Vinyl Stripes...Wax...Longevity...Color Matching

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm finding out that there are some considerations with doing vinyl stripes.. Maybe some of you guys that have researched this want to weigh in here...

Seems like the vinyl manufacturers reccommend that you don't get wax on the stripes... so you have to wax around them ? Is there a wax designed to be vinyl safe ?

Also seems that all but the basic black, white and silver stripes are not reccommended for horizontal applications due to UV rays and heat... Is any one brand of vinyl better or more durable ?

Has anyone found the vinyl that matches or is close to the GTS Blue used on the original 98-99 Silver/Blue cars ?

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did them last year and have waxed them being careful not to get the wax along the edges.They look great !

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my '99 red RT/10 vert was used in a Jack-in-the-Box (fast-food mexican/hamburger chain) in 2003, they put white vinyl stripes on the car. They were going to take them off as part of the arrangement for using the car, but they looked so good I left them on (despite some ribbing from SoCal members about being a "fake Final Edition"). I have waxed over them numerous times and they still look great.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I put vinyl GTS White stripes on my 1992 Blue Stealth, and the wide ones are FINE after 13 years. I do wax them..... past FLAT BLACK stripes will NOT handle wax, unless its a water-soluable types.

PartsRack has just completed a buy-in of some high-quality. multi-year guarantee VIPER stripes. We have all Viper-Mopar colors, skunk stripes, Tapered, Drivers Stripes, even Snake Skin. All pre-cut pieces to even to fit the fascia, hood louvres, and ACR-wings. We did this to get an orange drivers stripe for my ACR

I have 3 "Driver" sets being muled up now...under $300 And if you bugger an individual piece, we can provide that piece for repair / replace. Too soon for pix.....
`ACR_

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have flat black vinyl stripes. I do not wax them but I spray Meguiars detailer spray on them and it works great. No swirls and they maintain the "flat" look.

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no worries, just don’t go overboard with the wax / buffer.. use a detail spray ( I use PoorBoys) to clean them up.. have had mine for 7+ years and they still look great.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put vinyl GTS White stripes on my 1992 Blue Stealth, and the wide ones are FINE after 13 years. I do wax them..... past FLAT BLACK stripes will NOT handle wax, unless its a water-soluable types.

PartsRack has just completed a buy-in of some high-quality. multi-year guarantee VIPER stripes. We have all Viper-Mopar colors, skunk stripes, Tapered, Drivers Stripes, even Snake Skin. All pre-cut pieces to even to fit the fascia, hood louvres, and ACR-wings. We did this to get an orange drivers stripe for my ACR

I have 3 "Driver" sets being muled up now...under $300 And if you bugger an individual piece, we can provide that piece for repair / replace. Too soon for pix.....
`ACR_
will you have the blue sabre stripes for the 96 rt/10?:dunno:

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I used metallic graphite stripes on my '98 silver GTS and waxed them just like the rest of the car. I just made sure to not let the wax build up too deep along the edges. I couldn't find a good match for the factory blue stripes, so went with graphite........and I love it! The brand of vinyl is "Avery", which I got from a local vinyl/stripe shop.

web1.jpg

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

`ACR_

Jon B do you have a drivers stripe in graphite

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question that paint looks better but to do it right technically I would have to respray the entire car as a different number of coats of the clear can actually make the panels mismatch... I figure if I paint stripes without clearcoating, I'll still have an edge and the only real difference is that the paint can't be easily reversed. If I had $100k or even $50k into this car or if I was planning on showing it, then I would do paint... This car is just a weekend driver for me and from what I can see of the cars that do have vinyl, it's probably the way to go for me...

I agree do it right, paint them.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, first vinyl them to make sure you like a striped car.....then paint if you do.

Agreed. Although I've seen vinyl stripes installed that look as good as paint (not mine). Will probably get mine painted on at some point but for now I'm saving my money for horsepower upgrades. :D

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your vinyl is done correctly it will look great.

I had a body shop manager tell me that my vinyl stripes were the best looking stripes he's EVER seen on a car. They just need to be done right. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang