VCA South Florida Trip to Smokey Mountains, October 22-27, 2009

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear VCA Member,

Member Blair Retchin and myself are planning a spectacular VCA trip to the Smoky Mountains in late October to see the changing of the leaves. Blair who’s a part time resident of Wear’s Valley (which is just 5 miles outside Gatlinburg, Tennessee) will be our gracious host for 4 days and has some of the most incredible day excursions planned.

Some of the things we'll be doing include: An early morning run through Smoky Mountain National Park for some great pancakes in Gatlinburg. The rest of Saturday through Monday would consist of some great rides i.e. Blue Ridge Parkway, Foot Hills Parkway, Roaring Fork Road in Gatlinburg, Deals Gap-US highway 129 ( for those of you who haven't heard of this, it is world famous for 318 curves in 11 miles, touring Fontana, NC and the Reservoir and anything else we can pack into a fun-filled weekend.

Incidentally, we're inviting the other Regional VCA Clubs in the Southeast Zone, so you may see some of your friends from the other VCA Chapters. So again, please take a moment to look over our schedule and email me if you think you can get away. You'll have an amazing time with memories to last a lifetime.

As far as accommodations go, we can choose from motels, hotels, and cabins (large and small). We'll have some options for all of you, depending on what you're looking for. As far as dining, there are some fantastic gourmet restaurants (Blair personally feels they beat Miami's best) and of course numerous great barbeque joints.

Remember, this trip is taking place for sure. We just want you to be part of it! I look forward to hearing from you and for including you with us.

TRAVEL ITINERARY
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Leave Miami 5am, Ft. Lauderdale at 6am heading North on 95. Final destination for the late afternoon is Savannah, Georgia. We'll be spending the evening and part of Friday in Savannah.

Friday, October 23, 2009
Have a relaxing morning, leave in the early afternoon to Gatlinburg. Dinner and fun times in Gatlinburg!

Saturday, October 24, 2009
Day excursion 1. Dinner in Gatlinburg.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 & Monday, October 26, 2009
Day excursion 2. Dinner in Gatlinburg.

Monday, October 26, 2009
Day excursion 3. Dinner in Gatlinburg.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Depart for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. You can drive back in one shot (14 hours) or spend the night in Lake City, Florida.

Anyone who would want to get more information, you can go to
www.pigeonforge.com
www.gatlinburg.com
Any of you who might want to do Deals Gap by motorcycle, arrangements can be made with Blair's friend Scott Maddux who owns Smokey Mountain Harley.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan,
We just had our annual Gatlinburg/Dragon Tail weekend a few weeks ago. We had a total of 43 Vipers attend. It went so well, everyone wants to do it again in the fall. We were shooting for end Oct/first part of Nov. So this may very well be a good opportunity for us to join ya'll. We'll stay in touch.
Chip

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad,

Great to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing you and your club up in your neck of the woods, and to do those drives together. It's gonna be a great time for sure. I've got the first round!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad,

Great to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing you and your club up in your neck of the woods, and to do those drives together. It's gonna be a great time for sure. I've got the first round!

Chad, Chuck, Chris, doesn't matter. Just as long as you've still got the first round. :D :2tu::headbang:

-Chip

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi Ivan,

The Central and North Florida members have been talking about doing something like this too, this sounds great. I am sure you can count on 10-15 cars from this area. Please keep me posted.

John

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John,

That's great! I'll keep you in the loop of any significant changes. Looking forward to it! FYI, there have been some requests from some members asking if they must drive a Viper. Some of them have family and don't want to pass on the opportunity to be with great friends, so I have left that part open. (Some also want to do the ride on a bike.)

Speak to you soon!

Ivan

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I would like to cross-post this into the GA, AL/TN, and the Carolina clubs. The turnout could be huge :2tu:

Any objections?

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan sounds like a great week up in the mountains. I will add my name to the list since I can always use a Viper cruise.

Mike is your wife going?

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Dougs wife yesterday and they need a vacation. No committment yet from them so we need more members to bug them.

Tuesday a bunch of us went out to dinner with our Vipers and we were discussing this adventure. Looks like we reeled in 2 more Vipers for the trip. Call me when you have a chance Ivan.

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Dougs wife yesterday and they need a vacation. No committment yet from them so we need more members to bug them.

Tuesday a bunch of us went out to dinner with our Vipers and we were discussing this adventure. Looks like we reeled in 2 more Vipers for the trip. Call me when you have a chance Ivan.

Ritchie,

That's great! Can you send your number to me to my email.. [email protected]

Thank you.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan we need a head count and can we add Dougs name into the mix?

Thanks for the update on the Savannah hotel.

Hampton Inn
201 E. Bay Street
Savannah, GA
Tel: 912-231-9700
Rate is $188/night plus tax

:usa:

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Members,

This is your last reminder and our final push to have those on the fence thinking about joining us for an incredible Viper Cruise to the Smokies, to come and JOIN US!

We still have lots of room left and we would love for you to join a great group who's elected to go. There are about 10 couples from the Central North Florida VCA going, plus other VCA Members from the Alabama/Tennessee region as well.

If you're thinking about going, stop thinking and email me to confirm your attendance. You'll also have to make your room reservations as well.

The roads selected for this Viper Cruise are some of the most spectacular roads around. PLUS, with the changing of the leaves, it promises to be the Cruise of a lifetime. Please make some time to join us, and to make this event one you'll always remember, with our VCA family across the SE region.

I hope to hear from you soon. Our deadline to address the restaurants will be this Friday. Please RSVP by then in order that we can accommodate you and your guest.

You must be registered for see images

Winding road next to creek leading into Gatlinberg

Cade's Cove

View from Foothills Parkway

From the Blue Ridge Parkway

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a list of who is going yet? I made my reservations and we have 2 weeks to go. It appears Doug Levin is going now after Ivan has bugged him for several weeks. Nothing like some pressure from friends to help you unwind;)

:drive:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it was on the itinerary, but Clingman's Dome would be a great place to go also. Its the highest point in Tenn. From the top you can see all the mtn ranges. It's a nice ride up there too. Just an idea.:)

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it was on the itinerary, but Clingman's Dome would be a great place to go also. Its the highest point in Tenn. From the top you can see all the mtn ranges. It's a nice ride up there too. Just an idea.:)

That sounds like a great idea. We can take a detour or fit it in.

So far, we have 7 from South Florida, 9 from Central North Florida, 3 from Georgia, and at least 3 or more from Tennessee/Alabama.

The number may change slightly in the coming weeks.

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are any members going from the west coast? IF so we can caravan from there ( I am in Naples ) and meet up at Daytona.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are any members going from the west coast? IF so we can caravan from there ( I am in Naples ) and meet up at Daytona.

I will see whats up with my schedule.I am in lake county,we could possibly meet at I4&27.

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if I can make this work. I would have a couple of days to play (22nd and the 23rd). I don't know if I'm up for driving 8hrs to Savannah, hooking up with the caravan for one night and then driving back for another 8hrs.

Anyone else from South Florida (VPR HLR) got similar plans, or are you doing the full tour? My phone is always on if anyone down here wants to hook up, then or any other time. 239-877-4280.

Bob

Last edited: