Video and picture how-to to re-sync throttle cables (gen 1)

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my 94 RT/10 a couple days ago, and I noticed that especially when in lower gears, any sort of play in the gas pedal I would feel a **** from the car. It was pretty embarrassing...I'd be cruising in third gear and it look like I was trying to learn to drive stick!

I was having my Dodge dealer inspect my car for emissions, and told them to take a look at the issue. In the meantime I spoke with Chuck Tator, and he told me I should re-sync the throttle cables. When I went to pick the car up, the dealership told me the TPS sensors were the issue, and it was going to be $110 for the part and 2.5 hours in labor ($350 total). Now I'm unsure of the TPS labor involved, but I would think it's pretty easy? From what I've seen on here, the part only costs about $50-$80 as well.

Anyways, I decided to try the throttle re-sync before changing the TPS, and low and behold the car now drives like it's brand new! Re-syncing takes only 30 seconds, and my Viper drives with a night and day difference. I followed the guide in the how-to section here:

http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/tsynch.html

I thought the instructions were a bit poor, so I made a picture that explains it all and did a little video. The video came out really dark, but between the two you should have no problems.

The picture doesn't have the last step, but the last step is to press the gas pedal all the way down until you hear two clicks.

You must be registered for see images

Video can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpLKyjBz5O4

Happy syncing!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad it was a simple fix and check them a couple times in the driving season.:2tu:

That Dealer is a real piece of work!!:evilmad: GENI TPS MSRP $73.20 and if it takes more then ten mins to change it, you are doing something wrong!:smirk: Let us know who this Dealer is so no one else will get burned!

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad it was a simple fix and check them a couple times in the driving season.:2tu:

That Dealer is a real piece of work!!:evilmad: GENI TPS MSRP $73.20 and if it takes more then ten mins to change it, you are doing something wrong!:smirk: Let us know who this Dealer is so no one else will get burned!
Ridiculous :mad:

Ourisman Dodge in Chantilly, VA

http://www.ourismandodge.com

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work on the vid and report ....I'm gonna do that tomorrow. I have the same jerky-ness, but didn't want to think about the work to fix it....suffered with it the whole year.
It looks so easy,,,I'm an idiot.

But BTW, did you go further and do the rest (ie. check for WOT)?
-Tom

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the illustrated how to guide, there is a section stating that the driver's side throttle plate needs to lead the passenger side plate. Did you verify this or find that this step was not necessary?