Video of an ACR at VIR

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice vids

so whats the story about the cars and drivers :drive: :drive: :eater:

i would expect the acr to put more distance btw the 2 of you in/out of the corners, all things being equal :dunno:

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks to me like the ACR driver is either learning the track, or learning how to drive in a track setting. either way, I would say the Z06 drive is better. And really, thats the most important factor :)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR driver is great in the straights, but still looks like is learning the corners.

I agree though. Should leave the vette a little better... ;)

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See the Z06 mods in his signature....Katech motor, Motons, and Stoptechs, sound like a nicely setup Z06.

-David

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See the Z06 mods in his signature....Katech motor, Motons, and Stoptechs, sound like a nicely setup Z06.

-David

I agree 100%. A stock C6 Z06 is a great car already. Take one thats well sorted out for the track with a built motor and im not sure how much faster people expect the ACR to be.

OP
OP
M

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really the point of posting the video is not to compare the two cars (I know it's hard not to) but to just show how the ACR gets around the track (which is pretty damn good!). Neither of us were beating up the cars too badly and both were driven at about the same pace. I would not have been there in a stock Z06. I've always thought that an ACR with headers, Hoosiers and tune would be about equal to my modified car. This particular ACR is a ******** with Hoosiers but no other mods. The aero benefit of the ACR somewhat offsets the 300 pound weight disadvantage to create 2 very equal cars. The beauty of the ACR is that you can now go out and buy a track ready vehicle right from the manufacturer and not have to do all the mods that I had to. I had to create a "Corvette ACR" but you know how that goes, you never get your money back. :beer:

OP
OP
M

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On a side note, at the 2:30 mark on the Part 2 video, that is Jack Baldwin (ex Trans-Am Champion) in a nicely prepared Porsche GT3. The man can drive and is a helluva nice guy. We've had a blast driving with him before at Sebring. :beer:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the straights, it looks like the ACR hits boost or something (I know its stock), is that the effect of the variable Cam (however you phase that new cam)?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my post! Very nice looking ACR by the way! Cool to see it handling the track! Really shocks me in the corners how it can just sharp shortcut the turns!:omg: It is like it is sticking to the track!

Thanks for posting the videos!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geeze Mike, with me you stay about six inches off my bumper but on the ACR you give him breathing room? You just like watching me spin out don't you? :)

Why didn't you have your ACR on the track?

You're right, VIR is a great track. Not enough walls for me but still lotsa fun.

OP
OP
M

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geeze Mike, with me you stay about six inches off my bumper but on the ACR you give him breathing room? You just like watching me spin out don't you? :)

Why didn't you have your ACR on the track?

You're right, VIR is a great track. Not enough walls for me but still lotsa fun.

Actually Chuck the camera shows the cars being much further apart than they really are. Also, I've run enough with you to be able to trust and anticipate what you're going to do. But yeah, I do love watching you spin out! :D

The walls are there if you look for them. I try not to. :omg: Each time I've been to this track there are a couple of cars leaving on a flatbed just like Sebring. The video doesn't do the elevation changes any justice and 120 mph or so through the upper esses with the villas right next to you can get a little hairy.

I guess I didn't track the ACR for a couple of reasons. First, the initial two days were a National Corvette Museum event (Corvettes only) and secondly I can't afford to simultaneously destroy two cars at the same time. I can only hold off for so long however. I'm sure I'll see you at a Safe Motorsports event in the ACR eventually. :beer:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cool video.

Does look like the Corvette driver knows the track better. The ACR driver appeared to miss a bunch of turn in points but still turned in aggressively.

..... and yes, an ACR with headers and a tune is even more of a beast.

Did notice that the ACR was a bit bouncy with the Hoosiers, just like mine.

Have ordered the Moton Motorsports along with stiffer springs and am anxious to install them and try them out.

Dan

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did notice that the ACR was a bit bouncy with the Hoosiers, just like mine.

Have ordered the Moton Motorsports along with stiffer springs and am anxious to install them and try them out.

Dan

I have the club sports with stiffer springs (850f/1250r) on my 08 SSG which has ACR aero running Hoosier R6s on Forgeline wheels. I have noticed the ride is much smoother than my 09 ACR with KW shocks. I am sure you will be happy with the Motorsports as they add even more adjustments and range.

-David

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note, at the 2:30 mark on the Part 2 video, that is Jack Baldwin (ex Trans-Am Champion) in a nicely prepared Porsche GT3. The man can drive and is a helluva nice guy. We've had a blast driving with him before at Sebring. :beer:
What kind of event was that and how does someone get on the list to join in on the fun?

OP
OP
M

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of event was that and how does someone get on the list to join in on the fun?

This was a Chin Motorsports event. Just go to chinmotorports.com and sign up for an event. They organize drivers by experience and put them in different run groups, initially with an instructor. However, I should warn you that once you try it you may never visit another drag strip again. :D Just kidding. You should give it a try given that you have one of the best road courses in the country in your backyard. :beer:

Spdrcrj25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chin is a good organization. They don't overcrowd the track like some NASA events. Great vids, thanks for posting. What color is your Z?

OP
OP
M

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chin is a good organization. They don't overcrowd the track like some NASA events. Great vids, thanks for posting. What color is your Z?

Chin is great. They also have a pass anywhere policy in the advanced group which prevents a train of cars from developing. It seems to take forever waiting for a straight to pass on. Passing in the turns also gets you used to driving offline.

The Z is black/black.

OP
OP
M

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. :2tu: What was the temp and what times did you guys run?

It was nice in the mornings but got brutal in the afternoons. We were running in the 2:04 to 2:07 range with some traffic. You could never know when you were going to get a clean lap so none of these laps were run as "qualifying" type laps.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a Chin Motorsports event. Just go to chinmotorports.com and sign up for an event. They organize drivers by experience and put them in different run groups, initially with an instructor. However, I should warn you that once you try it you may never visit another drag strip again. :D Just kidding. You should give it a try given that you have one of the best road courses in the country in your backyard. :beer:
I actually have went to advanced RR schooll at Bob Bondurant last year and did pretty good and got my scca license but I haven't been able to find any time or anyone to go get some track time so I am looking forward to doing some of these events. Drag racing is fun but nothing like a road course imo as I have done a few friday at the tracks at summit pointe wv and they were a lot of fun, way more track time than a dragstrip!