Venom 650R- 2 GSX1300R - 0

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jamie, i'm with you on this one. they just don't get it. we're talking about a stock, off the showroom floor bike. what would happen if the bike got a 75% hp increase like the car?dj

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

I guess it depends on how you define "street" cars. If slicks and skinnies disqualifies it as street, then I think you're right because no Snake will hook up well enough without them. If slicks & skinnies are alright, then there at least three 9-sec. street cars that I can think of from here in Texas. Mark Heidaker's RT runs in the high 9's on a good day (very low 10's on a not-so-good day), the old King Snake (now gone, RIP) would run solid 9's (9.4's through 9.9's, depending on good fortune) and a few weeks ago a Dallas car ran like a 9.99 at San Antonio event.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...The King Snake did 9's???? How much hp was it putting out....Is it the same TNT King Snake from Motortrend that did 10.8 with 777hp??? More importantly, since Im an n/a fan, was the King Snake still n/a when it did the 9's??? Im assuming it the same one since it got steamrolled by a rig during the 1LOA by C&D and John N said its no longer around. Sorry for all the questions but Im new to the Viper.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Stupid question here. Somebody posted that the hyabusa goes 0-60 in 2.2 seconds and does the 1/4 in 9.53 @145. The Stock Viper goes 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and does the 1/4 in 12.2 right? The Hyabusa gets to 60MPH 2 seconds faster than the Viper. If you take 2 seconds off the Viper 1/4 mile time of 12.2, you get 10.2 right? To me this means that from 60 MPH, the Stock Viper and the Hyabusa are .7 seconds apart. Everybody is comparing the trap speeds at the end of the 1/4 mile which is skewed by the fact that the Hyabusa is probably up to 90 MPH by the 4.2 second mark. I think everybody here in the motorcycle camp here is probably correct that the Hyabusa is faster, but the gap is not really as large as they might think. I think the torque/weight ratio of the Viper and the inherent ggreater stability of the Viper(Compaared to a motorcycle)at higher speeds 130MPH & up is where the Viper will level the playing field. Just my opinion, could'nt resist, Paolo

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fact Paolo, if you take the two seconds off at the 60 mph point, which would be somewhere between the 60 ft mark and well before the 1/8th mile point, you should get more than a 2 second drop in the 1/4 mile ET. I can't remember the ratio but one tenths of a second in the 60ft equals something like half a second at the 1/4.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you can't assume that because a motorcycle is 2 seconds quicker to 60 and 2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 that they are accelerating at the same rate after 60. You're comparing a speed (60) to a distance (1/4 mile). At the end of the quarter that two seconds is WAY larger of a lead because the vehicles are traveling at 120-140mph. Imagine how far you can travel in 2 seconds at 130. So if you use your logic, but keep the comparison consistent the shellacking is much greater than you'd imagine. If the bike is going 140 in 10 seconds and the car 120 in 12 seconds, how much longer is it gonna take the car to go from 120 to 140? I don't know, but it's quite a bit.

PLEASE, look at these posts objectively. EVERY guy who owns a Viper and a fast, new streetbike knows the Viper will get stomped. I'm not more partial to my $10K bike than my $90K Viper, and neither are these other guys. People get so bent over these posts because of the utter stupidity of the assumption that Vipers (souped up or not) and Huyabusas are close.

If some guy posts on here that his bone stock Acura Integra dusted an '01 GTS, I'm sure you'd all pile on him with the same vigor. Deal with it.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said there are probally some 9 sec vipers out there and slicks and skinnies are ok I just haven't seen any, usually those 9 sec snakes seem to run 10's when I am watching them because usually its either too hot outside the tracks slick they miss third gear the clutch was slipping or the finish line lights were at the 1350 ft mark, or maybe its because I live on the east coast but it seems like the magazines that do articles can never get a clean run on one of those real fast cars either maybe there just hard to drive? Or maybe those tracks out west are a little shorter.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, I hope it's the sultry southern air and not shorter tracks, because I'd be really bummed about not getting into the 11's with my stock '97 GTS if our tracks are shorter (not as if I've tried real hard, I've only taken it to the drag strip 3 times). These cars of course run mostly in Texas, so I doubt you've seen them on the east coast. Heidaker and Terpstra did go up to Ohio a couple years ago for a drag race event though. As I recall the TNT car won with something like a 9.67. That's on spray with slicks. Car magazines have never made it that fast because only one King Snake was ever tested and they required it to run the same tires for all tests (high speed & 1/4 mile). As I recall, C&D got like an 11.4 quarter with Pilot Sports and no spray. They're out there lurking somewhere. BTW, by the same argument I've never seen you run the great times you have posted, but I don't post that I doubt you can do it. We all live in separate parts of the country and we all just can't witness everything.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by PMUM:
Keep in mind that you can't assume that because a motorcycle is 2 seconds quicker to 60 and 2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 that they are accelerating at the same rate after 60. You're comparing a speed (60) to a distance (1/4 mile). At the end of the quarter that two seconds is WAY larger of a lead because the vehicles are traveling at 120-140mph. Imagine how far you can travel in 2 seconds at 130. So if you use your logic, but keep the comparison consistent the shellacking is much greater than you'd imagine. If the bike is going 140 in 10 seconds and the car 120 in 12 seconds, how much longer is it gonna take the car to go from 120 to 140? I don't know, but it's quite a bit.

Paul, I never thought of it like that, but what I was saying is that from a rolling start,@60 MPH, They would accelerate in relatively even proportion. I see your example for the 1/4 mile, but I can not see what you mean for a rolling start. Ii would love to race a guy who can ride one of those bad boys from a roll and see for myself because I just cant picture it. I have never lost to a bike from a roll.... Off the line I have lost every time until about 120 MPH. Paolo

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John I was just kidding around I believe the tracks and the cars are what they say they are out west, but I can tell you I haven't heard about any on the east coast.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, I too was just kidding, other that the part about saying those fast cars really do exist out here.
You must be registered for see images

As our friend Jeff Ellison would say, Peace.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala