Viper in Fatal Crash

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was in this mornings San Francisco Chronicle:
Dodge Viper in Fatal Crash:
"One person died after a Dodge Viper struck the center divider on North Bound Highway 101 in Millbrae according to the CHP. Two people were inside the Dodge Viper, but CHP officials weren't sure of the injuries to the second person. The Viper hit the center wall and overturned near the Millbrae Avenue exit at about 9:20 p.m."

This location is directly across from the San Francisco Airport.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wonder what they were doing and how fast.

this is bad news. like gerald said, hope it wasnt anyone we all know.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another Viper wreck... That make 4-5 since the beginning of the year. What a start! I drove right by that area just a few days ago. Could have been me. I wonder if it's anyone from here.

Condolences to the family.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another Viper wreck... That make 4-5 since the beginning of the year. What a start! I drove right by that area just a few days ago. Could have been me. I wonder if it's anyone from here.

I thought of you immediately, very glad it was not you and still sad for whoever it was. :(

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought of you immediately, very glad it was not you and still sad for whoever it was. :(

Lee: I'm touched, but this doesn't mean we'll be trading spit in the shower. :D

My guess is that it was the overturn that killed them... they were probably in a vert with no real roll bar. DC really should have better flip protection on their verts.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm............. well what can i say but that i watched somebody in a high performance airplane last month take their last flight on earth. i live in a residentail fly-in community and we have a few top gun wannabes with more flight time than reflexes if you know what i mean. to make a long story short i watched a pilot take his best friend to the grave. their was nothing i could do but wait for the fire department to arrive. by the time they got there it was to late. they tried pumping his chest for 10 minutes but i knew that was not gonna work because he flew straight into the ground goin over 150 mph. the diesel fuel from the turbine was a very strong smell that stayed with me for days. but now it all just seems like a dream....... all i can do is pray that i am not next

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, from most of the R/T10 overturn wreck pictures that I've seen, the sports cap (that's what D/C calls the built-in rollbar in the R/T10) holds up VERY well in a rollover. Better than the SRT faux-rollbars. It's a really solid bar, bolted to the chassis.
Unless it was a SRT-10 convertible, in which case I agree with you. The windshield frame does offer some rollover support, but they should pony up a few bucks to add real rollbars on the SRT-10 Viper, even if they don't admit that they offer rollover protection (for legal purposes).
Still, it's more likely that the driver just slid sideways into the center divider at speed.
It has been raining here lately, and the first rain in a while is always a bad time for traction.
So sad. :(

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm............. well what can i say but that i watched somebody in a high performance airplane last month take their last flight on earth. i live in a residentail fly-in community and we have a few top gun wannabes with more flight time than reflexes if you know what i mean. to make a long story short i watched a pilot take his best friend to the grave. their was nothing i could do but wait for the fire department to arrive. by the time they got there it was to late. they tried pumping his chest for 10 minutes but i knew that was not gonna work because he flew straight into the ground goin over 150 mph. the diesel fuel from the turbine was a very strong smell that stayed with me for days. but now it all just seems like a dream....... all i can do is pray that i am not next

Sorry about your experience with the pilot (not sure if he was your friend or not). Being so close to any death can evoke a sense of loss and depression.

I always saw personal aviation as mother nature's way of weeding out the rich... it's not like the rich would ever starve to death (except maybe Paris Hilton). I don't climb electrical towers and attempt repairs when the lights go out in my house. Some things should be left to the pros.

Life is short... shorter as each day goes by. Love and be loved! :2tu: (...and make love, too)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The eyewitness confirms that it was a vert. He said it was "new". Don't know if that means fresh off the lot with dealer platers, or if he just meant it's an srt-10 instead of an rt-10.

Unfortunately, it does sound like driver error. FinalEd's right: Let's all be careful.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
OMFG.................

Originally Posted by sharkbite1979
Did you stop and help?

Originally Posted by Stevieb
I was waiting for someone to ask that. NO I didnt and for two reasons.
1) there was nothing I could do, the car was flat on its roof, the smoke from the fire was so thick it looked like a plane crash, If I were superman I could have ran back and lifted the car up, and secondly

2) I had a very close friend get killed once trying to help someone on the freeway and that entered into mind. Not thay I would never stop and help someone, but I assessed the scene and determined that the fire, the nature of the accident and the fact that it was dark in the #1 lane and smoke was covering all the lanes, I felt it was unsafe to stop there.

GTS1998

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"A woman killed in a crash on U.S. Highway 101 in Millbrae Friday night has been identified by the San Mateo County Coroner's Office as 20-year-old Trillian Amanda Jean Crim, 20, of Burlingame.
The crash occurred around 9:15 p.m. on northbound Highway 101 in the area of Millbrae Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The CHP reported that a Dodge Viper hit the highway's center divider, killing one person and sending another to San Francisco General Hospital.
A CHP spokesman was not immediately available to provide additional details on the accident."

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Dang, 20 years-old. My friend's cousin was driving and wrecked on New Years (Dec 31). If anyone from Jax, Fl drove by Beach Blvd by Parental Home Road under the overpass and saw the scene, I will fill you in if you want.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it her car, or her parents? I can't imagine letting my kids drive my car especially in the dark, unless they have had plenty of experience driving it before in the day time??? If it was her car, I wonder how long she had owned it? Pretty sad. I hope the innocent passenger ends up o.k.

GTS1998

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spoke to my CHP buddy. The girl that was killed was the passenger. Apparently the Viper was being driven recklessly prior to the collision. The driver had borrowed his father's Viper. I have no more details right now.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to my CHP buddy. The girl that was killed was the passenger. Apparently the Viper was being driven recklessly prior to the collision. The driver had borrowed his father's Viper. I have no more details right now.

You want to call the father an idiot, but you feel his pain. There will be more pain and lawsuits... nothing good will come of this. :(

I think every one involved there needs another round of prayers.

06 VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See! We all have to be careful. It's not only us as the driver of these vehicles it's the other people on the road as well. 20 years old! That's a damn shame. A prayer goes out to her and her family.

SRT10Mike

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Driving reckless in the rain no less...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gets back to the statement of not loaning out the car unless the driver is well equipped technically and mentally. These are not your father's Oldsmobile, they are high speed ultra performance cars and should only be in the hands of capable drivers.

Condolences to all, but let's try to prevent these in the future.