Viper-curious

mikecronis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a few sport(y) cars in my day, such as the Lotus Elise and Pontiac TransAm Firehawk. I currently own a Sky Redline (nice car, actually). I live in Colorado Springs, CO.

I've seen a few Gen III/IV Vipers on the streets and two at a recent Mopar event, but I really want to know how it "feels". Getting a dealership to have one in-stock is seemingly impossible around here. Dodge dealership agents seem wistful about it as if it's a mythical thing to even see one.

Honestly, I would just like a ride. Just once, even as a passenger for 5 minutes. I'd even buy lunch for someone to take me TO the lunch place and discuss it at the driver's discretion.

I'm curious as to how easy the rear kicks-out, how progressive it is (or isn't) during aggressive cornering. At altitude, is acceleration impressive at launch? How does the front fare with Colorado rock chips? How does it handle in our sudden, torrential rainstorms? etc. etc.

I've purchased the "Viper's Buyer's Guide" (and got it autographed) but it doesn't cover Gen IV vehicles. I'm more interested in a 2005 Mamba-Ed. with some mods. There's a lovely example in the classifieds with a Paxton. No one is selling Vipers locally within 100 miles of here.

Do Vipers really EXIST or are they just PhotoShop JPEGs?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign up for the SRT track experience.....a driver will take you as a passenger for a short ride...and you get to drive all the remaining SRTs.....

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could hit one of the major Viper dealers like Roanoke in IL. They'll pick you up at the airport and let you test drive a car. At least they used to. You really should drive one but I don't know too many owners that will let you take theirs out given they don't know you or your driving skill. A ride in the passenger seat isn't the same.

If you do get to drive one respect the car. I find them easy and safe to drive but if you don't show the car some respect it can bite you. Too often you'll see posts on this site about some newbee that wrecked a Viper because they got fresh with her. John Gastman is the guy to talk to at Roanoke.

OP
OP
M

mikecronis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I suspect that most n00bs would keep too ******* the throttle in a turn and over-torque it, spinning it around, then panic, lift-off and whip 180. One problem/benefit is the ample gobs of torque that can be overwhelming to a newbie.

My Firehawk had decent torque, around 300 lbs. I believe. I found the drift to be progressive and controllable.

The Lotus Elise has almost no torque, and Lotus engineering coupled with interesting tires allowed a VERY progressive, dial-in delicious drift with no surprises. I enjoyed it very much. I did not care for having to replace the instrument cluster 4 times, or the other dozen problems in the year I owned it, all cosmetic or minor. Ah, the Brits.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you are interested in that 05 paxton which may have run flats on it then that would be a challenging combination for a first time driver

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly, I would just like a ride. Just once, even as a passenger for 5 minutes. I'd even buy lunch for someone to take me TO the lunch place and discuss it at the driver's discretion.

Take a three-day weekend vacation and head over to Vegas. There are several exotic car rental places there that rent Vipers. One rental outfit I saw recently has an RT/10, a GTS and an SRT10. Another one has a 2008 green/ black stripe SRT10. Rent a different one each day. :)

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign up for the SRT track experience.....a driver will take you as a passenger for a short ride...and you get to drive all the remaining SRTs.....

Get ready for a blast in the Viper ride from the SRT experience, especially on a road course. If you are not into absolute frightening speed and handling, you need to pass on it.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper with non-R Compund tires will kill you faster and any modern car out there. 500 foot pounds of torque is another world. Sticky tires makes it a "rational" car, but still crazy dangerous. As and attorney, and in light of all the less than 100 miles on the car crashes we have seen I find it almost irresponsible that Dodge sells this cat without requiring some sort of special training.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I suspect that most n00bs would keep too ******* the throttle in a turn and over-torque it, spinning it around, then panic, lift-off and whip 180. One problem/benefit is the ample gobs of torque that can be overwhelming to a newbie.

My Firehawk had decent torque, around 300 lbs. I believe. I found the drift to be progressive and controllable.

The Lotus Elise has almost no torque, and Lotus engineering coupled with interesting tires allowed a VERY progressive, dial-in delicious drift with no surprises. I enjoyed it very much. I did not care for having to replace the instrument cluster 4 times, or the other dozen problems in the year I owned it, all cosmetic or minor. Ah, the Brits.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper with non-R Compund tires will kill you faster and any modern car out there. 500 foot pounds of torque is another world. Sticky tires makes it a "rational" car, but still crazy dangerous. As and attorney, and in light of all the less than 100 miles on the car crashes we have seen I find it almost irresponsible that Dodge sells this cat without requiring some sort of special training.

A lawyer "Enthusiast" with +2000 posts... you know what Shakespeare said about lawyers, right? :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh Gawd. Let's all live in a candyazz world. That would be so much fun. :rolleyes:

Lawyers. :rolleyes:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be time to pony up the 100 clams and join the VCA after 2000 posts there, big timer. :2tu:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be time to pony up the 100 clams and join the VCA after 2000 posts there, big timer. :2tu:
I am actually kind of proud of my outlaw status. Still wish I could have an avatar and a sig but not for $100. I am trying very hard to get a new/better paying job. Perhaps i'll join in celebration if I do.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Gawd. Let's all live in a candyazz world. That would be so much fun. :rolleyes:

Lawyers. :rolleyes:
I would really like to see volume corrected figures of how many Vipers are wrecked in the first hundred miles compared to how many one liter sport bikes are wrecked in the first 100 miles. It seems to me we see and ridiculous amount of Viper crashes where the driver just did not understand there are cars that you cannot "floor" without consequences, whereas a bike rider might worry about falling down which would overcome that "dumbassness."

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would really like to see volume corrected figures of how many Vipers are wrecked in the first hundred miles compared to how many one liter sport bikes are wrecked in the first 100 miles. It seems to me we see and ridiculous amount of Viper crashes where the driver just did not understand there are cars that you cannot "floor" without consequences, whereas a bike rider might worry about falling down which would overcome that "dumbassness."

You lawyers and the like are doing a great job litigating the Viper out of existence. And once you succeed you'll just go after the next car in line. With every new law you make our lives more and more boring. Congrats.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lawyers and the like are doing a great job litigating the Viper out of existence.
Complete bullshyte. I've never worked on the plaintiff side myself, although I was a defense litigator for years. That means I was on your side. And wow - a lot of people we defended really deserved to be sued. And sometimes new "limitations" really bring on fantastic technological break-throughs. It is well know that much of the horsepower rennaissance we are enjoying right now is a direct result of technology that was developed to deal with CAFE and emissions requirements for example. And passive safety rules - don't even think of saying those have not made a HUGE difference to millions of families (although not obviating the need for a solution to our dismal driver training situation in the USofA).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Complete bullshyte. I've never worked on the plaintiff side myself, although I was a defense litigator for years. That means I was on your side. And wow - a lot of people we defended really deserved to be sued. And sometimes new "limitations" really bring on fantastic technological break-throughs. It is well know that much of the horsepower rennaissance we are enjoying right now is a direct result of technology that was developed to deal with CAFE and emissions requirements for example. And passive safety rules - don't even think of saying those have not made a HUGE difference to millions of families (although not obviating the need for a solution to our dismal driver training situation in the USofA).

I know many lawyers... and I hear the same tiring legal-drip. The key here is not to pass laws about the Viper... it's to pass laws on stupid people. Then again, there's already a law... or rather a theory. Darwin got it right.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where do you live?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is well know that much of the horsepower rennaissance we are enjoying right now is a direct result of technology that was developed to deal with CAFE and emissions requirements for example.
"Well known?" Naively assumed is more like it. The HP increases are the result of fuel injectors and the computer chip more than anything else and that progress certainly wasn't inspired by CAFE. What was inspired by CAFE is the manipulation of unit sales, not hp tech advances.

And passive safety rules - don't even think of saying those have not made a HUGE difference to millions of families (although not obviating the need for a solution to our dismal driver training situation in the USofA).
Wearing five-points and a helmet would make an even HUGE-R difference. Is that next? After all, no expense too great for safety right?

BTW let's also include fuel cells, safety nets, fire suppression and full cage...and yes, I'm referring to street cars. Personally, I'd rather see those race-proven safety features than mandatory TC, ABS, AS, airbags and whatever other driver aids reduce skill and fun from the equation.

But fear not, your side is winning. I'm a dinosaur. Have fun.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike all i have to say is i went from a 300hp mustang to a 500hp viper and its a world of differance. Just be careful i cant even imagine what a viper with a paxton on it is like. I may only be 22 years old. but like someone else said dont just go getting in and flooring a car like that. goodluck on getting one and you wont regret it.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, welcome to the addiction! If you want a true Viper experience, do what I did, rent one! There's a 2004 white mamba for rent in Denver, if you are interested let me know and I will put you in contact with them. Also, if you are looking for one that is for sale within the state, try Craigslist, I always find a couple on there. Joe Dozzo in Golden is trying to sell his 2008 Coupe, he has an ad in the classifieds here: Blue w/silver stripes 2008 SRTC - ViperClub Classifieds
Hope this helps!

Josh

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4