Viper: Investor/collector/value considerations.

jax92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper is just entering its 17th model year and thoughts of collectability arise. I'm sure many owners are previous corvette owners and we can only sit in amazement as we watch the prices of covettes skyrocket. I believe that the success is attributable to the fine job the NCRS does in providing detailed manuals relatiing to each model year providing invaluable info for both the collector and the investor. As we have alll come to learn, originality is king. The somewhat "limited" market for the viper almost precludes that any such product, such as M. F. Dobbins "Fact Book" will be provided, I believe that the eventual need for this type of information must come from the VCA, with full support from the membership. Even if a "surcharge" were imposed for production of these reference books, it would be worth it. Down the road when the big bucks are handed out, the buyer needs to be able to verify the authenticity of any viper being considered for purchase. If we want to increase the value of these cars over the coming years, this type of information is absolutely essential. Just look to the corvette for proof. Now is the time while a close relationship with Chrysler still exists, and there are many original cars to be examined. Appreciate any comments.

Last edited:

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I would also love to be a part of this process and help in the production. Any help I can give please let me know.

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great suggestion which I fully support but don't look for any help from Chrysler, Dodge or our VCA leadership. They all are afraid of disclosing any "official" detailed facts, parts or running changes on the Viper out of fear of being sued. I wish that we could do it but you will find yourself on your own unless a high racking Chrysler person wants to do it.
Even our Viper Quarterly mag. does not care. I have contacted them several times about doing a story about the 1992 Vipers. No interest! This is our 15th anniversary year and there hasn't even been any coverage about such a major historical event.
Pat
VCA '92 - '93 Viper Registrar

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great suggestion which I fully support but don't look for any help from Chrysler, Dodge or our VCA leadership. They all are afraid of disclosing any "official" detailed facts, parts or running changes on the Viper out of fear of being sued. I wish that we could do it but you will find yourself on your own unless a high racking Chrysler person wants to do it.
Even our Viper Quarterly mag. does not care. I have contacted them several times about doing a story about the 1992 Vipers. No interest! This is our 15th anniversary year and there hasn't even been any coverage about such a major historical event.
Pat
VCA '92 - '93 Viper Registrar
Um, you might want to reword that a little bit. Other than future product, I know for a FACT that the "VCA leadership" will provide any and all information we possibly can. Indeed, The Viper Registry was hosted on the VCA servers for almost a decade. And out of deference to the owner of the same, the VCA doesn't publish that information here, although we very easily could. Nor does the VCA have ANY say in VIPER magazine - it is a Dodge/SRT publication - not the VCA's. So please reword that first statement as it is totally false.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we will be getting in restoring our Vipers in the near future. I imagine Jonb & Father Viper would be able to help out. Don't get caught up in the NCRS vettes..unless it has been Judged & has Paperwork to state the fact. I see NCRS stated vettes only to be Non NCRS Vettes, no paperwork, not unjudged, & then i'm told they are NCRS "style" vettes. Down the road our Vipers will also be judged. The 100 point cars will be worth the $$$$, the ones that are not will demand high $$$$ but won't get it...

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we will be getting in restoring our Vipers in the near future. I imagine Jonb & Father Viper would be able to help out. Don't get caught up in the NCRS vettes..unless it has been Judged & has Paperwork to state the fact. I see NCRS stated vettes only to be Non NCRS Vettes, no paperwork, not unjudged, & then i'm told they are NCRS "style" vettes. Down the road our Vipers will also be judged. The 100 point cars will be worth the $$$$, the ones that are not will demand high $$$$ but won't get it...

At least the Vipers will not have a whole laundry list of options and engine options when considering originality.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is still a lot of Vipers with almost no miles on them tucked in peoples garages. Not sure how this will effect values or collectability but there will definitely be no shortage of survivors and perfect examples to reference for the documentation. :dunno:

I know the number of low mile cars is going down but does anybody have an idea of what percentage of Vipers are still being horded and not driven? I suspect it may be higher than we think.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gen1's are very close to bottoming out in price,imho. for a low milage first gen in excellent condition, its money in the bank.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would be very interesting to see how many 'original' Vipers are in existance when the time comes that Vipers are judged for originality, etc.

I think many Viper owners modify their Vipers for power and performance. And I am one of those people. It seems perfectly natural for a Viper owner to modify them. So again, how many will be original?

Will there be a seperate class to judge the tuner cars? If so, will the judges know what constitues original equipment for the tuner cars? There are many more tuner companies today that modify Vipers as compared to 60's muscle cars; Shelby, COPO, etc.

Before I started modifying my Venom 550 Hennessey car I thought it would be interesting to find out if any build documentation existed for my car at Hennessey. When I contacted Hennessey, I was told that no such information existed because no documentation was ever kept. Because of this it may make judging my Viper very difficult.

Any thoughts/comments??

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT
If you want to help, please read your private message and call me.
Pat

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62