Viper is cranking, but not starting? - Anyone else have this issue?

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
U guys think it would be safe to drive? The shop I take it to is about 70 miles from me. I don't want to do any damage. I know that's a ver vague question as there is no telling what the issue could be (if there is even one now).

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you still planning on taking it to the shop even though it seems to have cleared up? I would drive it as much as possible around your area first to make sure it's fixed prior to driving it a long distance.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you still planning on taking it to the shop even though it seems to have cleared up? I would drive it as much as possible around your area first to make sure it's fixed prior to driving it a long distance.

Yes definitely going to take it in and have her checked out just in case. I will drive her around town today and see how it goes. Thanks

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the plugs are seriously fouled from all the times you tried to start it, dumping gas on them.....change the plugs first...then drive it around town....and see the difference.....don't pay a shop to tell you that, it was the plugs , and cost some stupid amount of money just for that.....eliminate that one thing for yourself......
After it sat for a few days and the plugs were able to dry enough that the car started....is what I think.....

Yes definitely going to take it in and have her checked out just in case. I will drive her around town today and see how it goes. Thanks

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess would be on getting the coil packs wet or even damp. The same thing happened to me with my Durango a few years back. Once I dried everything out and gave it a good wipe down it fired right up. As for the rough idle I'd still have it looked at and for good measure replace the fuses and sensors to be on the safe side. Might not hurt to have A&C look it over.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I took it for a drive today and driving like a dream again. no more rough idle. still taking it to Todd just in case. Cheers!

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys so i have been driving the viper nearly every day with no problems for a few weeks and then all of a sudden it's doing the same thing, cranks but no start. I was out of town for 10 days, just tried to start RR up again and it turned over twice but did not stay on. I tried again and now it just cranks. Have not washed it or anything. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah i took it over to him when it first happened and everything seemed to check out ok. I guess ill take it back. Maybe its the fuel filter

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check battery Volts, then for spark, then for fuel pressure first. You can rent a fuel pressure checker from an auto parts store. Do you have a service manual?

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update: I got some time to speak with Todd at A&C performance about my start issues and once again he has come through. I noticed my car starting to backfire so he had me press the gas down while starting it and it fired right up. I reved it and held it for 10 seconds around 2500 RPM and now it seems to be fine and idling normal. He is suspecting it could be a dirty injector or bad plug. Todd never fails to impress me :)