Viper R-1??? WHAT IS IT?????

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost want to say its a cross between a Yamaha R1 and a Viper but.................. ;)
A VIN number may give more information....

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1b3jz65z04v101313

Running that VIN thru the homepage of carfax.com just shows the car has an 2004 Dodge Viper SRT w/the standard Viper engine with 8 records on file. I dont have a carfax account to go any deeper, but it does seem like someone just modded a SRT w/some decals and a couple other little things and now is trying to pass it off on Ebay as something its not. Misrepresentation on Ebay. Who would've thunk it? :eek:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe he did the decals him self and it stands for ricer I mean RACER 1.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't shoot me, but I kind of like that exhaust treatment. Has an aviation look to it. Of course, I would have to see it in person to be sure.

P550racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I E-mailed this guy and aslo called him. He told me right of the bat that it was a very mild aftermarket package. The following was his response to my E-mail.

1. The car was bought from Archer Dodge in Stafford/Houston in May 2005 Brand new.
2. R-1 package is not a dodge package, but a package developed by RENNWERK a German tuner of Mercedes Benz. In 2003 BRABUS (another German Mercedes tuner) & RENNWERK came out with packages for the new Gen 3 SRT-10 Viper, for the European consumption (due to the Daimler Chrystler connection). They were going to market the package to Dodge. They even opened a shop in the Memorial area, which is now closed. I guess they could not compete with the likes of [******], TNT and RSI etc. in the American market. The R-1 package was installed right after the purchase of the car in May 2005.
3. The 550 HP is at the crank (standard SRT-10 Viper has 500 HP at the crank). It is a very mild, subtle package. There is no motor work involved. It is simply a higher flow intake and exhaust with a single high flow cat and muffler on each side (even the cross over is retained). This is why it retains full factory warranty. Also this setup removes the high heat in the cockpit issue affeliated with the SRT-10. Then there is the subtle & classy (in my opinion)interior & exterior package which sets the car apart. Since the package is no longer offered, this makes the car unique.
4. I really do not have any extra documentation, the car is what it is. It has 609 miles and sits in my garage, under a cover 99% of the time
5. I live 20 minutes from Sugarland, close to Brazos Bend state park.
Best regards,

Seems to me at worst case it is a slightly personalized car that does make it slightly different than a bog standard SRT-10. I did do a little check on the car and it was first titled in May 2005, and has a perfectly clean CARFAX. The car is priced at under $70K for a 4 month old car with 600 miles, so I personally do not think that the remarks from Mr. Chad Fritz (owner of a 96 RT-10) and Atro Racing (who himself is a vendor of aftermarket parts) calling this a MISREPRESENTATION or a RIP-OFF are NOT VALID. If Dodge can do a 2-tone interior and call it mamba, or color it orange and call it copper head, [******] can name his car Venom 600 or TNT can call his car King snake, then I guess another tuner can call their's R-1 or P-1 or whatever the else they please. I guess the R in R-1 stands for RENNWERK which means Race factory in German, or maybe ricer in japanese or rickshaw in Sanskrit.

I would say nice looking car, unique and a great value for those looking for these attributes. Felt I had to come to the rescue of a fellow viper enthusiast who is probably losing his pants for selling a 4 month old, some what personalized car with 600 miles on the ticker. Just my $0.02s folks.

Be well
Paul

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet that solid stainless shift knob gets pretty hot under heavy use. I'm guessing you'd be buying a pair of driving gloves pretty soon after purchasing the car.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it's a Viper with K&N's, an exhaust, powdercoated wheels, and a shift knob. Woooohoooo! R1.... What a ****** bag!

P550racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,
You mean to tell me that you track your car but do not use gloves? (He He). I actually have an original aluminum knob on my 1955 Porsche 550 race car that does vintage events couple of times a year. The car is all aluminum no insualtion, cartpets nothing, has no top and sits in the sun on these occasions, but the shifter is never too hot to touch. We do use nomex gloves for racing. On my Ferrari 550 Maranello I have a factory solid stainless knob, this car never gets tracked, I have driven it on couple of long trips and on occcasions car does sit out in the sun, but the stainless never gets hot. My understanding is that aluminum radiates heat quicker and thus does get hot (knob application in most race cars). Stainless & titanium on the other hand, specially solid stainless & titanium can absorb much more heat before radiation. Also the finish of the metal makes a difference. Maybe it is just me, but the feel of solid metal, when shifting just feels good. In think I am old fashioned.

Be well,

Paul

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,
You mean to tell me that you track your car but do not use gloves? (He He). I actually have an original aluminum knob on my 1955 Porsche 550 race car that does vintage events couple of times a year. The car is all aluminum no insualtion, cartpets nothing, has no top and sits in the sun on these occasions, but the shifter is never too hot to touch. We do use nomex gloves for racing. On my Ferrari 550 Maranello I have a factory solid stainless knob, this car never gets tracked, I have driven it on couple of long trips and on occcasions car does sit out in the sun, but the stainless never gets hot. My understanding is that aluminum radiates heat quicker and thus does get hot (knob application in most race cars). Stainless & titanium on the other hand, specially solid stainless & titanium can absorb much more heat before radiation. Also the finish of the metal makes a difference. Maybe it is just me, but the feel of solid metal, when shifting just feels good. In think I am old fashioned.

Be well,

Paul

I'm the kind of poseur that likes to wear driving gloves whenever I drive my Viper. (I've got leather for the street, and CarbonX for the track.)

I have a MGW shifter knob now, but when I had the stock knob, I noticed that the shaft got pretty hot during spirited driving.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I agree with Paul 110%: While the "heritage" of this package is questionable, the value is not. It's a great deal for a four-month-old car with all of those goodies!

P550racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,
You are not a poseur, but an afficionado and an enthusiast.

Big Carrot,
I know us Viper folks are not in your class, did you not upgrade to a Porsche GT-2, or was it just the Turbo?

Insomniac,
That Hyabusa, that engine is a work of art. They sell a Track/street car in the UK called a Radical with twin Hayabusa motors that handles like a formula 1 car and blows the Enzo away in all aspects of performance, but it is a spyder with no top.

Be well,

Paul

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,
You are not a poseur, but an afficionado and an enthusiast.

Big Carrot,
I know us Viper folks are not in your class, did you not upgrade to a Porsche GT-2, or was it just the Turbo?

Insomniac,
That Hyabusa, that engine is a work of art. They sell a Track/street car in the UK called a Radical with twin Hayabusa motors that handles like a formula 1 car and blows the Enzo away in all aspects of performance, but it is a spyder with no top.

Be well,

Paul

we got Gary (the busa killer) Javo LMAO

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insomniac,

Be well,

Paul

Actually those are sold in the US, and just down the street here in Anaheim, CA www.radicalwest.com And it's not 2 busa motors, either a 1500cc I4 busa, or a 2.6-3.0L busa based V8. If your gonna talk chit at least get your facts straight.

P550racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Mr. acrdakota,
Do not quite know how to talk "chit". However my understanding is that the radical can be bought in a street legal trim in the UK but not in the US. You can import any thing in the US, however the Radical can only be used as a track car in the US. Maybe you can elaborate what a "2.6 - 3.0L busa based V8" is? I am getting a bit older, but I specifically remember them using a dual Hyabusa setup in a Radical. maybe it was a prototype, that sprung the "2.6 - 3.0L busa based V8". But it sounds like you are better informed than me.

Be well,

Paul

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well sort of but a friend of mine has developed a 2.0 litre V8 based on two Yamaha engine with mule is a cateram seven, wide body hits 60 in just over 2.5 seconds and produces over 240bhp both this and his newest motorsport engines have been fitted in Radicals, I drove the Caterham and it is blisteringly quick and will destroy about any car on the road and all for 90K dollars

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot,

I'm not knocking Vipers in general if that's what you were suggesting. I'm just laughing at the fact that the guy acts like he has some uber special package when the car only has four or five mods that most people do anyway. I love Vipers! I've had three, and they are still one of my favorite cars on the street. I'll probably own another some day. I just wanted a change of pace. My Porsche is "only" a turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery