Viper motor durability????

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to the forum. As you can see to the left, this is my first post. I currently own a '95 Corvette and am contemplating selling it and getting a '96 or '97 blue and white Viper GTS. I've heard the V-10's are not as reliable as the Chevy SB V-8's. I would appreciate any info on the reliability of a stock or slightly modified (exhaust, K&N, etc) viper. I have quite an extensive knowledge base for Corvettes but know nothing more than what I read in magazines about Vipers. Any info would be appreciated. I'll be browsing the forums for the next month to soak up as much knowledge as possible. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

-Jim
patriot.gif

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spdrcrj, I have 73,000 miles on my 1996 GTS. I have driven it fairly hard and it still makes plenty of power. I have had no problems with the engine. If you want to know for sure, call Jason Heffner in a few days as he is taking out the motor for a complete rebuild. I have opted for the complete rebuild route because Jason will be building me an intercooled + supercharged beast that will be putting out something on the order of 850-900 RWHP and Torque. I am getting custom rods and pistons as well as many other things. I know this does not sound encouraging to my faith in the Viper V-10, but I just want to be safe with that many miles and the extreme power output. But Jason will be able to tell you what shape the motor is in when he takes it apart.

I say go for it, you will not be disappointed! Paolo

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jim,

Chrysler's durability testing for the production Viper V10 included 300 consecutive hours at WOT. This engine did have some issues when powdered-metal cylinders were used for a short while -- the cylinders were so hard that the rings wouldn't seat on break-in. These engines were quickly replaced. Some early Gen-I Vipers had weak head gaskets from the factory, but I'm sure all of these have been replaced by now.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most reliable Viper engine is the 225 Slant Six. Those cars are easy to spot, as they came in all Vipers not painted yellow or silver.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the 400 HP Gen1 engine, with its wet sleeve cylinders, that leak around the gaskets. GTS 1996+up, and RT 1997+up, (I think) all have the stronger Gen2 motor, with the more durable, standard cylinder design. And its 450 HP.

Some model years also had 415 HP, but I don't memorize that stuff.

I've heard some people say that after about 700 HP at the crank, you want a stronger bottom end. So it depends on how hard you want to lean on it. Maybe you could put the boost on it up to 800 or 900 HP, and it will stay together if you don't take it to the track every weekend. I dunno! But I think its generally agreed in the Viper Nation that you wanna build up the bottom end above 700BHP.

Any experts, tuners, or more knowledgable than me wanna chime in?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic, are you biased? Stay away from a Generation 1? The original Viper...you got to be kidding. I have not had a problem with my motor at all infact it seems to get stronger with each and every day. My last Dyno pull for a stock motor, no mods, not even smooth tubes or K&N's, no headers, nothing....390 at the wheels.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen1 head gasket problem seems to be the only major problem with the V10. That should cost about $2k to fix if it happens to you. Some overheating with later Vipers is a common problem. Aftermarket radiators seem to fix that.
All in all, the V10 is probably not as dead reliable as the 350 Chevy small block, what is? However, I would say the V10 is reliable enough so you shouldn't worry about it. If it needs to be fixed it isn't like a Ferrari or a Porsche. Mechanical repairs to the car and engine are not terribly expensive, more than a Corvette but not much.
From what I've seen on this board, you can get all the horsepower you want without beefing up the bottom of the engine. Now, if you are going to really race the car or if you want to double the horsepower, that's a different story. You can make a formidable street car without any lower end work on the engine.
Buy one, you will like it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 RT/10 57,000 miles. Numberous 175 mph runs, drags, tracks. No problems. No mods

97 GTS 30,000 miles. Mostly track, some drag. No problems. Suspension mods only.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Vic,
Way to help out resales that everyone is always b!tching about.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'd stay away from the 400 HP Gen1 engine, with its wet sleeve cylinders, that leak around the gaskets.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've had mine for 7 years and never a problem, hell I'd be interested in knowing how many actually did have problems.
And even if you did have a head gasket problem, Big Deal!
It's not a big job.
Personally I don't think that is a good reason not to buy a Gen 1 Viper.

RED 94 RT/10 with side pipes is the Icon for Vipers, just look around.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HEMIDAYTNA:
Vic, are you bias? Stay away from a Generation 1? The original Viper...you got to be kidding I have not had a problem with my motor at all infact it seems to get stronger with each and every day. My last Dyno pull for a stock motor, no mods, not even smooth tubes or K&N's, no headers, nothing....390 at the wheels.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats very respectable! I'm sorry I don't have more experience with the Gen1 engine from which to make a judgement. Sorry if I offended you.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigfoot:
Hey Vic,
Way to help out resales that everyone is always b!tching about.
I'd stay away from the 400 HP Gen1 engine, with its wet sleeve cylinders, that leak around the gaskets.
I've had mine for 7 years and never a problem, hell I'd be interested in knowing how many actually did have problems.
And even if you did have a head gasket problem, Big Deal!
It's not a big job.
Personally I don't think that is a good reason not to buy a Gen 1 Viper.

RED 94 RT/10 with side pipes is the Icon for Vipers, just look around.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tracy, I'm very glad to hear that you have had no problems with your head gaskets. By the way people gripe about Dodge on this board, I thought everyone with a Gen1 had gasket problems. Maybe those with strong Gen1 engines should post something positive once in a while for some balance. Thanks for your input, I learned something good today. Sorry if I offended you.
-Vic

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 and 23.000 miles (of which 16.000 within 2 years).

Absolutely NO problems, gas and oil, gas and oil.....(and tires...)

Regular plug+wires change once a year plus fresh Mobil 1 oil every 3000 miles.
Nothing leaks in my motor.

I did read a lot about Gen 1 "leakers", but that did not scare me away, hey its only a simple one cam pushrod motor! And one of the biggest criterias I had for a Viper was SIDEPIPES! That limited my search for pre -96 models.

I am happier than ever with my Viper, used to own a -63 split window, that does not bother me its gone. Sell the Vette.
Where do you live? If you live anywhere near PA, I'll give you a ride and you should be sold after that. Thats what happened to me 2 years ago!
WHO CAN GIVE THIS GUY A RIDE???
Lauri

OP
OP
S

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in NW Florida. I drove a new '97 GTS in '97 but didnt get a very long drive. It was a dealer car that was sold already so I was not able to get a "good" test drive. One of the reason Im thinking about the Viper is exclusivity. Any kid with $15k can pick up a Corvette. The other car im thinking about is a '99 911 but I think I want to stay american made.
I thank all of you who have posted replies. I will not be able to get the car till around July due to a deployment. There is a '97 GTS in St. Louis on Autotrader.com for $35k and would love to get it but I wont have the money till I return. Looking forward to the summer.

cheers,
Jim

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim- I had a 95 Corvette. Deep Red Metallic w Tan Top, Nice Cars. My Viper- I had my engine rebuilt @ 18,000 miles. The chrome molley rings that Dodge used on the first 200 Vipers were to hard and would not wear in. Caused some "blow by" and would burn oil. At time of rebuild I updated the head gaskets and all is well. The rebuild was my choice, the car ran great. Just used some oil.
The more you drive these cars the better they seem to run. I have put 22,000 miles on my car in 18 months. This Viper experience has greatly exceeded my expectations
yesnod.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Engines are engines. If you take good care of them they will last forever. I would never consider a checy Small block as overwhelmingly reliable (especially compared to my Jeep I6 or Honda I4) I just think there are more parts and chevy based mechanics out there that keep gastly costs and failures almost boringly normal.

Lets face it, an LT4 or LS1 are practically common place when compared to the 488. One vette blows up and of course no one notices (or even cares much) but one Yellow RT catches fire 20 miles from the dealership and half the auto worlds knows about it the next day.

Other than the gasket thing (not to mention the high replacement turnover of rear tires) I've yet to seen any signs of the Viper being unreliable...

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'93 with 47,*** miles. Head gaskets replaced at 12k. No other problems whatsoever! The thing is faster than when I got it, extremely reliable, and never overheats! The biggest problem is that driving the car 5-10k a year is replacing tires.....

Buy one, you'll like it!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Vic,
No offense taken, I just think we all need to be more supportive when it comes to people looking for these cars.
Let's face it, they're all awsome (Gen 1 or Gen 2).
Have a good day all!

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spdrcrj

I live in Val P...work in Ft Walton Beach and at Eglin. It'd be good to have another Snake Driver in the area. I own a Red/Silver 2001, bought new last fall from Woodhouse. Only 1500 miles so far...trouble-free.

I may have driven the same FWB dealer Blue ACR Viper you drove...I was also looking at 911's (My neighbor has a 911 Turbo and a Boxster) and also at the ZO6 and C-5..I'm an old Vette guy, like many Viper guys.

I am very happy with the Viper...you can look up all the reasons on the board...the torque...the instant torque...the gawk factor etc. I love the Vette but there is no comparison to the Viper feeling...it is a totally unique experience...I can't drive this thing without an ear to ear grin. I intend to track mine...going to school in March...if you want to stop by and see mine send me a PM.

Good luck. BTW...if you're going to buy talk to Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse (800) 889-1893.

Paul

OP
OP
S

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has replied. This has been valuable information and has helped me decide to get the GTS. 1995 Corvette for sale.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Paul, you have a PM.
seeya.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21