Viper Days - Willow Springs - Write-up (long, w/ pics)

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have never been to a Viper Days event, I thought I'd post a write-up and some pics of my excursion to the recent event in California. Apologies in advance for the length of the post. I'll post the pictures with captions first, and an account of the trip for those interested below:

You must be registered for see images

The first turn of Sunday's Michelin Challenge race. All of the cars are about to dive into turn 1, 3 abreast. This picture shows where 2 cars got munched on Saturday - #1 is one wreck doing about $15K in damage, and #2 is where a $150K car got totaled.

Some of the starting line for Sunday's Race.

Pushing one of the McCann Vipers back to their tent after the race - notice the dramatic impending rain which cut my last day short.

I was aiming for the car in the center of my viewfinder, but they were going so fast that the car was almost off-screen before I got the camera button pushed. This happened alot.

Case in point. I had about 20 pictures with blank track because I was too slow, or the race cars were too fast.

Driving back, there was snow from Sacramento to past Redding - about 200 miles. However, 4 white-knuckled hours later I was pretty much through it - despite rear pilots worn pretty thin during 2 hard days of driving. Notice the pile of ice that fell off of the front of the fascia

To get to Willow Springs from Seattle, I had to drive about 1100 miles down the coast. By taking the scenic route through Lake Tahoe, I was also able to break my formerly "unbreakable" rule and drive my Viper while getting snowed on, for about 70 miles. It was either this or camp in the Sierra Nevada, so I sucked it up and drove cautiously in a large convoy of cars. Continuing south through Mojave, I encountered a dust storm and managed to embed a tumbleweed fairly firmly in my radiator.

Since I had a day to kill, I went down to LA (actually, for me, anything south of San Francisco is "LA") and cruised around Beverly Hills drawing stares. Went to the Ferrari showroom (too expensive), spanked a Diablo (driver was a wuss), and eventually ended up 90 miles north at Willow Springs, right next to Edwards Air Force Base. After checking in at the hotel in Lancaster, I got an early night's sleep to prepare for an early morning.

On Saturday morning, the track opened at 6:00, and at 6:00 AM in the desert it's cold enough to freeze your (lug)nuts off. After getting in and finding a place to park, I lined up to get my car Tech inspected. Everything was fine, except for some marginal clutch fluid which was quickly changed by the Archer tent's excellent techs, and so I was ready for class.

The event format is a 2 day instructional school alternating between instructor led classes and track time. Run-groups of about 15 cars are based on skill level - Since this was my first Viper Days event I was in the green (rookie) group. Although at first I was a bit leery of re-taking rookie classes, I found that I was not the fastest driver and that none of my class time was wasted. Skip was an excellent teacher in the class room, and my in-car instructors were great on the track. After 2 days of instruction I shaved 12 seconds off of my lap time - from 1:57 to 1:45.

Each of the 4 run groups got four 30-minute run sessions per day. Although this didn't seem like much on Saturday morning, by Saturday evening's forth session I'd pretty much had enough for the day. Sunday took up where Saturday left off, with more class and track time. The lapping sessions were generally excellent, since drivers were staged according to their previous lap times. This means that we didn't waste 10 minutes of each session trying to get enough space between cars to run a clean lap. The rookies had a few off-track excursions during the weekend (called Woodchucks, named - according to Skip - for Bob Woodhouse who went so far off the track one time that nobody could see him), and no green-group cars were damaged.

All in all it was an excellent experience, and I can't wait to head down to Button Willow for the next event in February. Between now and then, I have to look at a few mechanical items and get new tires, and swap out all my fluids, and give my engine one heck of a scrubbing, and...well, you get the picture.

A

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aaahhh yessss, verry familiar with munching a car at turn 3 and 4 (where arrow number 1 is pointing). Amazing how cold it gets out there, isn't it. Sounds like you had a great time, except for the snow and tumble ****.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy...Dont know If I got a chance to meet you at the track. I meet so many people that weekend. How did the brakes work for you any problems?? Did you run the tire pressures I recommended to you??

You are right about the instructors I had Tammy as my instructor and she shaved another second of my time which I was Stoked about.

I will be there in Feburary also so look me up

What was your car number???
mine is 208

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the weekend was below normal in temps but the enthusiam was high. We had 17 rookies and they all did great. The food was great and all 68 Vipers had plenty of tracktime and a great chance to see whats new and hot on cars and at the vendors present.
Hope to see more new faces at Button Willow in 3 weeks. Register now!!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
When Did Kumho start making 335 Vipersize tires?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntmatter:
Finally, does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of Kumho vs. Pilot for street tires?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next time you take a shot with your camera pan (follow) the car with the camera keep it in the view finder and snap the shot as the camera continues to follow the car. That should help you avoid those annoying empty shots. It also makes a cool motion effect with the car the center of attention. I know we're fast but with some practice you'll be a pro foto guy in no time, catching all the action. Hope this helps.

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met John SSpeed Racer and I can attest that he drove his new beautiful Graphite/Silver GTS with vigor. I was sitting at the short straight between 2 and 3 and he was SCREAMING around turn two and took turn three with the perfect line. Well done. He HAD to end near the top of his class, didn't he?

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy,
Viper Days has a lot of sponsers and one of the big ones is michlin. Please order tires from Bobby Archer. He will bring them to the track. If you need help to remove your wheels I'll be glad to help.
Fast Viper Dan. Silver/Blue #99. "Race Ya Later" (Brian Angen)

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...Great story Andy

Fun...ain't it? You must be a trooper pulling the white knuckles in the snow trick but Viper Days is always great. You'll rarely find a better crowd. Hopefully I'll "dis"grace a few events this year with my lowly scumball Corvette. Who knows, I might raise an eyebrow or two with Big Brakes, 440 RWHP and 3020 lbs in street trim. See you there.

Tittle

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy remember if you don't run Michlins than I'll have to move you out of prepared and into the unlimited class.So if you are planning on participating in the Michlin challange series this is important.See you at Button Willow.Tom

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My number was 68 - I was in the Silver/Blue car (one of three there) that didn't have permanent numbers. My tires had about 9,000 miles and 4 track days on them when I got there, and I'll need to replace at least the rears before I do anything else. I used the brakeman #3 pads, which were good for the drive down and track time - I have at least 50% left on the fronts and more on the rears. As I've discovered, seven 30-minute run sessions spaced an hour or two apart are much easier on your brakes than a single 3-hour session. The Stoptech rotors, lines, and Porsche deflectors all helped as well - I feel that I have a good deal more performance in the brakes that I didn't use.

I have a very small leak in the brake fluid reservoir seals - which should be covered under warranty. Other than that and the tires, the car needs a major wash and wax, and a complete fluid replacement and I should be ready to go.

I used to worry about the car always looking perfect and being low mileage for resale value. At this point, however, I don't think that's ever going to happen so my new plan is to drive the doors off of it, then buy some AutoForm replacement doors and drive it some more.

Finally, does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of Kumho vs. Pilot for street tires? Also, would RedLine oil be worth using, or should I just stick with Mobile One?

A

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you describe the risk of "trading paint" at the Viper Days event? I have already had a minor fender bender on my viper, on the street (which we all know the repair cost is shocking to say the least) and I am afraid IF my insurance covers me at a Vipers Days event, and I have another claim, they will either refuse to insure me or I won't be able to afford the new premiums...

Thoughts?

Tomer..
PS I have NO track experience, but I would also be conservative if I did it...

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Green (rookie) group is by far the safest group to run in - passing zones are on strait track only, and the car you are passing has to point to let you go by. Your main risk is going to be trying to push beyond your abilities, or else just making a mistake when you are driving. I myself never even had a tire to off-track, and I was driving modestly-conservative - especially in the trickier parts in the track. I think that the skills that you gain in taking the classroom instruction outweigh, by a long shot, the risks to your car in the green group. With a car as powerful as the Viper, ignorance of what the car will do in performance situations is much more dangerous than the time spent in a safe track environment learning about those capabilities.

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just asking in a general way about Kumho tires - didn't know if anybody had an opinion about them. Michelins it is - I'd already called Archer's about a price - just need to decide if I should put them on here or 1100 miles from now in Bakersfield. As to devil turns 3 and 4, after seeing the problems that everyone else had there I took that section like an old lady driving to church.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was me I just registered it yesterday. So no more paper.

I am very familiar with the track. For the previous year and 1/2 I ran a 1996 Impala SS around that track 5 times.
But just climbing into in this new Viper was something I have always dreamed about but was a little worried about. I had only driven an automatic around the race track.

I had the Viper at the track on Jan 5 th and 6th and ran times of 1.36 and 1.35.
I would have never thought it could go any faster around that track.

Then came Viper Days (kind of intimidating when you first pull up to the track.) Everyone with there pit crews and beautiful trailers. Me pulling up in a wooded open trailer! I was feeling way out of my league. I had never seen anything like this in my club racing events. I ran on Saturday in the Blue group and when I would get a clean lap I was running 1.34!! I had a hard time believing this. Then Tammy and Courtney said I should move up to the White group so I did and got my first 1.33 lap with TAMMY the Ultimate instructor!!!

By Sunday I ran a lot of clean sessions in the white group. I was running 1.32 and 1.33 every lap in my sessions on Sunday.

Gary #44 was running times in the blue group of 1.37. We talked and I told him to move up to the White Group and he ran his best lap time of 1.35.992!!!! big improvement over what he was running earlier.

I don't know why he wants me to move into another class??

Anyway I really enjoyed meeting and giving rides to everyone last weekend and look forward to Buttonwillow.

Thanks to everyone for there helping me through my first event with Viper Days!!! (Courtney)

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go SSpeed racer!
I was wondering who that was that was kick'n my butt out there.
I'm in the same class (SS). The best I could pull was 1:38.15 for third place. I'll look for you at Button Willow. I would like to go for a ride with you and share notes.
See you there!
Fast Viper Dan #99 Silve/Blue

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, that's a great picture of your new car in your avatar! Look at those sidewalls fighting for their lives.
smile.gif

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was my first Viperdays and I had a blast. I had been to several other events at Willow but Viperdays was by far the best one I have been to. It is very well organized and ran right on schedule. Having Bobby and John Archer there to help with tire and mechanical issues was great as well.

With the excellent instruction and a desire to keep up with the smokn' Sspeed racer I was able to drop my personal best 5 seconds to 1:37 and that is in an old slow GenI. (can't wait to get my ACR next month when they draw my ticket)

The only complaint I have is that Skip didn't warn us about going out to the bar with his "crew" until Sat. at the drivers meeting. By then it was too late for Socal Rebel and myself. The damage was already done.
smile.gif
smile.gif

If you are considering a track event I highly recommend viperdays. The ride with Skip in his car is worth the price of admission alone.

Ken #46

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960