Viper "Pack" to HOLD the sale price of our beloved Vipers!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price is relative to time.

High price = Long time (or never) to sell.

Low price = Lots of buyers. Maybe even a bidding war.

These are different times than just a year ago for automobiles. Except for 4 cyl they are all taking a hit. (Just like housing).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As everyone will attest to right now money is tight esp for luxury items like Vipers.Having bought and sold numerious Vipers over the past year your version of a fair price may be slightly different than actual value.Have you as a seller bothered to check either Galves or the Manhalm Auctions reports to see what similar Vipers of your year, mileage and condition are going for wholesale.Basically if you are trying to get more than a few grand over wholesale (esp in this market ,coming into the fall-09 model year)i do wish you the best of luck.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my GTS is not for sale, that makes the price unreasonable to those trying to buy it.

Because yes, for the correct amount of money, I will sell it.

And there are much better deals to be had right now than mine.

Pact +1.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what world you live in, but 12,000 built in 10 years (approximate production of Gen 1 & 2 RT/10's) is not "too many built". It's not 200 per year, but still relatively low production, rare to see on the street, hand-built, and pure fun.

I have my RT for sale... I did drop my price to $30K... but I am determined to not sell below that price!! I'll just hold on for as long as possible!

It's called Earth (or reality)...and you're welcome to visit it sometime and join the rest of us. ;)

I understand where you're coming from, but in defending it, don't allow your compassion for the car outweigh the logic of the world (here on Earth anyway lol). Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, over 16,000 Gen I & II Vipers were built over 11 years. Relative to production numbers of all the cars out there in the world, you would be correct, Vipers are rare. But this thread wasn't in reference to that point. It was in reference of depreciation - then, in fact, there were too many Vipers built (the 100 GT2 models excluded). Otherwise, we would not be conversing within this thread, nor would you have confirmed it yourself by that fact that you also dropped your asking price. :nono: :D

I agree with you about one thing, if you're not in dire need to let the car go (for under $30k), definitely hold on to it and enjoy it! :2tu:

Last edited:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were around 14,000 Shelby Mustangs built, and some of them are selling for well over $100k(some went for over $200k last year). In time our Vipers will be appreciated far beyond what we are witnessing today.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were around 14,000 Shelby Mustangs built, and some of them are selling for well over $100k(some went for over $200k last year). In time our Vipers will be appreciated far beyond what we are witnessing today.

In due time, the Vipers will turn around. Even the Shelby Mustangs went through a period of depreciation in the 70's. Although I think people in the 70's drove the Shelby's more and didn't care for them as well as Viper owners do. Dare to show me someone that obtains a Viper in a barnyard find!! :nunu: lol

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Approx a month ago I read an article in the WSJ that discussed how bad car sales were except for 4 cyl etc. Further into the article, it mentioned that a few vehicles were not affected by the downturn like you would have thought. The article quoted that the Dodge Viper was selling well due to it being a specialty vehicle. I do agree that a lot of things are off sales wise, but let's be realistic, with the extremely low production number of Vipers, doesn't it stand to reason that they are still rare and there is a lot of desire for a lot of people to have one? It is the Best Bang for the Buck for the Horsepower, especially the new 08s. See how much you will pay for 600 HP elsewhere. Supply and demand, basic Econ 101.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go try to find a 96 or 97 B/W GTS with under 10K on it UNMOLESTED and no stories for under 50K.
Repeat. NO stories and bone stock. Not gonna happen. People that have one know what they are worth, and they aren't giving them away. The desirable ones are still worth the money.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go try to find a 96 or 97 B/W GTS with under 10K on it UNMOLESTED and no stories for under 50K.
Repeat. NO stories and bone stock. Not gonna happen. People that have one know what they are worth, and they aren't giving them away. The desirable ones are still worth the money.

Well said and very true. :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree 100%. Take a look at all the Viper specialty dealers, they rarely have nice low mile Vipers like they used to. Some are even resorting to selling other type of vehicles. Nice Vipers are far and few apart and are still demanding a premium.

That said, yes, all performance cars and houses are in the gutter right now but similar to waterfront properties, premium Vipers are still in demand.

Now, can't we let this thread die as these Viper value threads really have no value for this forum and IMHO can be very misleading.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what... I'm not giving my Viper away... I just raised my price back to mid-$30K asking price.

It may take a while, but how bad is it to be "stuck" with a Viper?

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how the OP can feel this way - emotions come to play I guess. Everyone is taking a hit - the economy is not what it was a few years ago. If "someone" NEEDS to sell a car, why would you or ANYONE else interfere? You have NO IDEA the reasons why someone may want to sell a car - AND a car is only worth as much as what someone is willing to buy it for. That being said, if YOU feel your car price is fair, then simply stick with it and wait. All it takes is ONE buyer...if someone wants it bad enough then it will sell. If you however, sit on the car for a couple of years, then you will know you priced yourself out of the market. The same happens with houses or just with anything else you want to sell, especially now.

Regardless, good luck with the sale - you obviously don't "need" to sell it, so just hang tight and time will tell.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a quick search for what I was willing to sell mine on autotrader (not my asking price). I bumped the search up $1000 since most folks would negotiate at least that.

My car is a 2000 GTS, 18K miles

a sample from the 2041 results return within 25 miles of me

2003 Mercedes-Benz G-Class 4dr G500 63K miles
2006 Mercedes S430 43K miles
2006 BWM 330Ci 26K miles
2004 BMW M3 convert, 18K miles
2008 (NEW) Suburban
2008 (new) Jeep Commander
2009 (new) VW EOS
Then 3 more pages of New cars
2002 Prowler 25K miles
2003 Mercedes SL convert, 55K miles
2005 VW Phaeton 26K miles
1997 RT10 unlisted miles
2008 Tahoe, 2K miles
2008 Denali, 11K miles

I then killed the "dealer ads" and the number dropped to 15 listings Most of which were SUVs and BMWs 7/10 of a percent are private party....That's bit of a surprise. Think the dealers have some competition amongst themselves.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always heard the phrase "Resale Red" which indicates to me red cars tend to sell better. But from talking with dealers and brokers, a solid red Viper is a major stigma because there were relatively so many of them built. :dunno:

Which is probably why I had such a hard time selling my solid red RT/10 - any other color combo with a rebuilt title would have probably held its value better. :(

Or, "stripe it and they will come" :D

I would say that is especially the case with the '94 RT. After starving the market for these cars in '92-3, the floodgates at New Mack Ave opened wide and somewhere around 2500 '94 Vipers hit the streets - most of them RED with NO A/C. With this heavy production increase, the quality began to slip noticeably. IMO, the only worse colored '94 to try to sell is Emerald Green.

My wife and I drove from Troy to MIS at VOI #1 in our Black '93. We were in stop & go traffic in a little town along the way and several people began to cheer and clap for us. I asked why, and a couple shouted back - "something besides RED!" :crazy2:

Another major issue right now is the dirt-cheap price of brand new cars - especially pickups and SUVs with long warranties. If you can afford the fuel, you will probably not see pricing comparable to this for years to come.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always heard the phrase "Resale Red" which indicates to me red cars tend to sell better. But from talking with dealers and brokers, a solid red Viper is a major stigma because there were relatively so many of them built. :dunno:

Which is probably why I had such a hard time selling my solid red RT/10 - any other color combo with a rebuilt title would have probably held its value better. :(

Or, "stripe it and they will come" :D

I would say that is especially the case with the '94 RT. After starving the market for these cars in '92-3, the floodgates at New Mack Ave opened wide and somewhere around 2500 '94 Vipers hit the streets - most of them RED with NO A/C. With this heavy production increase, the quality began to slip noticeably. IMO, the only worse colored '94 to try to sell is Emerald Green.

My wife and I drove from Troy to MIS at VOI #1 in our Black '93. We were in stop & go traffic in a little town along the way and several people began to cheer and clap for us. I asked why, and a couple shouted back - "something besides RED!" :crazy2:

Another major factor to consider right now is if you've got $30-40k to spend on a vehicle right now, the marketplace is positively sick with brand new big-motor cars & trucks with long warranties that are being fire-sale priced to get them off dealer floor-plans.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as usual Dean is right. RED is not anywhere near as valuable as some of the other colors. and the 94 and 95 models are even less desirable (sorry guys) throw in the fact TOO many guys bought them just before bad times hit and couldnt afford them, there are a lot of deals out there.

CASH IS KING and its a buyers market

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe I should buy a ****** Viper in this market.

I have my heart set on an 09 ACR. If I can somehow get prefix to paint it in that Pink Jeep Tour Pink with black stripes I'm IN!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<---finaly someone gets it!!! (long-term)

add to that: about 12,000 426hemi's produced from 1966-1971 that are now selling for $***,***

Lemon_Twist

Enthusiast
Reaction score

97 B/W, 9,700 one owner miles, unmolested, zero mods, zero blemishes, no stories. Purchased from original 60 yo owner in June of '08 for $45,700. :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and i paid 30K for my 10Kmile 97 B/W, beat that!!!!

some people just dont get it...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the only worse colored '94 to try to sell is Emerald Green.

Boo!! Hiss!! Boo!!

Besides, I'll never sell it. Even if you get your original purchase price when you sell it, cars are always poor investments. The only return is the entertainment value. And I entertain myself driving it, not looking at it.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold a plane recently and took a hit on it. The only reason it seemed reasonable was that it was costing quite a bit in upkeep which was mandatory. By the time you pay for a hanger, rent, and annuals it can be pretty costly to maintain. If you have it, you really should be flying it at least every 2 weeks with one hour of flight now costing me about $90 an hour in fuel.

Now with the Viper the insurance for me isn't too bad. I don't have to pay any garage fees. If I drive it an hour it costs about 9 miles per gallon at 3.5 a gallon averaging about 45 miles per hour, oh about 20 dollars or less.

Why sell it if you can't get a decent price for it? It's not like it's costing alot for it to be just sitting there and being driven occasionally.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boo!! Hiss!! Boo!!

Don't take personal offense, Tom. I was going to order my '93 in emerald green, but when the time came to firm the order, there were only 2 choices available - Red or Black. The green just wasn't as stunning as I expected it to be.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take personal offense, Tom. I was going to order my '93 in emerald green, but when the time came to firm the order, there were only 2 choices available - Red or Black. The green just wasn't as stunning as I expected it to be.

Wow...the only color I like BETTER than the BLACK Viper is Emerald Green~!
Have you ever seen ViperJames' Emerald Green RT???? STUNNING! But, of course, to each their own color preference! :cool: ~juli
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=247&i=20070630630limerock0155sh3.jpg

(Disclaimer: ViperJames has sold this car since these pix...DRAT!!!)

Last edited:

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 73 Cuda that people are always offering me 8 to 6 grand less than what it is worth since I got it. Let's see I got it for $8,500 in the 90's and now it is worth $40,000 after a new paint job. I overpaid for my 93 viper, $35,000 but got new head gaskets, 10,000 miles completely worked over and I feel I got a deal. You can have it when you take the keys from my cold dead hands. If they are that cheap then try to get parts. Maybe I'll buy one for parts. I always run into people who regret selling their old mopars and have never found one who wished he would have sold his in the 80's or 90's. To many fast cars on the road right now with warrantees and the collection value hasn't kicked in yet.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I forgot about this tread. I was having a bad day that day! ha Anyways, I sold my car for what I was asking for it so I am happy. I did not need to sell it but I figured it was best to not have it while I was starting up my business. Looking to buy another one this winter! I would love a 96 b/w GTS with no stories for under $46K! Wish me luck!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and i paid 30K for my 10Kmile 97 B/W, beat that!!!!

some people just dont get it...

There are obviously decidedly different opinions of what "clean no stories" is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess you missed the point through my sarcasm. I didnt pay30K for my viper.

The Point:
Bragging about a "deal" that you got on your viper is not benificial to any of us owners because when people see the "deals" that others got, they expect to get the same for themselfs. This hurts the viper market. Especialy when someone is looking at a pristine car and lowballing the owner because they read on a internet forum that someone payed $XX,*** for a questionable condition car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960