Viper ACR selected production king of the 'Ring

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great post --------------so still the fastest production car , absolutely verified! Ahh, and we all wonder what a 2010 with the new wing and gears would do, but no worries, it still has the only established record.:drive:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish they would go back with a 2010 and spend a full day of testing!!! They did what, a halfday, 4/5 times around the ring and took the record. With the better 5/6 gears and areo of the 2010, I bet they could get deep into the teens if not faster.

How many days did Chevy spend there 4?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool that the ACR gets the props it deserves :2tu:

Too bad a company like Michelin doesn't get on the ball and sponsor a "King of the Ring" competition where they rent the Ring for 4 or 5 days and invite supercars from around the world to give it a go.

-All of the cars would have to run Michelin tires to compete, I would say go with the Sport Cups.

-All cars have to be both USA and Euro street legal from the manufacturer.

-To compete, there must be at least 100, 200 (or whatever production number is agreed upon) or more vehicles produced per year (to make it a realistic car that can be purchased, not some one off racecar)

The King of the Ring event would make one hell of a DVD or automotive documentary. I can't see how Michelin (or any other tire sponsor of the event) wouldn't get positive media from this for years to come.

Cheers,
George

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive known this all along and the above article is how ive been telling the story. The grumpetappolo,radical,zonda,dunkwewhat are far from production cars. Some of them look like freakin daytona prototypes. Only a handfull are made and not street legal in some countries. I do give props to the 911gt2rs as it is surely a top contender in the production car trackking category but will not acknowledge its ring time untill someonelse besides porsche does.

Good find sun diego:2tu:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that guy has never driven a Gen II ! My 08 ACR is a Cadillac compared to my Gen II
Coupe!

Amen brutha, compared to my Gen 2 the '08 ACR is a cadillac and faster then sh*t, my modifed track prepped Gen 2 wasn't even close to the times of a "stock" '08 ACR and the ACR is so much more comfortable, it has a deadpedal :headbang:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The purpose of a dead pedal is to directly link the driver to the chassis, as opposed to providing a comfortable place to place your foot.

A proper dead pedal will be made of metal, with no padding, and solidly mounted to the chassis with no insulation.

When the car is braking, or cornering it supplies the driver valuable information about the track surface, and how the tires and suspension are reacting to the track surface.

This is also the reason that most driving shoes have thin soles, to aid in the tactile experience.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very happy to see the Viper is still the fastest...BUT I also see the Donkervoort which obviuously is a production car is faster ;)
It's mainly handbuilt, just like the ACR, by a small team of enthusiast people.

It's Dutch so you guys may not now it, but it is! Not exactly mass produced, but so isn't the ACR, I'm afraid this is written by an American who worked his way through the list untill he reached the Viper....

Either way I don't care who's fastest, I am Dutch and own a Viper :)

OP
OP
S

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The purpose of a dead pedal is to directly link the driver to the chassis, as opposed to providing a comfortable place to place your foot.

A proper dead pedal will be made of metal, with no padding, and solidly mounted to the chassis with no insulation.

When the car is braking, or cornering it supplies the driver valuable information about the track surface, and how the tires and suspension are reacting to the track surface.

This is also the reason that most driving shoes have thin soles, to aid in the tactile experience.

And so what's your excuse for not being at Chuckwalla on the weekend with NARRA?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very happy to see the Viper is still the fastest...BUT I also see the Donkervoort which obviuously is a production car is faster ;)
It's mainly handbuilt, just like the ACR, by a small team of enthusiast people.

It's Dutch so you guys may not now it, but it is! Not exactly mass produced, but so isn't the ACR, I'm afraid this is written by an American who worked his way through the list untill he reached the Viper....

Either way I don't care who's fastest, I am Dutch and own a Viper :)

OK Roy, Lets talk about the Donkervoort D8 270 RS:
The following is some info that I have retrieved from the net. Please add to or correct any of it if you have any further knowledge.

“In November 2004 Donkervoort shocked the motoring world, when a specially prepared version of the D8 set a new record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, considered by many as the benchmark track for a performance car. The old record set by a Porsche Carrera GT was beaten by 15 seconds. The car used was equipped with a 350 bhp version of the Audi engine and a hard top for better aerodynamics. To make the record count, Donkervoort offered the D8-270 RS, which was closely related to the record car. The production run of this stunningly quick road car is limited to 25 examples.”source - 2006 Donkervoort D8 270 RS - Top Speed

So one might ask: what exactly does “Closely Related” mean? Well from what i have read the 25 produced D8-270RS’s had only 270hp as compared to the Purpose Built Pre-Production Prototype D8-270 RS that had 350hp. Next, on to the body: Comparing Prototype that ran around the ring to what you could buy as a production model. I’ll let the pictures speek for themselves…

Take a guess which is which?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Even if these 25 Donkervoort’s were built exactly to spec as the Prototype Ring Runner I would still not consider them a production car. To me a production car has to be produced above some quantity AND available to purchase by me. Even If I had the cash to drop on one of these I would be denied as you more or less have to be invited to purchase one. Anyone can make a one off crazy fast car and produce a few of them for the super privileged. That to me is Not a production car.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm afraid this is written by an American who worked his way through the list until he reached the Viper....

Looks like that American knew his stuff since he worked his way past the ONE OFF PRE-PRODUCTION car he knew had no bearing on the fastest PRODUCTION car record.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'll admit to some curiosity about why the heck someone would name a car a Donkervoort, in any language.

And after seeing those pics... makes perfect sense.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Roy, Lets talk about the Donkervoort D8 270 RS:
The following is some info that I have retrieved from the net. Please add to or correct any of it if you have any further knowledge.

“In November 2004 Donkervoort shocked the motoring world, when a specially prepared version of the D8 set a new record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, considered by many as the benchmark track for a performance car. The old record set by a Porsche Carrera GT was beaten by 15 seconds. The car used was equipped with a 350 bhp version of the Audi engine and a hard top for better aerodynamics. To make the record count, Donkervoort offered the D8-270 RS, which was closely related to the record car. The production run of this stunningly quick road car is limited to 25 examples.”source - 2006 Donkervoort D8 270 RS - Top Speed

So one might ask: what exactly does “Closely Related” mean? Well from what i have read the 25 produced D8-270RS’s had only 270hp as compared to the Purpose Built Pre-Production Prototype D8-270 RS that had 350hp. Next, on to the body: Comparing Prototype that ran around the ring to what you could buy as a production model. I’ll let the pictures speek for themselves…

Take a guess which is which?

Even if these 25 Donkervoort’s were built exactly to spec as the Prototype Ring Runner I would still not consider them a production car. To me a production car has to be produced above some quantity AND available to purchase by me. Even If I had the cash to drop on one of these I would be denied as you more or less have to be invited to purchase one. Anyone can make a one off crazy fast car and produce a few of them for the super privileged. That to me is Not a production car.

Obviously you are right at some points...But there are some points which also count.
The Donkervoort D270 has become a regular productioncar after the 25 specials, due to it's succes, so send them some money and they'll send you a superfast car. I think production numbers are at least as high or higher as for the ACR.

Than the Donkervoort had an added spoiler during the lap and also a hardtop, which you can also put on the production car. It ran regular tires, not slicks or semi slicks like the ACR does (correct me if I'm wrong)

It had a splitter at the front and the boost was a bit to reach some more horses.
As everybody knows you can easily adjust the boost on these Audi engines, the lap was with original engine and turbo.
The reason the production model was a bit different is because this car is a fast cruisin vehicle, not a track purpose built car like the ACR. With the boost higher it would be to nervous and the spoilers would be just ugly.

So I agree the car wasn't "showroom" during the lap, it is actually an DCR version :headbang: (Dutch Club Racing) of the normal car.:rolaugh: Just as the ACR is a trackday special of the original version. So the comparison is fair. the ACR also has spoilers, splitters and stuff the normal streetversion doesn't have.

This is what I mean by working your way through the list untill you find a suitable outcome.:lmao:

So in short, you guys are right and I wanted to highlight this beautifull well built Dutch sportscar! you guys should like it, it's hadbuilt by a small dedicated team of petrolheads. And believe me on this one, the handling is like no other car, just like it's accelaration. But I have a Viper because it much more raw and as they say there is now substitute for cubic inches:2tu:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'll admit to some curiosity about why the heck someone would name a car a Donkervoort, in any language.

And after seeing those pics... makes perfect sense.

Because it's the last name of the creator...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well built it may be Roy, but I don't think "beautiful" describes it very accurately.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you more or less have to be invited to purchase one.

Dodge should do the same thing. Maybe it would cut down on the whiners, posers and wannabees.

Donkervoort D8 - A Lotus-Inspired Classic with 1.8T
the only audio entertainment comes courtesy of the side-mounted exhaust pipe.

it’s not stuffed with the latest electronica,

Steering is direct and unassisted, with 3.4 turns lock to lock on the small wheel.

Brakes are unassisted discs at both the front and the rear. ABS is not offered, likewise for ESP and ASR. As Donkervoort states, “the driver is in control.”

OMG!!! How do they stay in business without the nannies?!!!

And look at this steering wheel. No stupid balloon staring the driver in the face.
Donkervoort.jpg

I remember when Dodge built a car like that. In fact, I own two of them.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
apart from the radio and the (not needed on a lightweight) steering assist, it really sounds like my RT/10, no nannies, side pipes, driver is in control!

And I like the looks of it best after my Viper, maybe that's because I know these cars for a long time now. Good chances I'm buying one of these, they really drive like heaven on earth and with little work you can push about 400 horses on this lightweight car, that's seriously fast! It ways about half the weight of my 92 Viper...

onemile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR is mighty fast on track, but it's not street legal in Germany (no type approval) and many other EU countries. So its similar to Radical which is legal only in some countries and not like GT2 or GTR which are certified for street use everywhere. Dale who made the list, probably just didn't know about this.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two things always bug me about that vid. One shift into the wrong gear and the constant pounding on the rev limiter. Everyone of us knows that with the amount of torque we have there are gains to be made shifting up and down rather than bouncing along on the limiter. What could have been......... GTS Bruce

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper will still be king of the ring of production cars in 5 years. The Gen 5 ACR is going to be a real mean SOB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4