Viper Custom Paint Shop

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph was asked if there was any thought of establishing a custom paint shop at the factory for customers to be able to create their own paint schemes as an option. As I recall, he said SRT has looked at the idea but the business case wasn't there, yet. Given computer images that keep appearing on the forum, perhaps SRT should revisit the idea. Maybe SRT needs to have a few conversations with Ferrari about how Ferrari makes their custom shop, which is more than just paint jobs, into a paying proposition. ;)

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this would be really neat, but just not feaseable yet. It would be a huge risk unless you had a higher demand than supply, which is what Ferrari deals with. We will see how sales go, but if they are a few hundred left over, it would be harder to sell them when the potential buyer wants to customize his color like everyone else, but waited too long. Now he would wait for the next model year or search the used market for what he wants. There are several variations of that situation that could occur.

Aside from I don't think the assembly line is set up for that. The longer a car sits unfinished, the higher the cost of manufacturing goes.

Ev0lv3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the panels are prepainted before they go on the car anyways. I couldn't see the car sitting for any longer than it would regularely on the assembly line because it can't/won't get built without the panels anyways.

Would be a cool idea though!!

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way it would viable is to charge absurd amounts of money for the customized options, like Ferrari does. The problem is, unless Ralph's plan of attracting new (upscale) buyers works, most people won't pay the money. From my experience, a good bulk of Viper owners are not wealthy. They're hard working people who've scratched and saved to get the car of their dreams. I don't imagine them ponying up an extra $20k for a SSG two tone interior, some special stripes and paint.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph was asked if there was any thought of establishing a custom paint shop at the factory for customers to be able to create their own paint schemes as an option. As I recall, he said SRT has looked at the idea but the business case wasn't there, yet. Given computer images that keep appearing on the forum, perhaps SRT should revisit the idea. Maybe SRT needs to have a few conversations with Ferrari about how Ferrari makes their custom shop, which is more than just paint jobs, into a paying proposition. ;)

I have inquired about this also, but the indications I have recieved is not at this time, if ever. I especially like the two tone pain job on the GTS-R at the auto show...so for me, it's to my dealer or auto body paint shop.

Most all Ferrari's are custom ordered, as the car is a very personal statement. They will paint the car in any color of your choice beyond standard colors (you may have to provide a paint chip)...pretty much the same with the color of the leathers, of course...ya gotta pay for it, and Ferrari does nothing inexpensive. When I was at a factory visit seeing my 04 being built, I saw a Modena in lime green with orange mirrors and orange Daytona seat strips on black...heading for Tokyo. BTW, they actually had women with sewing machines on the factory floor, sewing the leathers!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way it would viable is to charge absurd amounts of money for the customized options, like Ferrari does. The problem is, unless Ralph's plan of attracting new (upscale) buyers works, most people won't pay the money. From my experience, a good bulk of Viper owners are not wealthy. They're hard working people who've scratched and saved to get the car of their dreams. I don't imagine them ponying up an extra $20k for a SSG two tone interior, some special stripes and paint.
Theres a guy out here in NJ whos got a 100 million dollar car collection (most of them modern Ferraris in crazy one off colors )and Ferrari is getting alot more than 20k for a custom (interior has to be dyed to match )i believe he was paying approx 60k above normal.Theres also a ton of variables in there (amount of leather ,carben fiber ect)that greatly effect price