Viper Crash

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This link will give local news video

Link to Vid

Hit a parked semi-trailer, The Dodge Viper was torn into three pieces and the driver died.
You must be registered for see images

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:( That looks bad. Not sure but I guess it's a new GenIII.
There's a T in the road. I wonder if someone pull out in front of him and then kept going.
Be safe people.

Rest in peace.

OP
OP
S

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point. States the limit is 55 on that road. It's in a rural area. maybe the seriousness is due to doing the limit, then having to avoid someone and not being able to brake. The hood looks to be a Gen III.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have no forensic background, from the damage, either that car was moving faster than 55mph or he never touched the brakes.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have no forensic background, from the damage, either that car was moving faster than 55mph or he never touched the brakes.

I'm thinking both.

Moving pretty fast and not being able to jump on the breaks. I'd like to see the tire marks on the road.
It really breaks your heart though. But by the grace of God there go you or I. We've all driven our cars at crasy speeds, we've just lucky nothing got in front of us. IMO

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man that was one gnarly wreck. i don't see any skid marks and from the looks of whats left of that car he must have been doin like 100 mph. the road is very straight and they said that the trailer has been parked on the side of the road for 2 weeks off the road so i am not sure how he hit it. the accident happened at 5:30 am so it was still dark. my guess is its alcohol related.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The steering wheel is red/black and the hood looks like a srt/10 hood. Is that/was a VCA edition srt/10 coupe?

The new clip that was posted clearly shows a body panel that was red with white stripes, you may be right.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the outcome would have been if the trailer wasn't parked there?

There was a barn a bit behind the trailer.... That was a horrific high speed hit - and the driver was ejected over 60 feet from the vehicle. RIP Anthony Burgee (sp?)

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
arizona liscense plate. they say that the trailer was parked 10-15 feet off the road. no skid marks either. he had to be goin at least 100 mph.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the details:

The car is a GTS, I don't remember what year.

Speed estimates have not yet been finalized, but initial estimates are 85+

Accident was reported at 5:13 am.

The inpact moved the trailer almost 10 feet.

Driver's name is Anthony Burgi, 37 years old, local attorney. I do not believe he is a VCA member.

Due to the nature of his injuries, he was killed instantly.

There were no skid marks, only scuff marks. (Skid marks are made by hard braking, scuff marks are made by hard or high speed turning.)

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the outcome would have been if the trailer wasn't parked there?

Th driver could have rolled the car in the dirt or hit a telephone pole. He may have hit nothing and survived. The trailer owner is going get sued just as sure as the sun will rise in the morning.

DrDJ

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure they will be sued, but would you sue a homeowner if you crashed into their house because it was too close to the road????

Stay on the road - single car accidents are quite easy to pinpoint fault.

Overall - very sad.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a Gen III (Hood, intake manifold, side exhaust tips, rims, etc). might be a coupe, but definitely not a GTS.

OP
OP
S

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure they will be sued, but would you sue a homeowner if you crashed into their house because it was too close to the road????

Stay on the road - single car accidents are quite easy to pinpoint fault.

Overall - very sad.
Had a friend, entering the freeway. Took his eyes off the road for a moment and BAM, hit a broke down semi-truck that was parked in the gore point. His fault clearly, but sure as heck, he sued the truck drivers company :eek: I believe he settled for $60K :rolleyes:

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct, I was tired and typed the wrong thing. It was a 2006. It was a unique crash and I'll be interested in finding out the results of the reconstruction. Most interesting point is that the parking brake (or emergency brake) was fully engaged, yet as I said before, no skid marks. There is some consideration to the possibility of another vehicle (Vehicle X, a non-contact vehicle)pulling out in front of him causing him to swerve and overcorrect. If that is true, cold tires might have also been a factor as he was very close to his house. It could also explain the lack of skid marks but presence of scuff and yaw marks.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The news clip interviewed the wife of the trailer owner, they have been parking the trailer there for weeks because is not allowed to be parked in the housing track. They left it there because the area was well lighted!!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Viper Crash - SRT-10 Red/White VCA Edition

Very sad.

The Viper was one of the VCA red/white special editions.

The current owner/driver, Anthony Burgi, was not a VCA member

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dittos, very sad indeed. One thing is for sure, he was definately doing more than 55MPH. With an impact like that, and with the car completely destroyed, he had to have been doing 100+MPH. At the speed limit, even without using brakes, I highly doubt that much damage, and moving a tractor trailer 10+ft could happen.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been thinking about this crash, and to Counselor Burgi's defense, even in a Viper you just do not go off the road when going in a straight line at speed without some sort of failure or intervening force. How sad would be to have a tire or other failure involved, or how just plain horrible to have had another hit-and-run vehicle involved. That was not all him. No way.

The local paper has an obituary online:

You must be registered for see images attach

"Anthony "Tony" Burgi, 36, passed away on March 27, 2007 in an automobile accident in Gilbert, AZ. Tony was born June 16, 1970 in Schenectay, NY, one of six children. Tony was an attorney with a private practice in Gilbert. He was a loving husband to Camie (White) Burgi and an adoring father to Brady, Reagan and Reese. He is also survived by his mother, Bonita Fish; father, Bill Burgi; brothers, Gregory and Stephen Burgi; sisters, Terri (David) Bushman, April (Scott) VanWagenen, Jodeen (Eric) Lindstrom; and mother and father-in-law, Jerry and Elouise White. A funeral service will be held at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Higley Ward, 495 S. Greenfield Rd. in Gilbert, AZ. on Monday, April 2, at 10:00 a.m. Interment will be at Mt. View Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 7900 E. Apache Trail, Mesa, AZ. In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions to The Burgi Children Trust Account @ Chase Acct. # 2735973592. Bunker's University Chapel handled the arrangements. 480-830-4105."

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been thinking about this crash, and to Counselor Burgi's defense, even in a Viper you just do not go off the road when going in a straight line at speed without some sort of failure or intervening force. How sad would be to have a tire or other failure involved, or how just plain horrible to have had another hit-and-run vehicle involved. That was not all him. No way.

The local paper has an obituary online:

You must be registered for see images attach

"Anthony "Tony" Burgi, 36, passed away on March 27, 2007 in an automobile accident in Gilbert, AZ. Tony was born June 16, 1970 in Schenectay, NY, one of six children. Tony was an attorney with a private practice in Gilbert. He was a loving husband to Camie (White) Burgi and an adoring father to Brady, Reagan and Reese. He is also survived by his mother, Bonita Fish; father, Bill Burgi; brothers, Gregory and Stephen Burgi; sisters, Terri (David) Bushman, April (Scott) VanWagenen, Jodeen (Eric) Lindstrom; and mother and father-in-law, Jerry and Elouise White. A funeral service will be held at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Higley Ward, 495 S. Greenfield Rd. in Gilbert, AZ. on Monday, April 2, at 10:00 a.m. Interment will be at Mt. View Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 7900 E. Apache Trail, Mesa, AZ. In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions to The Burgi Children Trust Account @ Chase Acct. # 2735973592. Bunker's University Chapel handled the arrangements. 480-830-4105."
I'd send flowers on behalf of the VCA, but I'm not sure how well it'll sit with the family... some people blame the car. RIP Tony. :(