Viper Competition Coupe Q&A

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were asked why the Viper Competition Coupe's turning radius, at 61.2 ft, is so much greater than the 40 ft. or so of, say, the Viper GTS Coupe. I thought the answer might be of interest to all.

The Viper Competition Coupe's turning radius is intentionally restricted in order for the car to mount its wider Michelin Pilot racing tires. Turning restrictors are put into the steering rack to take out about 30 percent of the lock-to-lock [side to side] steering that is available, for example, in a Viper GTS street car.

If the steering rack was not so restricted, one of two conditions would occur: Wide racing tires would rub, or less-wide tires would have to be used [thus providing less grip].

Check out www.vipercompetitioncoupe.com for all the spex.
FYi & review.

Go Navy!
best~
// DCR SENDS //

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DCR on 11-09-2001 at 04:10 PM</font>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This aint no street car ! Does not need to execute a U-turn in 3 lanes, dash into a parking slot, or parallel park!

Most closed-wheel (fendered) race cars have limited steering lock-to-lock.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would this render the Comp Coupe useless in an autocross or will a 60' turning radius get you through most of them.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the CC also may be steered with it's REAR tires.
With all that torque just give the fronts a little turn in, and with a little throttle the rear will come around to point you in the direction you wish to proceed. YEEEEHHHAAAA!
bounce.gif

PS DAN. When can I order my new 03 Roadster!? Better yet a street COUPE?

OP
OP
D

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paul! How the heck are ya, bubba?
biggrin.gif

Look for the Big Distribution Plan for the 2003 Viper SRT-10 (note the hyphen is correct, JonB, vice the previous "RT/10") in the next issue of VIPER Magazine.

Jim Julow previews it in his "Perspectives" column and then Le Big Plan is laid out on the facing page (along with the announcement of the location and timing of ... you guessed it, VOI.7).

If there was a street Coupe in the works ... and there isn't ... you probably wouldn't hear about it from me here!
laugh.gif

FYi & review.
best!
// DCR SENDS //

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DCR on 11-09-2001 at 04:11 PM</font>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc