Viper commercial! Well, kinda...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It always amuses me that hundreds (if not thousands) of entities use the Dodge Viper to help sell their products - well, except the manufacturer. Drove over to the Missouri side today to buy some lottery tickets - with the intention of losing so that I could send them in for a second chance drawing for one of three 2008 Dodge Vipers. Turns out that they were sold out and have been selling those tickets like crazy thanks to ads like this one:

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/muscle_up_tv.wmv[/media]​

This is one of a few "Viper" commercials that are airing right now throughout Missouri and bordering states (and there are some that are REALLY funny). There are so many examples of the Viper appearing in ads, TV shows, video games,etc., that it is impossible to count. Check out the videos on Autoline Detroit and you will note that EVERY introduction includes a blue/white Viper in the background. No Chevy's or Fords, no mass-produced people movers - a Dodge Viper.

I adore the folks at Chrysler and really think they have a good grasp of what it takes to sell cars and make a profit. I only wonder why is it that everybody else understands the marketing power of the Viper yet there seems to be some doubt in Detroit?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercials for Vipers are nice for us to watch... But from a business perspective, are a complete waste of money.. Just like vette commercials. When's the last time youve seen one? years ago.. They are just are not needed to sell the product..

Although, it would hurt for Dodge to have one every few years, to keep the "hype" going.. I think the last pure, Viper only commercial was 1999...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I guess they just dont understand that " HALF OF ALL ADVERTISING.................."

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
......... Drove over to the Missouri side today to buy some lottery tickets - with the intention of losing so that I could send them in for a second chance drawing for one of three 2008 Dodge Vipers.................

So lemme see....... our VCA Treasurer is crossing State lines out buying LOTTERY TICKETS! And if that ain't bad enuf, he is then entering his losses into chances to win 3 Dodge Vipers in a RAFFLE, at $1 / ticket.

All the while he is hawking and hyping $125 VCA lottery tickets for Vipers to us, whilst he's out buying them for $1. Somebody's treasury should be FAT !

{All the while he's been saying he is not allowed to buy $125 tickets, and Ive felt sooooo sorry for him! Now I find he's got $1 tickets available in unlimited numbers!} :lmao:

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look at the commercial from 1999. now tell me which car is now being sold by that song

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drooler: DROOOOLY JUUUUULI here!!!! :lmao:...red *pops* more on commercials...think that's why they preferred that one, it looks AWESOME in that video...love it!!! ~Drooly Juli :cool:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If they would simply call it "Dodge Viper Lap Dance" it would convey the storyline better, and get a LOT more hits!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercials for Vipers are nice for us to watch... But from a business perspective, are a complete waste of money.. Just like vette commercials. When's the last time youve seen one? years ago.. They are just are not needed to sell the product..
Ah, but that isn't the point: I agree 110% that stand-alone ads for the Viper make no sense when the car is produced in such small volumes - and is selling so well. However they have a LOT of other products that aren't doing as well because they simply aren't that exciting. Look at all the manufacturers that market their everyday people-movers by referencing the "DNA" of race cars, fighter jets, etc. And of course then there is NASCAR - where they dump millions upon millions of dollars and honestly think they sell more Camrys, Chargers and - whatever the heck the Chevys and Fords are these days. Hard to tell, as they all look almost exactly the same anyway.

The point is that Chrysler doesn't need to reference the DNA of fighter jets or cars that can't be bought by the public. They have a genuine legend that they are building today: The Dodge Viper. So while waxes, telephone companies, news TV shows, stereo shops, and yes, even state lotteries, use the Viper to sell products - the manufacturer does not.

But it wasn't always that way...
[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/viperspincommercial_1_.mov[/media]​
{All the while he's been saying he is not allowed to buy $125 tickets, and Ive felt sooooo sorry for him! Now I find he's got $1 tickets available in unlimited numbers!} :lmao:

Too funny! Unfortunately you have to buy $10 worth of losing tickets to get entered to win one Viper. And with hundreds of thousands of people entering each of the three lottery drawings, I would happily take the odds on a VCA raffle - if I could. Especially this next one... :D

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2k, very true, good point.. The recent commercial that "features" the Challenger comes to mind..Do they really need help selling that product?? Of course they dont, they cant make them fast enough..

However, they fit it in a commercial with several other vehicles, to market "Dodge" as a whole. Which was a great idea... Why not throw an SSG, or ACR in the commercial as well?? Only Dodge can answer that..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi