Viper Comp Coupe - 11.2 @ 130 woah

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hope it aint a repost....Just got the C & D issue and notice waaaaaaaaaaay in the back they had two articles on two Vipers...the first Viper Comp Coupe the second RSI 690hp SRT10...

First off the Comp Coupe weighted in at 3190[100lb weight penalty thanks to the late great Pmum]...At only 520hp it generated 11.2 @ 130mph :eek: ....Thats the same et and 2 mph off the 612hp Carrera GT....The Carrera weights less too...Street coupe with these specs would be sick...A 650hp version would be a Mclaren F1/Enzo obliterator....If DC doesnt build one for the street they are fools...The Carbon SRT dont count...

The RSI 690hp Viper did a dissapointing 11.4 @ 128mph...Slow for that kind of power. H.......y's much less powerful SRT package did 10's @ over 130 if I remember correctly...Even C & D disputes the power output of the RSI car...Figure its making around 600hp..They loved the acceleration though...

BTW if blinked you would have missed both articles......First instrumented test of the Comp Coupe get relegated to the rear of the mag....Maybe it was due to the first test of the Carrera GT.....Raw numbers.....

Carrera GT.......................Comp Coupe
0-60 - 3.5.........................0-60 - 3.1 :eek:
0-100 - 6.8 :eek: ..................0-100 - 7.0
1/4 - 11.2 @ 132..............1/4 - 11.2 @ 130

Incredible acceleration from both cars....Ones a streetcar :shocked:

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the new Car and Driver with the Carrera GT? If so, your right lol, I must have blinked b/c I didn't see anything on the Comp Coupe or RSI, I'll go read it "carefully" now, heh. But I thought the Carrera was actually heavier, didn't the review place it around 3500 lbs or so.

I've seen a few vids though of the Carrera GT running hard, jeez, it has such a sweet exhaust note, like a street legal indy car.

And DC better build the Coupe, and have it around 3100 lbs. If the CC performed like that with only 520 hp, imagine it being street legal with even more power to put an ass whupping on the new Z06 :2tu: :headbang:

Give us a friggen street coupe NOW :D

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep...the new C&D alright...buried waay back...The Carrera is 3146lbs...Without the weight penalty the comp coupe is lighter then the Carrera GT....Around 3090lbs.....

Ive got a few vids of the Carrera GT also...Gotta say its one of the sweeetest exhaust notes I've ever heard...Deffinately F1 sound all the way...Like it a little better than the Enzo's exhaust....

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Errr, no wonder why I didn't notice anything Viper in it, it was the new Road and Track I have with the Carrera GT. Went through the whole damn mag over and over, flipped it over and saw R&T
You must be registered for see images

Oh well, subscribe to C&D also so I guess it'll be here this week. Were they good articles on the Viper, or just like the little overviews they do in the back of the mag?

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actual tests were done so Id consider it good articles...Pretty eye opening on the Comp Coupe's performance...Its the first solid numbers Ive ever seen for the CC... :2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the comp coupe's numbers would be with street tires, the way most other cars are tested, instead of slicks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT10 is consistantly running high 11s and the CC which has an additional 30hp and is lighter, also comes with Hoosier racing slicks so I would say 11.2 is definitely possible.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a stoct srt 10 crack the elevens in person? not some adjsted for weather/track/altitude magazine run?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a stoct srt 10 crack the elevens in person? not some adjsted for weather/track/altitude magazine run?

Yes. Rob Kincart has done it several times. Bone stock. V10 Nats earlier this year for example. And I was there and saw it.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like you are implying that weather correction is a bad thing.

Weather correction of et's is a good thing. It is possible to hit the drag strip on a very cool, low humidity, high barometric pressure day yielding a negative density altitudes. This would result in times and mph that would be noticeably quicker than what you would typically see.

My point is that weather correction goes both ways. It doesn't always result in a quicker et or higher mph. Many cars best times are due to unusually negative density altitudes.

With rear wheel dyno's everyone only wants to see SAE corrected data. Why shouldn't quarter mile times and mph be treated the same?

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes. I have made a couple of 11 second runs in my 500 mile bone stock SRT-10. I also let another friend drive it at the track and he was able to make an 11 second run. My best run was 11.86 at 123 mph back in February of 2003. This was with a sixty foot time of around 1.97 sec. This was at the drag strip in San Antonio, Texas. I think density altitude that day was around 600ft.

My car was not more powerful than others. It measured around 445 rwhp stock.

I posted the times from the times slip back when this happened. You can probably do a search and find it.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldnt a well broken in Comp Coupe like the one they tested be making more than 520hp???Its also 200+lbs lighter than an SRT and has slicks....I think given those factors 130 seems plausible imo...

The Ford GT rated at 550 did 128 in the 1/4 and its about 3400-3500 lbs....

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like you are implying that weather correction is a bad thing.

Weather correction of et's is a good thing. It is possible to hit the drag strip on a very cool, low humidity, high barometric pressure day yielding a negative density altitudes. This would result in times and mph that would be noticeably quicker than what you would typically see.

My point is that weather correction goes both ways. It doesn't always result in a quicker et or higher mph. Many cars best times are due to unusually negative density altitudes.

With rear wheel dyno's everyone only wants to see SAE corrected data. Why shouldn't quarter mile times and mph be treated the same?

An et is an et on an given day , either it ran it or it didnt. The magazines adjust the et for track conditions, perceved traction problems as well as weather etc. The car may have run a 13.5 , but by the time they factor it it is 11.9! Personally I think its misleading, as people tend to think of the magazines as gospel. If you are lining up @ the local grudge night, noone cares what the correction is , just who crosed the line first.
In my limited experiance @ the strips around our region, I have never seen an srt 10 break the 12.5 mark. But that dosnt really mean anything, as there havent been many SRT 10's running. I am just curious if the numbers are realistic..

By the way I got the magazine test data from motor trend & car & driver a few months back

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was curb weight on the RSI car? According to C&D's scale, the [******] Venom 600 had a curb weight of only 2990 lbs. Seems extraordinarily low...? (If it's a typo, then they did it twice: 1st in print, then on their website.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=7092&page_number=2

The Venom 600 is my car and it can't weigh much less than any other Viper SRT-10's. The car may have lost a little weight from the removal of the stock exhaust crossover system and replacement of the stock cats with high flow cats. The replacement high flow cats were much smaller and therefore much lighter than the stock ones. Other than that, nothing else had been removed from the car.

I'll put it on the scales next time I'm at a drag strip.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going back to the Carrera GT it has 612 HP but isn't the torque less than 500 lbs? The Comp Coupe has alot more torque and runs a track tire which I think could explain better performance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

In my limited experiance @ the strips around our region, I have never seen an srt 10 break the 12.5 mark. But that dosnt really mean anything, as there havent been many SRT 10's running. I am just curious if the numbers are realistic..
I ran an 11.85 @ 122 at Commerce.I'll bring the slip to the dyno pull on Sat.Bone stock.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Venom 600 is my car and it can't weigh much less than any other Viper SRT-10's. The car may have lost a little weight from the removal of the stock exhaust crossover system and replacement of the stock cats with high flow cats. The replacement high flow cats were much smaller and therefore much lighter than the stock ones. Other than that, nothing else had been removed from the car.

I'll put it on the scales next time I'm at a drag strip.

Cool. Would be interested in knowing what the weight is, if indeed C&D's numbers were off.

Regarding the Carrera GT, yes, it has less torque (435 lb-ft), but its gearing through the first 4 gears (the ones most applicable in 1/4 mile runs) is generally shorter, most noticeably in 1st gear.

Overall ratios
1st Gear:
Carrera GT - 14.21:1 (~6180 lb-ft @ the wheels)
VCC - 8.17:1 (~4400)

2nd Gear:
CGT - 8.30:1
VCC - 5.46:1

3rd Gear:
CGT - 6.04:1
VCC - 3.99:1

4th Gear:
CGT - 4.75:1
VCC - 3.07:1

The CGT tops out in 6th gear (0.75:1) @ an estimated 205 mph. The VCC tops out in 5th gear (.74:1) @ ~192, no doubt hindered by the drag of its monstrous rear wing and general setup for downforce. Basically almost doing with 5 forward gears what the CGT is doing with 6. The Porsche should have a slight advantage for launching in its rearward weight bias, but there's nothing quite like pure racing slicks.
That said, the CGT is an amazing car. Marginally quicker around the 2.6-km Hockenheim club circuit than a 996 GT3 Cup car (circa '99) on Pirelli slicks. More than 3 seconds faster than a Zonda C12S...

FWIW, here's R&T's times for an early development VCC (uncorrected for atmospheric conditions):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/3272003165231.pdf

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ran an 11.85 @ 122 at Commerce.I'll bring the slip to the dyno pull on Sat.Bone stock.

I am not saying it cant be done I just havent seen it at one of our events