Viper as a gift for the wife.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has any one surprised their wife with a Viper? If so how does she like it? I am contemplating getting a 2004 convertible for my wife. She loves my ACR, but the power/torque of the car is my only concern. She can handle a manual, but hasn't driven a lot of cars with the same power as the Viper. She saw a convertible recently and commented on it. Not sure if I should get it (for her 45th birthday) or go with something like a Miata (eewww).

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want to claim an insurance policy on her? If so, go ahead and buy her the Viper.

All jokes aside, it might be a bit too much if she's not used to torque... IMHO. ;)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once bought my ex-wife a bass boat and that may be one of the reasons we are no longer married.:(

...and I'm like.. but honey you can tan while I'm fishing... no sale:dunno:

OP
OP
S

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you want to claim an insurance policy on her? If so, go ahead and buy her the Viper.

All jokes aside, it might be a bit too much if she's not used to torque... IMHO. ;)

That is my worry, also. But, it would give me another toy to play with at times.:smirk:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it. How can she learn to handle it if she never gets the chance? Send her to the performance driving classes as well if your worried about her.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dd get my wife a yellow RT-10. She does not use if very often. I think a gen 3 would be better with a top one person can put on.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife loves hers and wouldn't own anything else now. She dogs it so the power is never an issue, but she really love the attention of a girl driving the badass Viper and not a Vette, Lexus or MB.

So it depends on your wife's personality.

OP
OP
S

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife loves hers and wouldn't own anything else now. She dogs it so the power is never an issue, but she really love the attention of a girl driving the badass Viper and not a Vette, Lexus or MB.

So it depends on your wife's personality.

She does get a kick out of the attnetion we get in my ACR.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a hard question to answer not knowing your wife. One of the guys in the club bought his wife her second viper as a surprise. She was very happy with it. We have quite a few female club members that enjoy the Vipers as much as their husbands.

My wife won't even touch my GTS. She has driven it, but the car scares her too much for her to be able to enjoy.
On the other hand, she really enjoys driving my Miata, even though the car is more track ready then street prepped.

Sign her up for one of the SRT Driving Events and see how she does and go from there!

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew a guy who got his wife an 04 as a daily driver. She liked it at first, but he soon had to buy her something else as she got tired of driving a manual in daily traffic. She ended up in a BMW convertible within about two months.

I would never buy my wife a car as a surprise unless she specifically had told me it was something she wanted. Riding in a car and that gets attention is totally different than driving one daily. My wife used to love to take my 65 GTO 4 speed out by herself. She loves to ride in the Viper, but never expresses an interest in driving one (I have two). She did the SRT Experience with me and did fine in the Viper on the track at Birmingham, but would have no desire to have one as a daily driver. She is free to drive either one in the garage at any time, and prefers her Mercedes. She has had three Mercedes convertibles and two Miatas before that - all automatics. If she expresses no interest in driving your ACR, she probably would be the same with another Viper.

Mercedes SL's or SLK's make great weather tight convertibles that women love (the retractable hard tops). They are also one of the few retractable hardtops that look great with the top up or down.

Last edited:

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my wife a Prowler back in 02, She loves the car, More woman friendly and don't have to worry about her losing it and the looks she gets are about the same as a Viper.

OP
OP
S

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. A lot of good advice. It is hard to say with out knowing my wife. Hell, I have known her for 30 years and am not sure about it. The driving school sounds like a good way to start. If she is interested in that and has a good time I might be on to something.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. A lot of good advice. It is hard to say with out knowing my wife. Hell, I have known her for 30 years and am not sure about it. The driving school sounds like a good way to start. If she is interested in that and has a good time I might be on to something.

hey saw you are from Ohio.

If she ever wants to drive at the track, she can sign up for one of the groups I run with and request me as her instructor. Sometimes the women prefer a female instructor.

We also do what's called 'taste of the track'...for $25 you get to ride with 2 instructors and see what it's like to go at speed, and sit in on the classroom sessions. No registration required, just show up.

I will be at Mid OH this weekend (Oct 2-3) with the PCA if you guys want to check it out.

~Leslie

OP
OP
S

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey saw you are from Ohio.

If she ever wants to drive at the track, she can sign up for one of the groups I run with and request me as her instructor. Sometimes the women prefer a female instructor.

We also do what's called 'taste of the track'...for $25 you get to ride with 2 instructors and see what it's like to go at speed, and sit in on the classroom sessions. No registration required, just show up.

I will be at Mid OH this weekend (Oct 2-3) with the PCA if you guys want to check it out.

~Leslie
Thanks, Leslie. Unfortunately, I have to work this weekend. I will keep you in mind, though.

Scott

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Leslie's got the right idea. Maybe you could get your wife to the track with one of your/her friends? I would thin that after a day, she'd let you know in no uncertain terms exactly how much she liked it. And Leslie showing her the ropes would probably show how "the elite females" do as well.

Maybe a few days Bondurrant or Richard Petty driving school?

Ted

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go for it... But an 04 SRT is no slouch..... It will bite... Make sure she understands the car, and how it operates. The throttle should be NO MORE than 50% down, during at least the first 6-12 mo. of ownership. And the rear ends of these cars, are as light as a pickup truck.. Those wide tires do little. the car WILL slide out,, EASY. no throttle on turns... blah,blah,blah.. you have an ACR.. you know the deal..

Go get it.. !!!! :)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Surprised at the forexx4's comment on the car , as it sounds just a bit on the sexist side, and since the World's Largest Viper Collection is owned by a woman, there are a few out there that might take exception to the comment. Frankly there are some very fast women out there the seem to handle the torque just fine, and ask any guy who was beaten by two time Viper Days Champion Nancy Stein and they will tell you she would only get torqued off if you didn't take her driving seriously.

Fast women in Vipers..................................just to name a few;

1. Cheryl McNally
2. Janni Cone
3. Leslie in Indiana
4. Nancy Stein
5.Leslie Howard
6.D'Ann Rauh
7. Cindi Lux - Global Women's GT Champion, NW Pacific Region T1 Champion so many times we have all lost count. World Challenge Driver , racing instructor , one of the damn fastest SnakeCharmers in the US, etc.!!!

Feel free to jump in there with other fast females, as there are plenty more.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would she be using it as a daily driver??? I would say no if so, even if i dont know your wife:)
I would never care to drive mine as a daily....

I bought my wife a M3 convertible about a couple months ago,,,,,,thought she would love it......well she thinks it too nice for her:rolaugh: and says maybe we should get rid of it and buy something that is not so "Oh look at me" ..lmao!
About a week after owning it, I noticed her driving the SUV on 80 degree days and leaving the m3 in the garage....lol so I may sell it

OP
OP
S

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would she be using it as a daily driver??? I would say no if so, even if i dont know your wife:)
I would never care to drive mine as a daily....

I bought my wife a M3 convertible about a couple months ago,,,,,,thought she would love it......well she thinks it too nice for her:rolaugh: and says maybe we should get rid of it and buy something that is not so "Oh look at me" ..lmao!
About a week after owning it, I noticed her driving the SUV on 80 degree days and leaving the m3 in the garage....lol so I may sell it

No, it would be a "fun" car for her. I have also thought about an M3 convertible, but I have driven one and it really did nothing for me. I have owned a number of BMW's, but wanted to move in a different direction.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or you can give the acr to her and you can get a superformance GT40!!!!! whoooooooooooohooooooooooo

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at an SL or SLK AMG product..My wife has an SLK version and the power is very suprising while the car itself is simply a pleasure to drive. Plus, you only have to push/pull a button for the top to open or close on its own.

OP
OP
S

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look at an SL or SLK AMG product..My wife has an SLK version and the power is very suprising while the car itself is simply a pleasure to drive. Plus, you only have to push/pull a button for the top to open or close on its own.

Have also owned a couple of MB's. Not crazy about the interiors (neither is my wife). She also likes a manual and MB's just don't cut it (or make one) in that department.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have also owned a couple of MB's. Not crazy about the interiors (neither is my wife). She also likes a manual and MB's just don't cut it (or make one) in that department.

Okay...a complete shot in the dark here, how about a Lotus? Kind of neat, fun, raw little car. Exige S 240 is a pretty sweet little ride!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife doesn't even know what a viper is...if it were me I wouldn't buy my wife a viper because in a bad situation you have to know how to handle the car and I know my wife would make things worse for herself with all that torque...I wouldn't mind buying her a Maserati convertibles, those are nice...