Very close to becoming a part of the Viper nation. Need forum input

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the forum is pretty small, I am sure you guys know my history so I will be to the point:
-Local dealer has finally said yes to a test drive of an SRT and a GTS :)
-I have 2 cars (one out state) and one local that I am debating on and here are my questions:
1-Is there any of you daily driving this car? This will be my DD. What are your thoughts? Coming from an MB sedan I am concerned I may regret my decision. My heart says yes :headbang: but my brain says *** :nono:. The straight line performance will basically be the same but as everyone knows the Viper is a true sports/exotic and the MB sedan is just a straight line hammer.
2-Has the issue of paint melting of the bumper due to heat of side pipes been fixed (watched a review online from a 2013)?
3-Will I feel the difference driving an SRT versus a GTS on the streets?
4-I like the GTS better but it appears that it cannot be easily lowered? Am I correct and what are the options and expected costs?
5-Has anyone wrapped their Viper? I plan to do this and was wondering if that is even feasible with how curvy the hood is.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned 4 vipers, but not a gen5, but have driven one, and sat in the Laguna equipped GTS ith the bells & whistles. Here's my 2 cents.

Since you're in FL, I'd think a DD is very possible. Hard to say if you'll be OK since you're coming from a super smooth ride in he MB - that's really tough to judge.

I prefer the SRT, but for a DD, I'd opt for the GTS, that's a lot of time in the cabin & coming from one of the nicest sedans out there, I'd think you'd feel it less if you got the GTS than the SRT.

For lowering, I'd call Mark J and talk about it, there are some pricey options, but he'd know them all, the pros and cons, and is a trusted honest source.

If I stick with my gen4, I'm looking at a wrap, I'm just tired of my black on black, every viper I've had, so found a place local & checking them out this weekend. Based on pics I've seen, it should be no problem, there are already wrapped gen5's out there.

The paint melting thing was from a mule/test car, I'm certain that's been mostly addressed, but you are in FL with serious heat, but it would be covered in a warranty if it did happen, so that's something.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 - get aftermarket cats, heat will go away.
5 - A really good installer could wrap Kim Kardashian's *****, so the hood should not be a problem. :moon:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just me, but my daily driver is an AMG sedan. Love me Gen5, but to compare the two, it would never be my daily driver. I have both and in general, will always take the AMG if the weather is iffy, if the trip is long or if going shopping, etc. Really, night and day as the AMG is so much more useful as a car where as the Gen5 is a fantastic toy. If I never had the AMG, I guess it would have been fine.

As for heat, it does not get that hot unless on a track. As for wrap, can be done but nobody can do the hood with one piece.

btw, don't get me wrong, I am way more excited to drive the Gen5 vs my AMG, but in practicality sense, no comparison. Your choice, go with passion or logic, but know it up front.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use mine as a dd as I have all my vipers. Not a problem in south Florida. I think that you will find the ride softer in the GTS and most likely coming out of an AMG would enjoy it more. Good luck.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DD both my Gen II and Gen III without an issue. Go for it - you'll love having your Viper as your DD.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DD my Gen V SRT - well as much as I can. I don't drive it in the rain (or try not to) simply because i hate having to do a deep wash on it. But, I have driven it in it and it is just fine in it.

Comfort? You get used to it. It isn't bad at all in reality. The hardest part is getting in and out.

I have a white car and I have a bit of "yellowing" which has been noted for warranty repair when I get around to it, if I don't get the car repainted all around anyway.

Wrapping without a stripe is difficult, because the widest sheets are 5' and the hood is about 6'x6' when you lay it out.

OP
OP
E

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. The one I am looking at have stripes so that could help with the wrapping.
05commemorative: this is exactly what I am concerned about. I don't have the means to have 2 cars. I was in love with the Viper when it came out and I bought the CLS but with previous American made cars, I swore I would never buy a first year model and I think $145K for a Viper is simply not acceptable. The deal on this 2014 however makes it palatable and maybe hard to pass on.
More feedback please :)

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars you are discussing are NOT substitutes. The Viper is awesome, but not really a comfortable daily driver. The door sill heat is really not and issue in Gen IV or V. The Gen V GTS should be the most comfortable, but the cockpit is small and the car's utility is limited. The CLS does not have such limitations. I have a BMW 550i M-Sport and it is the daily driver; the Viper is for fun time. Perhaps a Masarati or Jaguar XKR-S (?) would be a better combination choice? Also, the CLS and the Viper do not have comparable straight line or other performance. Good luck in your decision.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A DD is definitely doable, sure the M is more refined/comfy but all commutes on the GenV are fun. I think Bruce H is doing a couple weekend track days down south(from Canada). Not to speak for him but he made it known that he would be driving it to all the events instead of trailering it because he wanted to enjoy the experience to it's fullest.
If i was able to keep mine, I would definite use it as a DD.

OP
OP
E

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank for feedback. I know they are not substitutes. Let's not get on that path again. For the record, my last drag results were 11.5 at 126mph on street tires and 11.1 at 129mph on street drags with a simple tune.

The cars you are discussing are NOT substitutes. The Viper is awesome, but not really a comfortable daily driver. The door sill heat is really not and issue in Gen IV or V. The Gen V GTS should be the most comfortable, but the cockpit is small and the car's utility is limited. The CLS does not have such limitations. I have a BMW 550i M-Sport and it is the daily driver; the Viper is for fun time. Perhaps a Masarati or Jaguar XKR-S (?) would be a better combination choice? Also, the CLS and the Viper do not have comparable straight line or other performance. Good luck in your decision.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean it all depends what you need in a car.

Last year a two seater was fine. Now, just a Viper wouldn't work due to having an infant.

No child? Go for it. IMHO the car is very livable. In FL I think you'll be all right with the "attention" - if Naples is anything like Boca, a Viper won't stick out because half the other cars are Ferraris, Bentlys, and Rolls.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A DD is definitely doable, sure the M is more refined/comfy but all commutes on the GenV are fun. I think Bruce H is doing a couple weekend track days down south(from Canada). Not to speak for him but he made it known that he would be driving it to all the events instead of trailering it because he wanted to enjoy the experience to it's fullest.
If i was able to keep mine, I would definite use it as a DD.

You're right on. And I would have never believed this car could be a DD before driving mine. A prospective buyer whose sat in one and thought about it a little already knows that he or she will have the challenges of a lot of attention, rather awkward in and outs, limited visibility, can't park it anywhere, need to wash it maybe more simply because the car is too damn special to be seen in dirty, limited carrying/trunk capacity, etc. The only challenges I see are the low front splitters on an aero equipped car that wants to scrape frequently (you get used to reading the road everywhere but they will even scrape on some road dips that you simply can't avoid..but their wear strips work great), further reduced rearward visibilty with the aero rear spoiler (you get used to parking accordingly, backing in and also using the excellent rear camera), and heck, that's it. So just don't buy an Aero equipped SRT or GTS if that's an issue for you...or go for it on the SRT, GTS or TA of your dreams. If you're tall, and/or might want to ******** a helmet, check headroom and know that the TA's seats apparently give you a bit more. I'm an average 5'10" and have 4 fingers of space over my head in the TA. My son is 6'2" and pulls the seat forward enough to recline the seat back to give him headroom.

I've driven it just over 7 hrs straight so far, with just two really brief stops, and found it very comfortable. Somewhere over 70 mph the exhaust gets a little louder but so far it's turned out to be a non-issue even though I thought it might be at first. Comfortable ride in the TA in Street mode, and apparently slightly better than the SRT, and not as comfortable as the GTS according to one member. I think I'd have a hard time passing on a white TA if I lived in sunny Miami if the dealer would discount it $50 or more so I could say I got a deal, and would know I had just scored the buy of the century, but the lowest prices will be on the SRT and GTS's and I think they're screaming bargains at full pop as well.

I traded a Jaguar XKR for the TA, and it's only advantage was more ground clearance and carrying capacity. Elegant and classy to the max, and while it was many peoples dream car, it just wasn't enough to offset the lack of a truly engaging driving experience. So you definitely have to know what you want, and if an exotic supercar fits the bill then you'll probably embrace every challenging aspect of the car!

Bruce

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd suggest finding a TA. It has all the desirable performance parts, and the street mode electric shocks are softer than the SRT coil spring setup. The TA track mode setting is similar to the SRT. The GTS rides smoother, but I wouldn't be buying one unless it was at SRT base coupe pricing. I also like the GTS base leather with the alcantara inserts, better than the Laguna with diamond quilt leather inserts. The Laguna stuff is overpriced and looks wavy/saggy even when new.

If I were single, you could bet your A that I'd rock a Viper as a DD. I try and drive mine as much as possible, depending on the parking lot I plan on arriving at. Rain or shine, doesn't matter. If the car is already dirty, I'll still take it out when it is raining.

OP
OP
E

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after my test drive of a GTS and going over smooth and average roads, here's my analysis:

The Pros first: The overall quality versus the Gen 4 I had recently driven is clearly apparent. The inside is night and day and actually comparable to MB C class or Jaguar F Type. Very impressed. Some pieces of plastic and the non digital part of the dash reminds you this is a Dodge but no major gripes. The carbon fiber parts (standard and optional) are a great addition and makes it feel like a true exotic. The paint quality was also excellent, in par with imports and the stripes were extremely well finished. The gear actions felt smooth and the ability to hit 60 in first gear is a great plus. The seats are also top notch and rival the exotics, extremely supportive and comfortable enough, more adjustments would be welcome (especially lumbar). The quick shifter makes it much easier during spirited driving. The chassis felt very planted and an impressive improvement over the last gens. Obviously the power is abundant at any RPM and reminds me of the linear aspect of the 6.3 AMG engine in the SLS. You get a lot of attention in this car which I find it to be fun as well.

The bad: Visibility is an issue as others have mentioned on the forum. Not a surprise but thought it would be better. I also felt really confined in the car, the other gens I had driven were verts so I did not have that feeling and I am only 5.8. The Vette and the Jag are much better in that department. The long hood is one of the **** part of the snake but it makes driving it a real struggle because I felt there was 3 feet of it up front that I did not see, the SLS is better. Finally the exhaust note has not been improved and it still sounds like a truck, not on par with American, British or German V8s. I believe I could have lived with those items as they are small compromises but

now fort the Ugly: The clutch and the steering requires too much pressure to shift gears and turn the wheel and I simply don't understand why it has to be that way. The Vette or the Porsche's clutches and steering are butter smooth. After 5 minutes of driving, it was simply not fun and became a chore. Finally the ride in street mode is barely tolerable and the race mode is simply unbearable. You feel every bump of the road and it is being amplified with the stiffer chassis. As a daily driver, however I believe it simply is not feasible and more power to the guys that are doing it.

I had a phenomenal deal with an MB dealer in Texas who had taken a 2014 Black GTS with grey stripes and full interior and exterior carbon extras. It can be had for $97K for a 144K original retail. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to give you the info.

I am sad with my decision and still love the car for what it represents. For most of you, it is probably be heresy but I can only hope for a DCT and an improvement in the suspension.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the steering, clutch and suspension great for a car of this performance, but no car suits everybody. You were able to drive one and realize you're not suited to the car, and can now focus on finding a better fit. I drove a C7 and it would be a better fit in the areas you mentioned. Happy hunting!

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd get the F-Type R and call it a day. It looks and sounds better than the Gen V, interior is better as well. The ride is perfect for a DD.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after my test drive of a GTS and going over smooth and average roads, here's my analysis:

The Pros first: The overall quality versus the Gen 4 I had recently driven is clearly apparent. The inside is night and day and actually comparable to MB C class or Jaguar F Type. Very impressed. Some pieces of plastic and the non digital part of the dash reminds you this is a Dodge but no major gripes. The carbon fiber parts (standard and optional) are a great addition and makes it feel like a true exotic. The paint quality was also excellent, in par with imports and the stripes were extremely well finished. The gear actions felt smooth and the ability to hit 60 in first gear is a great plus. The seats are also top notch and rival the exotics, extremely supportive and comfortable enough, more adjustments would be welcome (especially lumbar). The quick shifter makes it much easier during spirited driving. The chassis felt very planted and an impressive improvement over the last gens. Obviously the power is abundant at any RPM and reminds me of the linear aspect of the 6.3 AMG engine in the SLS. You get a lot of attention in this car which I find it to be fun as well.

The bad: Visibility is an issue as others have mentioned on the forum. Not a surprise but thought it would be better. I also felt really confined in the car, the other gens I had driven were verts so I did not have that feeling and I am only 5.8. The Vette and the Jag are much better in that department. The long hood is one of the **** part of the snake but it makes driving it a real struggle because I felt there was 3 feet of it up front that I did not see, the SLS is better. Finally the exhaust note has not been improved and it still sounds like a truck, not on par with American, British or German V8s. I believe I could have lived with those items as they are small compromises but

now fort the Ugly: The clutch and the steering requires too much pressure to shift gears and turn the wheel and I simply don't understand why it has to be that way. The Vette or the Porsche's clutches and steering are butter smooth. After 5 minutes of driving, it was simply not fun and became a chore. Finally the ride in street mode is barely tolerable and the race mode is simply unbearable. You feel every bump of the road and it is being amplified with the stiffer chassis. As a daily driver, however I believe it simply is not feasible and more power to the guys that are doing it.

I had a phenomenal deal with an MB dealer in Texas who had taken a 2014 Black GTS with grey stripes and full interior and exterior carbon extras. It can be had for $97K for a 144K original retail. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to give you the info.

I am sad with my decision and still love the car for what it represents. For most of you, it is probably be heresy but I can only hope for a DCT and an improvement in the suspension.

Make sure you keep your skirt off the side exhaust when you exit the car after a long drive.

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the forum is pretty small, I am sure you guys know my history so I will be to the point:
-Local dealer has finally said yes to a test drive of an SRT and a GTS :)
-I have 2 cars (one out state) and one local that I am debating on and here are my questions:
1-Is there any of you daily driving this car? This will be my DD. What are your thoughts? Coming from an MB sedan I am concerned I may regret my decision. My heart says yes :headbang: but my brain says *** :nono:. The straight line performance will basically be the same but as everyone knows the Viper is a true sports/exotic and the MB sedan is just a straight line hammer.
2-Has the issue of paint melting of the bumper due to heat of side pipes been fixed (watched a review online from a 2013)?
3-Will I feel the difference driving an SRT versus a GTS on the streets?
4-I like the GTS better but it appears that it cannot be easily lowered? Am I correct and what are the options and expected costs?
5-Has anyone wrapped their Viper? I plan to do this and was wondering if that is even feasible with how curvy the hood is.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I love the viper, I have 2 gen V's. With that being said, there is NO WAY I would use it as a daily driver. It is a street legal race car. Very limited useful space, cockpit gets very warm by legs, quite non-compliant suspension etc..... With that being said the most street friendly is the GTS in street mode. I haven't had any paint melt from exhaust but it does get very hot and will burn you if not careful, and super heats the cabin floor. The Viper is a tremendous car for what it is intended (street legal track toy), but for me would make a terrible daily driver. For the record I am not even comparing this to a comfy sedan, I have several BMW M cars that I use for daily drivers. They have pretty firm suspensions, so just keep in mind my comparison is not between Viper and comfy luxury cruiser. I hope that helps.

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pretty much daily drive my Gen V. I did buy a Jeep to drive when the weather isn't great but I put a lot of miles on the Viper. It's true there are some compromises but the thrill of piloting this beast down the interstate is worth the trade offs any day of the week!

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im ju st replying to mention the fact that the feel of the clutch, steering and brakes/shifting is all perfectly weighted, providing excellent tactile feedback without excess NVH.

I have a GTS and it rides very well.

I have traversed 7 states and a variety of surfaces. Though quite stiff, the ride is never crashy, jarring or brutal. But make no mistake you are always participating in the drive.

The SRT is well rounded, the GTS is a nice GT feeling car; and the TA is a weekend toy/Track terror choose accordingly

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We must remember what he was comparing to as his current daily driver is a high quality and powerful sedan. I am super impressed that some of you can live with their viper as a daily driver. I could not as it is not enjoyable in traffic, cramped, no storage, rough ride, wide and poor visibility. Don't get me wrong, I love them so much, I have two, track them, etc but would never consider as a daily driver. Maybe if it was the first nice car I ever drove and had nothing else to compare with, but if driven a nice luxury sedan like an AMG as a daily driver, just no comparison for daily driving.

I also laugh when the GTS is referred to a GT car. maybe relative to the other vipers, (maybe but only because ride is slightly smoother and has nicer leather) but GT cars I think of as Aston Martins, Jag XKR, etc that are much smoother riding livable cars.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How one perceives the Gen V driving experience depends on what they have driven before the Gen V. My supercharged Gen III clutch effort was far harder. When I first got my TA, the clutch effort seemed too light for me. But I soon liked the lightness because it is less stressful on my knee.

I find the steering effort to be appropriate for the car and its mission. The steering is very precise and too little effort would not provide the right feel for me when doing spirited driving.

I do not sense any problem with cabin heat since the A/C has been dramatically improved and far more adjustable. My car is black and the A/C still cools it down quickly and keeps it cool in any road context on 90 plus degree days.

As for daily driving, I get bored pretty easily so I swap out my three performance vehicles with the Jeep getting the most use. I do not find being in traffic with the Viper to be any problem because the need to shift is more than offset by people smiling; high fiving; giving a thumbs up; rolling down their windows at stop lights to talk; and seeing children go nuts over the car and scream to their parents that a VIPER!!! is next to them.

I do not think I have seen any other car that evokes such a strong favorable response from so many people.

People, even in these disturbing times, are, for the most part, still very proud of America and the Viper is an automotive representation of the traditional American spirit . It is not delicate. It is not full of affectations. It does not cost 300K. It does not cost an arm and a leg to maintain. But, when called upon to perform its stated road course mission, it kicks butt. So do we.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also laugh when the GTS is referred to a GT car. maybe relative to the other vipers, (maybe but only because ride is slightly smoother and has nicer leather) but GT cars I think of as Aston Martins, Jag XKR, etc that are much smoother riding livable cars.[/QUOTE]

Everythings relative ;)

The GTS is still kind of a mouth breathing knuckle dragger compared to much of what you listed. But, compared to past and other current viper models its certainly nicer riding at least.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with the OP on much of what he said, I could not see myself DD'ing a GEN-V or any Viper for that matter, but that's because I've experienced the finer cars out there. If all a person ever knew was a Camaro, Mustang, or Corvette all their life, a Viper seems like a huge step up. But if you've driven high end Audi's, Porsche's, MB's, etc., the Viper is intolerable as a DD. I currently have a Crossfire as a DD, and though it's small, I have way more visibilty than a Viper, the clutch and steering is easier, it's quieter in the interior, and it's simply a better built car from MB. I have had two 30 min sessions of seat time behind the wheel of a GEN-V and to be honest, I couldn't wait to get out of it both times. It's an awesome car, but it's just not comfortable. My GEN2 is more comfortable, and my wife agrees - profusely agrees. Even the GEN1 seats were more comfortable than the GEN-V. I've recently driven the new Porsche 991, a C7, a McLaren MP4-12C (actually more comfortable than a Viper in traffic), and now own a GTR. There is no way I could DD a Viper now after having driven and owned some of the other options out there. 10 years ago, probably. If the Viper had a DCT then I think you'd see more of them being used as a DD. Even then, the GTS could never be called a GT car, it simply does not fit the description of a modern Grand Tourer.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of us have driven what you refer to as "the finer cars". The Lincoln Town Car, which was an incredible bargain when it was available, has a better highway ride than most, if not all of them and still does. ( Unfortunately, Ford stopped making it in 2011.) But, more importantly, many of us can't stand the sense environment provided by the "finer cars".

I have driven an SRT6 Crossfire on the street and for multiple laps at the Homestead road course. Sorry but there is no way it is built better than a 2014 Gen V Viper. Not a chance. Among other issues, the car had less than acceptable brakes for its mission niche.

The Gen V is not for everybody. It is for people who appreciate and require a particluar combination of sensory inputs. The Gen V is like the good friend that you would want next to you in a bar fight. You can trust it. You know it will not chicken out. It will get the job done.

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How one perceives the Gen V driving experience depends on what they have driven before the Gen V. My supercharged Gen III clutch effort was far harder. When I first got my TA, the clutch effort seemed too light for me. But I soon liked the lightness because it is less stressful on my knee.

I find the steering effort to be appropriate for the car and its mission. The steering is very precise and too little effort would not provide the right feel for me when doing spirited driving.

I do not sense any problem with cabin heat since the A/C has been dramatically improved and far more adjustable. My car is black and the A/C still cools it down quickly and keeps it cool in any road context on 90 plus degree days.

As for daily driving, I get bored pretty easily so I swap out my three performance vehicles with the Jeep getting the most use. I do not find being in traffic with the Viper to be any problem because the need to shift is more than offset by people smiling; high fiving; giving a thumbs up; rolling down their windows at stop lights to talk; and seeing children go nuts over the car and scream to their parents that a VIPER!!! is next to them.

I do not think I have seen any other car that evokes such a strong favorable response from so many people.

People, even in these disturbing times, are, for the most part, still very proud of America and the Viper is an automotive representation of the traditional American spirit . It is not delicate. It is not full of affectations. It does not cost 300K. It does not cost an arm and a leg to maintain. But, when called upon to perform its stated road course mission, it kicks butt. So do we.

I completely understand where you're coming from. However, for some people, the attention afforded by the Viper is unwanted, and can be a nuisance. You like being the center of attention, so you put up with the other issues that OP pointed out. For those who can't stand the attention, the other issues are a deal breaker when considering a Gen V for a daily driver.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It isn't about the driver being the center of attention. The car is getting the attention. I'm just its human occupant. People are not saying: "Did you see that human!". They are saying: "Did you see that Viper!". LOL. Giving up a little privacy is a small price to pay to give others a little joy and fun - especially these days when there is so much to be upset about. But I certainly understand an respect those who are sensitive to a car drawing too much attention. It can produce feelings a bit like those shown in the "You talkin to me" scene in Taxi Driver.