Vinyl wrapping your SRT?

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after looking for a new project to get myself into (Been working on the Evo lately) I have decided that I want to change the color of my viper from silver to bright orange. I dont want to do anything permanent so that only left 2 options. Vinyl, which I see tons of exotics wrapped in. The other method is plasti dipping, and I find it hard to believe that that stuff looks good, let alone long term paint effect, overspray, etc.
Anyway, I ordered some orange 3m 1080 vinyl and am going to give it a shot this weekend. Has anyone wrapped before? I have installed a full clear 3m paint protector on my car in the past. I just am curious if Im taking on a hell of a challenge lol

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey cujo. I have done both...sort of. I have done my porsche cayenne rims and trim in plasti dip and love it. I started on vinyl for my viper but its a handful, and pulled out before I screwed things up too badly. There is an art to it, to get a clean wrinkle free result. I suggest watching it first then give it a go. I went down to my local auto detail shop and complete the wrap was $2000. Im gonna go that way i think. Just so u know, its damage free for 2 years in the sun, after that they suggest removal or it may damage your paint.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you look at dipyourcar.com ?

There is a tutorial that shows how to do an entire car.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey cujo. I have done both...sort of. I have done my porsche cayenne rims and trim in plasti dip and love it. I started on vinyl for my viper but its a handful, and pulled out before I screwed things up too badly. There is an art to it, to get a clean wrinkle free result. I suggest watching it first then give it a go. I went down to my local auto detail shop and complete the wrap was $2000. Im gonna go that way i think. Just so u know, its damage free for 2 years in the sun, after that they suggest removal or it may damage your paint.

I just did my white evolutions wheels in white. i was amazed on how well it came out. I am just curious to see how body panels look with it on them/ how hard it is to paint a car using the spray gun plasti dip and not the aerosol type. Yea I figured there is a serious art to laying down vinyl especially with the crazy ducts/ front crosshair on the viper.

Did you look at dipyourcar.com ?

There is a tutorial that shows how to do an entire car.

I saw that guy do his audi in flat black. I really thought I was going to get flamed for thinking about doing that to a viper. Im just curious how it looks with the glossifier over it to see how it looks compared to a paint job. Im not expecting flawless orange peel free paint, but changing the color of your car and then when I want to sell it, i can just take it off is pretty appealing.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that there was GEN II that was up for sale in the club classifieds that had this done.

I believe it was a yellow viper that had the flat black dip. I thought the car looked good.

I would like to add the usual comments about yellow cars being slow but won't :rolaugh:

I can certainly see a number of challenges in spraying the dip on the car but it probably is just a matter of patience.

I was considering it only since I was looking for an inexpensive was protect the car from track abuse. (My car is a GEN II)

I would think that using the dip concept would be a inexpensive way to make a black center band on a GEN III or GEN IV. I might try it on my daughters RX-8.

F

FrgMstr

Met these guys at the Texas Mile. Clear Choice wrapped the "carbon fiber" Viper for ART. Looks really nice. All the lines actually flow.

http://clearchoicewraps.com/

You must be registered for see images

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks alot like the carbon fiber DI-NOC. I think there was a thread about that on here around Christmas.