Viper is pulling hard to the left w/moton supsension???

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't figure it out. My car that makes around 900rwhp sat for a few months, and then I drove it on a road trip but needed new tires. So while I was out of town I had some new BFG DR's installed. I've been through a dozen sets of these over the years w/never a problem. So I get on the highway and do a hard pull and my car starts walking all over the road nearly uncontrollably! I can't figure it out. It feels like a drag car does when you're on a full slick and it just floats around. PSI is 28lbs on both rear tires which is where I always keep them to help w/traction. What are some steps I can take to figure my problem out? Thanks--Andy

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the canister pressures.

Mine acted "loose" with uneven cannister pressures.

What tires are you running on the front? I have been told that PS2s and other sticky radials will cause problems...:dunno:
I use runflats with DRs.

Did you get your car aligned and cornerbalanced after the Moton install?

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine acted "loose" with uneven cannister pressures.

What tires are you running on the front? I have been told that PS2s and other sticky radials will cause problems...:dunno:
I use runflats with DRs.

Did you get your car aligned and cornerbalanced after the Moton install?

I'll look into the pressures.Is there any special tool I need to measure it? Yes, the car was aligned and balanced years back w/the install...I've always ran the same tire setup w/no problems.

Reaction score
Diff could also be giving up after all these years. The new shoes may be exaggerating it now. Have you checked the fluid lately?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Any chance the springs are not seated properly after you had the tires changed. Dont know what made me think of this as I've always wondered what the purpose of the helper springs is with the motons?

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What Mark says, if your diff is OE, it may be giving up. Not likely a shock issue but could be an alignment issue.

Helper springs help keep load bearing springs aligned when going over extreme bumps with the suspension fully extended.

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Diff could also be giving up after all these years. The new shoes may be exaggerating it now. Have you checked the fluid lately?

The car only has 9,000 miles on it, but I'll be glad to check the fluid. Just out of curiosity, why would it be the diff? I just can't make it make sense in my head. Enlighten me Mark:D

Reaction score
If the diff is going out the torque will be applied more to just one wheel than the other. This will cause a consistent directional change. This is is also what makes the Quaife such a great piece, by constantly shifting power to the wheels with the most traction it is almost like driving a boat with twin S/C motors using the power of each to keep it going straight.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money is still on canister pressures. After ours sat for 8 months, two had dropped considerably...took on track and all over the place. Recharged to our set-up, and broke the track record at Thunderhill for STO next session out. Found out that even 5 pound differntial is hugh on a race car-twenty pound on a street car could have the same effect. What happens when you brake hard at say 70 miles and hour- does the anti-lock kick in? That is another sign of low/unequal canister pressures-assuming the road is straight, dry, and not full of potholes.

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the diff is going out the torque will be applied more to just one wheel than the other. This will cause a consistent directional change. This is is also what makes the Quaife such a great piece, by constantly shifting power to the wheels with the most traction it is almost like driving a boat with twin S/C motors using the power of each to keep it going straight.

well, I got the shocks ironed out and it helped tremendously. However, at WOT in 4th the car pulls hard left. Do you think this could be strictly an alignment issue, or definitely the rear diff.? Could it be as simple of a fix as putting fresh fluid in the diff? Thanks!--Andy

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Andy,

You can have the diff fluid changed and it may help. It's possible that the friction modifier (added to the diff) has worn out. Unitrax did this once for me and my Paxton car was pulling hard left too. It helped for a while. The diff still blew up and I put a Quaife in it.

Be careful. My first diff blew up while cruising in 6th gear at 75 mph. Locked up the left rear wheel. Second diff blew up at the drags while accelerating in 2nd gear at about 70 mph, again locked the left rear wheel. Both were potentially dangerous situations.

Turn some very slow tight circles in a parking lot and see if you can hear / feel one of you tires scrubbing or some roughness from the rear end while you are turning. This was the first symptom of my diff failing and I didn't know it at the time.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
O

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andy,

You can have the diff fluid changed and it may help. It's possible that the friction modifier (added to the diff) has worn out. Unitrax did this once for me and my Paxton car was pulling hard left too. It helped for a while. The diff still blew up and I put a Quaife in it.

Be careful. My first diff blew up while cruising in 6th gear at 75 mph. Locked up the left rear wheel. Second diff blew up at the drags while accelerating in 2nd gear at about 70 mph, again locked the left rear wheel. Both were potentially dangerous situations.

Turn some very slow tight circles in a parking lot and see if you can hear / feel one of you tires scrubbing or some roughness from the rear end while you are turning. This was the first symptom of my diff failing and I didn't know it at the time.

Good luck,

Dan

You mentioned you blew up two diffs. Were they both the stock diffs or was the 2nd one a quaiffe? Thanks for the input--Andy