Viper Parts of America charges restocking fee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week I ordered some parts from Viper Parts of America. One of the parts I ordered was a main bearing set .010 under for my GTS. I ordered it because it was on "closeout" and was about 1/2 of what I could get it from other internet sources. I went ahead and ordered a few gaskets at the same time to save on shipping as I've got quite a list to buy.

Got my order Thursday and my main bearing set was only a single bearing. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't find a whole set at VPA so I just ordered a new set from Rock Auto.

I contacted Viper Parts of America about the return and they say there is going to be a 20% restocking charge. Really? I've got to pay to send this overpriced single bearing back and now they want to stick me with a restocking charge.

As a former region president, I am appalled. I can't believe that the vendor that was created to serve our fellow viper owners is charging a restocking fee. BUYER BEWARE.

I still need to buy about $1000 worth of viper stuff to finish my project.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, prepare to be edited.

Sorry you had trouble. I've used both vendors and never had any trouble.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got my order Thursday and my main bearing set was only a single bearing. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't find a whole set at VPA so I just ordered a new set from Rock Auto.

I contacted Viper Parts of America about the return and they say there is going to be a 20% restocking charge. Really? I've got to pay to send this overpriced single bearing back and now they want to stick me with a restocking charge.

As a former region president, I am appalled. I can't believe that the vendor that was created to serve our fellow viper owners is charging a restocking fee. BUYER BEWARE.

With all due respect, that bearing, assuming that I am looking at the same item as you, is certainly being sold as a single bearing. The Viper Main Bearings are extremely expensive- the standard sizes are double the price you had paid for your O/S version. The aftermarket manufactures a main set for the Viper, but I do not use them or recommend them. Those aftermarket types are sold in sets, but the OE parts are always sold as a single piece.

All that being said, restocking fees on items which were not sent in error are the norm for smaller businesses. It takes time to package and ship an order, and time is money- and it takes time again to return and credit, AND as vendors we get stuck with the credit card charges even after we return the funds. While I very rarely ever have an order returned, why should the vendor suffer a loss because the customer chooses to not use the product or made a mistake? Without re-stock fees, customers very often buy more than they need, and then return what is left over. This causes losses on both sides of the sale, and stock levels that are unnecessary for small businesses, furthering the burden. In this day and age, the cards are stacked against small businesses, especially with internet sales. A margin of 5-10% is normal these days on common item internet sales, of which up to 3.5+% can be eaten up by credit card processing alone on certain cards- its crazy to say the least.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry you weren't happy with the reply you received when you asked what our return policy was, however it would have been a simple courtesy if you had expressed your concern to us by email. Note that other vendors, including the one you mentioned, also have restocking fees.

Mopar does not offer those bearings as sets, only individually as shown in the photo on our site. Additionally, we don't offer anything on "close out", but simply tried to give you the best price possible - saving you over $60.00 off retail on your order. We are sorry we couldn't be of more help but appreciate the opportunity to have served you.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had an online business since 1997 and we charge a 5% restock fee on returns within 30 days.
Doesn't even cover the expenses involved but it covers the credit card fees anyway.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used Viper Parts of America and have had great service. I would use them anytime. Look at the Viper member's site and look at the suspension of the person you are talking about. So if you had a negative experience from him, and post a complaint....... are you going to be treated the same way? Really?

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Parts of America has simply the best service, selection and honesty of any vender available.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the 'edit guy' too. I have used VPA with no problems as well though.

What...say it isn't so. My Froums brother has been edited--no way!

I've had good luck/success with VPA --I should buy stock in them.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week I ordered some parts from Viper Parts of America. One of the parts I ordered was a main bearing set .010 under for my GTS.

Sorry you weren't happy with the reply you received when you asked what our return policy was, however it would have been a simple courtesy if you had expressed your concern to us by email. Note that other vendors, including the one you mentioned, also have restocking fees.

Mopar does not offer those bearings as sets, only individually as shown in the photo on our site. Additionally, we don't offer anything on "close out", but simply tried to give you the best price possible - saving you over $60.00 off retail on your order. We are sorry we couldn't be of more help but appreciate the opportunity to have served you.

I understand the OP's error/misunderstanding. I could have made the same mistake myself as a novice in Viper engine world. Is the Rock Auto "name brand" bearing price for a full set or for one journal? It doesn't specify.

To the OP: Did you explain to the vendor that you thought that you were buying a set of bearings? There was no mention of it being a set on their site when you ordered; so, I understand why you might assume that it was for a whole set. Since the club owns VPA, I assume that you believe that we as club members should pay the cost of restocking for your mistake. I am OK with that since you are also a club member and I believe that you made a mistake and not a overbuy.

To the VPA rep: How you handle upset club member customers is important. Disgruntled customers are a fact of life. Your response here is not what I would expect from a club service to a club member even if that club member handled the response in what I would call an inappropriate format, given what is posted so far.

I see that the vendor rep has improved the website page to hopefully eliminate a future reoccurence. I appreciate that corrective action to prevent future misunderstandings. .

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we talking about 20% of $59?? You are really that tweaked over $11.80?

I tell you what. I'll pay the $11.80 if I don't have to read any more whining in this thread. It's like being stuck in the grocery line behind some old woman complaining that her 15% cat food coupon has expired.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Restocking fees are common for online businesses, for the reasons mentioned above. However, 20% is absurdly high for this. You basically covered the profit from your purchase and the next buyer's purchase with a rate that high. I'd expect to see 5-10% as the norm.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tell you what. I'll pay the $11.80 if I don't have to read any more whining in this thread. It's like being stuck in the grocery line behind some old woman complaining that her 15% cat food coupon has expired.

...or she's writing a freakin' check and she doesn't even get her wallet out of her purse until the clerk tells her the total...then it's...

tick, tick, tick...
"Where's my wallet? I know it's in here somewhere."
tick, tick, tick...
"Oh, here it is...now what was that total?"
tick, tick, tick...
"Let me fill out my check."
tick, tick, tick...
"What was that total again?"
tick, tick, tick..

...SON OF A ******! I love old clueless people.

OP
OP
O

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of responses here overnight. This is a hot subject.

I posted because I was surprised that a business set up for viper owners by viper owners would charge a 20% restocking fee. I understand credit card returns as I have my own business, but I do not charge my customers my processing fees (that would piss them off!) I know its only $12, but its the principle. I spent five days of my life last summer fighting a $200 traffic ticket that I was wrongly accused of, so YES I AM a man of principle.

My post, although edited by the moderators here due to another vender's name, was actually highly edited by myself before posting. I wanted to minimize the amount of emotion that could be read into it because I do understand how people can "read between the lines" on these posts. I just wanted to make everyone aware of VPAs policy as I was not aware myself. Knowledge is power.

Let me know if you think I posted something "unfair". I really couldn't believe that I had a single bearing and not a set. I had no idea that you could buy any main bearing for any engine individually because of the differences in bearings. Maybe that comes from my background of building SBCs and Pontiacs. Single rod bearings OK, but mains? I believe this comment to be more about myself than VPA. Overpriced? well, yes. $60 for a single bearing? That would put the set at $360. My name brand set from RockAuto was $180.

VPA did contact me via email to express concern over my "pointed" post and said they would have waived the charge if I hadn't had posted and would have complained to them directly. But I would never use my history as a 2 term president to get a special deal that other VCA members are not entitled to, and that is not

Isn't VPA owned by the club? Shouldn't members have a say in how the business is run?
I've been out of the loop for the last 4 yrs as I restored my '76 Trans Am SE. What's up with these guys?

Last edited:

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...or she's writing a freakin' check and she doesn't even get her wallet out of her purse until the clerk tells her the total....then it's...

tick, tick, tick...
"Where's my wallet? I know it's in here somewhere."
tick, tick, tick...
"Oh, here it is...now what was that total?"
tick, tick, tick...
"Let me fill out my check."
tick, tick, tick...
"What was that total again?"
tick, tick, tick..

...SON OF A ******! I love old clueless people.
that's good because some day we all may be one.... Happy Easter everyone

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, 20% restocking fee on parts you ordered and thought were something else ? you must be kidding. who in this world charges restokcing fees ? oh thats right, every single place known to man on the interwebs...

take your whining elsewhere

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point! I'll be happy to pay half of that $11.80.

What I don't understand is why anyone with a Viper, let alone two Vipers (I'm assuming by the avatar pic), would buy an internal Viper engine part from RockAuto?

Mind you, I have purchased things like wiper blades, radiator hoses and the like from RockAuto. But an internal engine part for a $10,000-$15,000 Viper motor. Really? Not a chance.

A friend of mine just blew a piston in his Ferrari. They are having a special sale on Ferrari pistons down at Pep Boys.
Buy 6, get 6 free with coupon!
:2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, based on the facts presented by the OP and others who have posted on this thread, and what is on the VPA website, nothing wrong was done by VPA.

Let's assume that it took 20 minutes or so to process the order and another 20 minutes or so to process the return and reinventory and reshelve the item. ( Yes. Reshelve the item. VPA is not a drop shipper. They get the part in to their facility and then ship it out.) Then assume, for discussion sake, an hourly labor rate of $18.00 which equates to a 40 hour a week salary of $720. 2/3s 0f $18.00 is $12.00. $12.00 plus the credit card fee is greater than the $12.00 restocking fee. Perhaps VPA should have a variable restocking fee which is adjusted based on the size of the order so the restocking fee actually results in a reimbursement of the amount out of pocket for the customer's mistake.

I am a person of principle also. One of my main principles is to own my own mistakes.

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think the 20% restock fee, while high for most industries, is there because the VPA really isn't a "cash cow" AFAIK. I mean, lets be fair, Vipers aren't exactly terribly common vehicles - so it can't be that profitable of an industry. Add to it, they have great prices for what they carry.

Not trying to make excuses, I think people should be aware of the restocking fee.

I was pissed at AMEX, AMEX Travel, and a hotel in Toronto in December, because I apparently booked the wrong date for a hotel and I couldn't get a refund. Was $110, so not bad, but I'll never make that mistake again.

Reaction score
To the VPA rep: How you handle upset club member customers is important. Disgruntled customers are a fact of life. Your response here is not what I would expect from a club service to a club member even if that club member handled the response in what I would call an inappropriate format, given what is posted so far.

I see that the vendor rep has improved the website page to hopefully eliminate a future reoccurence. I appreciate that corrective action to prevent future misunderstandings.

When this gentleman wrote to us about the return policy (via email) we simply replied to him what it was (also via email). No accusations, no "corrections" - we simply provided the policy, the return address, and an RMA number. We didn't point out that the listing clearly stated "bearing" (not "bearings"), that the listing never mentioned it was a set, and that the listing showed a photo of one single bearing. The only thing we did on the listing since then was add this at the end, "This is for a SINGLE bearing as sold by Mopar." We were then "called out" on the forums for somehow being disingenuous or not serving the club or its members properly.

We have paid for that bearing and no longer have that money to spend on any other stock. Instead it will sit on our shelves until somebody else needs one. And because it is indeed expensive, the demand is light and we may not sell it for a while. As noted, we are out the labor and credit card fees regardless, all something that must be accounted for.

We will review our return policy, including the percentage for restocking fees. Rest assured that they will continue as they do for most small businesses, but we will review them to see what we can afford to lose on these types of orders. This is our first such complaint so we apologize if we didn't address it correctly.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thoughts are the same.lol

F

FrgMstr

Yes, 20$ restocking is high for an online vendor, but live with your mistake, VPA's policies are clearly stated.

I think the VCA police and their fascist censoring of a direct competitor is a complete BS, regardless of the history with said vendor. I will continue to give him my first chance at business simply due to the way he is treated by the VCA Police State officials. His help and customer service simply dwarfed VPA for a good while and I think VCA's Police actions are nothing more than an attempt to eliminate competition. I run a computer hardware forum that has over 2 million visitors a month and I would NEVER think of something of this nature. It is simply un-American and a slap in the fact of capitalism.

That all said, I would suggest that competition has made VPA finally step up to the plate in terms of support and customer service over the last year. VPA and its service has gotten much better, period. Competition works, but only where it exists.

If you want to mute competitive vendors for their conduct, I fully support that. But don't mute the people that want to discuss that company. Someone should be ashamed.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VPA did contact me via email to express concern over my "pointed" post and said they would have waived the charge if I hadn't had posted and would have complained to them directly. But I would never use my history as a 2 term president to get a special deal that other VCA members are not entitled to,

So, based on the facts presented by the OP and others who have posted on this thread, and what is on the VPA website, nothing wrong was done by VPA.

I agree that the OP's thread has the appearance of being the wrong way to treat a vendor. HOWEVER , if what the OP says above is true, then the actions of the person running our club's business does not meet my standards of conduct either. It appears vindictive. ( and human. )

A response lthe following would have been what I would have preferred from my club's business to a fellow member: "We did not realize that this ireturn was due to a simple misunderstanding, and that the restocking charge would be considered to be egregious affront to reason. We have modified the website so that a mistake like this will be less likely to occur in the future and we will waive the fee in this case. VPA was formed as a service to our club members first and foremost and customer service is a number one priority. We regret that this misunderstanding caused such an emotional response for what we though was a reasonable fee to cover the costs involved."

There. Doesn't that seem more professional ? I bet this thread would have turned out much differently after a post like that. Cost to club = $12.00

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will review our return policy, including the percentage for restocking fees. Rest assured that they will continue as they do for most small businesses, but we will review them to see what we can afford to lose on these types of orders. This is our first such complaint so we apologize if we didn't address it correctly.

I missed reading this response before posting a few minutes ago. I agree with the issue that these kind of threads are very easy to be misread/misinterpreted, and that is why they are not how a conversation between a vendor and a customer should occur. Easy to get out of hand .

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the description of the bearing on VPA yesterday and I could see how the OP was mistaken. It did make mention of "bearings" in the description. I also now see that the description has been edited to state "SINGLE bearing"

I also agree that a 20% restocking fee is kind of ridiculous, especially for a vendor that is supposed to support the Viper family. In fact I find most places that charge a restocking fee usually do not get my business when there are other options.

With that, I would have no problem buying some items from VPA if I really desired, I would just make sure it wasn't getting returned. I read about the restocking fee prior to this thread and often research before I buy. Sometimes they are beat. With a company such as VPA I know I will get what I order. And that alone is worth something.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Fascist censoring"? What does that phrase have to do with the issue of someone who bought an item; returned it, and was charged a restocking fee? The VPA has competitors. Unless I am mistaken, they, for many or most of the parts they may sell, are drop shippers. They do not have the same overhead costs on drop shipped items. So comparing a business that drop ships with a business that buys the parts; takes posession; and delivers the parts from its own warehouse is not quite fair. Unless I am mistaken, MOPAR does not drop ship. So any MOPAR part ordered has to be bought by the vendor; received by the vendor; and shipped by the vendor. Based on the facts above, it appears that is what happened here.

More and more I see today a culture of victimization. A culture of "Its not my fault". A culture where it is not only permissible to not be responsible for your own behavior and its consequences but where many think there should be no consequence for acts of many types and kinds.

My view is that this thread should have never been started at all. To me, it is an example of not owning a mistake and acting out anger that should have been directed at oneself.

]

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 100% of the profits go to the Viper Club of America, why are there restocking fees at all?

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 100% of the profits go to the Viper Club of America, why are there restocking fees at all?

On that logic (or lack of )....... since the VCA owns VPA, I think all the VCA members should just take their Viper Christmas lists and go to the VPA warehouse and just take what they need.
Remember, Venom members get to take two trips through the warehouse!
:santa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper