have done is shown the world that SRT has three more cards they haven't shown yet. The subtle watermark on the 675HP announcement was "bring on the Blue Devil..."

This is awesome for the high performance car community and these are exciting times. Thanks SRT.

Santo

P.S. For those like me who can't afford either of the new Vipers announced, it certainly is making me think twice about even Gen III Vipers. I think it just made Gen IIIs the base model with the 2008 being the enhanced model and the prototype being the "OMG!" model. Knowing that the hood can be replaced and adding a few extra parts and a paint job, "posers" can also have a new looking car from a Gen III ;-) I really think DC thought about Gen III sales and owners when they decided on this direction. I would conclude that it's win-win for everyone.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post Santo. Your poker analogy is a good one. It's as if they've just shown pocket aces (08 concept) to GM and dared them to raise the bet with a pair of Kings (Blue Devil). If the '08 is priced similar to the '06 and the upgrade is $12-15k, you'd have a 675 HP (N.A.) Viper that is out of this world for $105k vs a 625-650 HP supercharged Vette (albeit lighter) for the same price. I think most people looking to spend $100-$105k would go for the Dodge based on reliability (N.A. vs S.C) and exclusivity. Game, set, match: Viper!

I just sold my c6z06 because, although it was faster than my '02 GTS, the driving experience didn't even come close to comparing. I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER SPENDING THE SAME $ FOR A 650 HP VETTE AS A 675 HP VIPER. Period. Even if the Vet was lighter and 1/10th faster, I'd still go with the snake all day long.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been here a long time but that was one of the best laughs I've had in a while. Y2K5SRT is not a marketing man......Whoooo! I'm still huffing and chuffing and wiping the coke off the keyboard.

I guess the admins here ARE high... oh wait, he meant the beverage. :D :nana:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You aren't a marketing guy, are you.
Um, actually I am - and a very successful one at that. The car is drawing people like almost no other even in the previews. Rest assured that people will by that base car with "only" 600 HP and then consider these upgrades. And perhaps the factory will as well. It is a marketing hit with pretty much everybody except you.

Sorry, been away for a few days.

If all DC wants to do is create buzz and have people talking they should have had Saddam where a Dodge cap during the execution. Now that would have had a lot more message boards ablaze.

Spending millions to create something that may never see production is a waste of money. Many marketing guys think that spending millions to get some air time is great, but the real measure is how many sales it generates. Given that this marketing is around something that doesn't exist it will be pretty hard to even break even.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They got great press when they introduced the Gen III Viper too, but then what came off the assembly line was completely different.

and what please was completely different ??? :rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he will enlighten us.

I guess you forget the unveiling of what turned out to be the comp coupe. Everyone was dying to see that new generation viper hit the streets, but what showed up was the SRT which didn't come close.

You are now officially enlightened.

SNAKE.OIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ginger has ordered a orange 2008 Viper Roadster for her birthday (that was on the 8th). Wasn't that nice of her to let me get that for her? :bonker:

Alan & Ginger
Tucson, AZ
2004 BLK SRT 10
"Snake Oil"

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They got great press when they introduced the Gen III Viper too, but then what came off the assembly line was completely different.

I guess you forget the unveiling of what turned out to be the comp coupe. Everyone was dying to see that new generation viper hit the streets, but what showed up was the SRT which didn't come close.

LOL Oh yeah, a factory built dedicated race car. What a let down that was. LOL

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, Chuck, for keeping some perspective. Please go find another factory built race car that you can buy and get support. The Comp Coupe rocks.

Sorry your street car doesn't have a wing, splitter and aero suitable for 160 MPH. But be thankful you CAN but the race car if you want.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL What's the old adage about "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink?" Oh well, more water for the rest of us!!

Alan - Yeah, I bet Ginger will really enjoy her birthday present - if she can ever get you away from it!!

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Umm, nooo. They showed it originally implying the street version Gen 3 would be very similar, but it wasn't, and really disappionted just about everyone at the time. I guess it proves that there really is a sucker born every minute.

Perhaps PT Barnum is running DC markting campaigns with certain folks as targets.

LMAO

S

sachin

They did show this as a concept of what the new viper would be. I'm sure everyone here has seen it a billion times but
You must be registered for see images

Had that turned out to be the Gen 3 viper it would have been a lot more successfull

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Umm, nooo. They showed it originally implying the street version Gen 3 would be very similar, but it wasn't, and really disappionted just about everyone at the time. I guess it proves that there really is a sucker born every minute.

Perhaps PT Barnum is running DC markting campaigns with certain folks as targets.

LMAO

Gerber Foods must run a similar campaign.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got home for the NAIAS and the car looks even BETTER in person. 2 impressions: 1. Wow, absolutely menacing! 2. This thing will not be cheap. I think they could throw $115-125k on this and sell no problem. It is just head & shoulders about ANYTHING at or beneath that price point - period. Congrats DC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi