VIPER COUPE HP INCREASE

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. They added K&N's from the factory, or has it always been 510??

If this is the wink wink nod nod.....

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Nothing official... yet.... but, remember, the testing for calculating HP has changed....

The bowties jumped right on the bandwagon with the Z06 to announce that it is "now" rated at 505 .....

but as Sween stated....

A WIN is A WIN!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wew! 10hp increase!

It's got to be at least 50 to make a point. Now it will just look like DC is really trying to sqweek by the ZO6.

Boooo

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Heh, if the Vette went from 500 to 505 from a testing change, and we gained 10 from the same issue, how is it DC is squeaking by. Looks like your logic is flawed as they only went by us due to this change, and fair is fair that the change should have some affect for the Viper also.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Heh, if the Vette went from 500 to 505 from a testing change, and we gained 10 from the same issue, how is it DC is squeaking by. Looks like your logic is flawed as they only went by us due to this change, and fair is fair that the change should have some affect for the Viper also.

Good point Bill,

Not sure whether the calculation is now done in a broader RPM range, or is averages of "more pulls", etc, etc

I'm ALL FOR hoping that SRT actually pulled some more HP from engineering changes (and more torque!)

But at this point, no more info is available

OP
OP
S

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder if the viper might get a better 0-60 time with the upgrade. but i doubt it. it would be cool if it went from 0-60 being 3.9 to 3.8. and maybe quarter mile 11.8 to 11.7. that would be better :cool:

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice to know what, if anything, they did to squeeze out the extra 10 hp. Do the current SRT/10's come with K&N filters already? Because if all they did was add K&Ns to get the extra 10 that would seem a little lame to me.
The true test will be dyno results after a few of them are broken in. It seems like most Vipers put out more horse power than they are rated at from the factory. I know both of my GTS's dynoed at 414 rwhp bone stock with about 1000 miles on them.

Bob K

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All they did was use the new SAE parameters in measuring the power.

It wasn't a change in the engine. It was just a change in how the power was measured.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potato, potahto- it's still just a spud.

We simply lucked out due the new testing requirements, not anything DC had a hand in :(

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been the same HP all along.

We all have 510 in our SRT-10's... just wasn't "officially" measured this way before (according to Dan Knotts).

OP
OP
S

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. i thought the viper had a real hp boost and i could finnally sleep good. but i guess its back to viper nightmares :D

Viper J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not buying until something substantial happens, most importantly #1 weight reduction and hemi heads w/ major hp increase. I like my SRT-10 TT by the way.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to one of the SRT Directors last month about this. It is indeed no change in power. Its just the new SAE measurement that way the Vette was measured.

He was quite clear that no horsepower increase is to be expected...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but the Z06 is looking better by the minute between the two coupes...Certain angles it looks more Viperlike than the SRT10 Coupe. And now a wopping 5hp over a car thats 300lbs lighter :rolleyes: At least DC is consistant. Disappointment after disappointment. Never thought a Vette would ever take the Viper in performance AND looks[subjective]imho....I think the SRT10 convertable looks better than the SRT coupe..Sont like the frankenstein coupe...

You must be registered for see images

5925SRT_coupe_001-med.jpg

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the new GTS as DC is making it will never live up to the first GTS. In 1996, the GTS started a substantial improvement over the first RT/10's. The 1996 GTS had 50 more hp with an updated and lighter engine. The 1996 GTS design seemed to bring out the best of the Viper attributes and was perfect for racing. People bought GTS's 4 to 1 over the RT/10 for a couple of years. Before the buyout of Dodge, the Viper was destined to forever crush all other manufacturers cars. The new GTS was an opportunity to correct the Gen 3 styling to more resemble a Viper again. Until DC stops favoring development of it's European half (like the Mclaren SLR) the American Viper will stagnate.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is third party, independent, unbiased, etc. testing but doesn't it seem a little fishy?

Dodge says the viper is 500 HP (mind you, not 501 or 502 but 500).
GM then has it's corvette "certified" at 505.
Now Dodge says the viper is "certified" at 510.
Do I hear 515?

All I know is that whenever I have my cars dynoed they come out to some odd number.

OK, call me a cynic.

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venomaholic -- You're argument makes too much sense. There are many here amongst us who are still in a state of denial waiting for Saint Mercedes Nick.
" Oh please Mr. Benz, we so ever want the Viper to remain King of the Land. Why do you smite us so? "
" You Crazy Yankee's! Silence! How dare you question the mighty wizard of Benz? He knows all. He decides all. Kiss his feet he hasn't killed your precious little project! Just be grateful of your recalibrated HP increase and let us never speak of it again! Now, Mr. Creed, where is that loaf of Roman Meal wheat bread we use as our design inspiration...?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st of all there is NO new GTS. It's called the New Coupe! :D

2nd 10hp is just enough to sqweek out the Vette! Boooo...

Give me a break!