Video of 4/7 PBIR Run and 2009 Dyno Run

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a video of a run. This is the 5th run of six between 9:38 AM & 10:08 AM. Suspension was on road course settings (5/6 compression/bump). Weight transfer limited. Tire pressure too high. ( I forgot to lower it. ) I lost traction at the start and in the shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. With a cool engine;cooler cats; proper suspension settings and proper tire pressure, I think the car has a 10.8 or so in it. But this was just a one time experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNvVmMPfScQ

And here is a video of the dyno run from 2009. I did not realize there was a video of it until yesterday.

2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Paxton Supercharged Dyno - YouTube

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just post about this track in the Gen V section.

I was reading a thread on gtrlife and came across several posts about this track saying the left and right lane MPH are not the same. Someone also made this post.

Just for people that don't know how screwed up the PBIR lanes are these are my results from 4-7-2013:

Left Lane Drag strip trap 9 passes avg: 131.02 mph, VBOX 131.77 mph
Right Lane drag strip trap 3 passes avg: 126.63 mph, VBOX 131.24 mph

I see you ran in the right lane on that day.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I do not know much about the track. Maybe Brooks can comment on this. I had not heard the lane issue before. All of my runs except for two ( one where I had almost no traction all the way down the course and one aborted run) were made in the right lane. The six hotlapped runs referred to above were all in the right lane.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver mod needed. Seriously man get some seat time. Don't ************ down with an all motor, on street tires and pump gas making 100rwhp less and beat you by 2-3 car lengths.

If you need help let me know.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way that car is making 680rwhp. I've seen sub 600rwhp cars do 180mph in the standing mile.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Grenade. Thank you for your comments. Please take the time to read the background data regarding the runs. The car was not making 685 RWHP on any of the runs. The dyno result is posted for historical purposes only.

Perhaps you do not know what effect heat soak, suspension settings, and tire air pressure have on track results. If you do, and you read the posts here and on the other thread, you should understand the result.

As for the standing mile, you also do not seem to be aware of the stock fifth gear on a Gen III or IV Viper ( before 2010) and the effect of same - particularly on a supercharged application. The stock fifth gear ( before 2010) is an overdrive which causes a large drop in RPMs and takes the engine out of its sweet zone when the car is shifted out of 4th at 165 MPH. For a Paxtonized Gen III engine, this has a large impact on HP since the Paxton kicks in at about 3300 RPM. Since the 5th gear change out, the car is quite a bit faster.

Feel free to come down to Florida with your car. We like tourists. They spend money in the local economy. Take care and happy motoring.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back when my gen 2 was all motor it ran 180mph in the mile in FL. Your car with that SC isn't making any more power than a bolt-on gen 2. Bring that junker to the Viper event in Motgomery Nov 2nd and I will lay wood to it so bad I will have you begging a tuner to twin turbo it.

Deal. Nov 2nd, gives you lots of time to get that slow heap ready.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. But this thread has nothing to do with your car and your performance. Please start your own thread.

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice run/vid. What rpm are you launching at? Looks like you only need more seat time to get the 10.x.

I've ran a lot of 1/4 mile races (years) but this is my first Viper so it will be a new ball game for me. Glad to see someone enjoys the strip too!

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks. It was a one time drag strip outing for the Viper. It is not set up as a drag racing car. The launch RPM will depend on gearing, whether or not your supercharged, tires used, weather, track prep, etc. On 4/7, with a 3.07 diff ratio, pretty good track prep, 65% humidity and temperature running from 74 to 80 degrees during the time of the runs, the best 60 foot ( the one in the video) was accomplished with a launch at 1800 RPM slipping the clutch a bit. (The best drag set up would probably include a 3.55 diff.) I think a high ten could have occurred on April 7 under the following conditions:

1. Drop tire pressure to 26.
2. Reset Moton shocks from road course settings to allow maximum weight transfer to the rear.
3. Allow car to completely cool down before run.

The above would have maximized traction with far more available power. In general, the Paxtonized Vipers are more sensitive to heat soak than an NA car. This problem can be lessoned as shown by the Paxtonized Viper drift car that Hubinette ran a few years back. It also should be noted that when Road and Track tested the new 2006 SRT 10 coupe, it ran a 12.1 second quarter. So an 11.4 quarter with severe heat soak and less than perfect traction, is still quite an improvement considering the engine is stock except for the the Paxton kit and the custom calibration by Dan Cragin. Doug Levin was at the dyno run in 2009 and commented that I clearly lucked out from the factory and got a strong engine.

Last edited:

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looked like a pretty good clean run down the track. From sound, it looks like traction was decent and you didn't have to lift off the pedal due to wheel spin from second gear on. Like anything, practice improves every scenario, including drag racing. What tires are you running on your car? I understand your heat soak issue, I just traded an 02 GTS that was supercharged with a stock motor and making 545rwhp. At the drag strip I have done 11.4@123 on a hot day and down to a [email protected] on a cold day. That's a big gap from heat changes. Keep us posted if you run again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I did not lift on the 2nd to third shift and the 3rd to 4th shift because of wheel spin. I handled the wheel spin during those shifts by subtle steering corrections and just drove through it. I tried to shift quickly to avoid the RPM drop as much as possible. I was running brand new Nitto NT05R drag radials but unfortunately I did not reduce the air pressure to 26. It was 32 when I left the house and drove the 110 miles to the track. I initiated the hotlapping without a significant cool down. This was the fifth run of a six run hotlap series. I would guess that the tires were at least up to 38 pounds or so. I think that I lost at least a tenth on the launch for the traction loss. Although you cannot see it, there was a little wheel hop in addition to the tires breaking traction a bit. The traction loss on the 2nd to 3rd and the 3rd to 4th shifts can not be seen or heard on the video. I also should have changed my suspension settings from road course before I ran on the drag strip. Road course settings do not allow for proper weight transfer.

But, with the above said, this was the first time I have run this car on a drag strip so no doubt there are probably at least a couple more tenths available just based on more seat time if I choose to do it again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang